Thinking of switching..

Tac

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
Erie, PA
I am a 10yr or so sub to Directv and I am thinking about switching to save some money. (Before Direct I was a 5yr sub to Dish)

I have a few questions -

1. I am considering the Top 200 package....does that promo price include the locals or are they an additional $12.00?

2. It seems package vs package is pretty similar....however, I am a sports guy. I really don't remember how the non-fulltime RSN's work. Could someone refresh my memory? Also, are your local RSN's fulltime?

3. How real is the picture quality issue?

4. Hopper 3 vs Hr-54?

5. 4k.....besides no fulltime channel is the dish offering of 4K close to Direct?

I think that's it for now. Thanks for the help!

I will take these two;

There is no significant difference. The only people that would see a difference are people that would hear a difference in there stereo sound using monster cables going to the speakers.

4. Hopper 3 vs Hr-54?

H3 by a mile. The H3 Joey set up is the Best DVR in any category by any provider.

And remember, an EHD with a Dish receiver is in addition to the internal HDD. And it works with any DVR on your account. DTV EHDs replace the internal HDD (still?) and are locked to that STB. The STB dies, you’ll never see what’s on the EHD ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
I am a 10yr or so sub to Directv and I am thinking about switching to save some money. (Before Direct I was a 5yr sub to Dish)

I have a few questions -

1. I am considering the Top 200 package....does that promo price include the locals or are they an additional $12.00?

2. It seems package vs package is pretty similar....however, I am a sports guy. I really don't remember how the non-fulltime RSN's work. Could someone refresh my memory? Also, are your local RSN's fulltime?

4. Hopper 3 vs Hr-54?

5. 4k.....besides no fulltime channel is the dish offering of 4K close to Direct?

#1 - The locals are included in the promotional price which is locked for two years.

4. Hopper 3 vs Hr-54?

(3) 1st thing I noticed when I swapped DTV for Dish, Quality, DTV is better, IMO. (My eyes don't lie). Too many friends with DTV, always notice better overall image, not enough to leave just yet...Please, I will not respond to a cable type pissing contest.

(4) H3, the best of the best.

(5) 4K (HDR) DTV offers more...I will be watching The Masters at a friends house on DTV. Amen Corner 11, 12, 13, & 15, 16 4K HDR.

Reactions: allargon

I have a few questions -

4. Hopper 3 vs Hr-54?

#3 - We've got a Hopper 3 and a Genie here that we can do direct comparisons on the same channels on the same TV and we all agree that there is virtually no difference in picture quality. Some HD channels look a little better on Dish and some HD channels look a little better on DirecTV but overall it's a wash on HD. Now SD is a different matter with Dish having the clearly better picture, at least on the eastern arc. :)

In terms of the EHD, does the Hopper 3 allow you to use both in internal HD and the EHD together, unlike Direct.

Is there recommended specs for the EHD? Looks like 2GB is max.

(3) 1st thing I noticed when I swapped DTV for Dish, Quality, DTV is better, IMO. (My eyes don't lie). Too many friends with DTV, always notice better overall image, not enough to leave just yet...Please, I will not respond to a cable type pissing contest.

(4) H3, the best of the best.

(5) 4K (HDR) DTV offers more...I will be watching The Masters at a friends house on DTV. Amen Corner 11, 12, 13, & 15, 16 4K HDR.
Will agree. We noticed a difference on day one on national channels like TNT and such. Locals and RSN looked the same

Reactions: LQQK
In terms of the EHD, does the Hopper 3 allow you to use both in internal HD and the EHD together, unlike Direct.

Is there recommended specs for the EHD? Looks like 2GB is max.

Yes and you can add up to three powered external hard drives up to 2GB each.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have an old 2GB thumb drive somewhere...I bet I could fit a whole half hour episode on it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
It seems package vs package is pretty similar....however, I am a sports guy. I really don't remember how the non-fulltime RSN's work. Could someone refresh my memory? Also, are your local RSN's fulltime?
RSNs are full time now.

Clarification on the EHD's.

The external hard drive on the Hopper is an archiving tool.

You do not record directly to it, you record on the internal and move those you wish to archive to the external.

There you can play them by choosing one of the external drives from the DVR menu.

Reactions: HipKat
At the end of the day Tv is Tv, equipment works virtually identical on all providers.

Only difference is really the number of tuners in the DVR, which don’t make a difference to 95% of the customers out there.

Look at the dish, Directv and cable packages and bundles and go with what works best for your needs and budget.

I am getting close to making a decision. I have a question- to save some money I was thinking of using the dish app on a fire stick for 2 lesser used TVs. The question is can those be used at the same time logged in to the account at my house. They would be connected to the WiFi, it would just save me the extra receiver fees.

Basically how many people can log into the account and use the dish app at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts