Thinking of trying Dish Networks...

zimaad

Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
Hey there,

I'm thinking of giving Dish a try since seeing their current deals for 4 rooms. I currently just have regular old analog cable for about $50/month with taxes but am readily willing to switch to digital of some sort for around the same price. I have a few questions about Dish though. Bottom line is that I don't want to sign up for a $39.99 package then get a $65 bill after taxes and fees and such. I appreciate any answers and advice any may have. If it matters, I'm in the Richmond, VA area.

1. With the 2 dual tuners, do I have to pay anything above the regular price monthly?

2. I had Dtv a few years back and a 31.99 package was 31.99....no taxes and all like cable companies have. How does Dish do it?

3. I live in the back of a cul-de-sac where the south facing part of my house is wooded. In order to get signal, something would likely have to go on my house somewhere. Is this part of std installation or would it cost an arm and a leg.

4. Is the sports pack any good to get different regional football games? I'm definately a football lover!!

Thanks!!

1. You only pay extra if one of them is a DVR, then you have to add $5/month DVR fee.

2. There will not be any other fees on your bill unless your state now requires sales tax (or other taxes) to be collected. States across the US have been tacking on the charges lately.

4. Sports pack will not have any professional games on it (out of market ones will be blacked out).

Football on Dish Network not unless its a local team the Sports package on Dish is for either college football or Cricket no NFL. Sounds like you need the Sunday Ticket.

I had Dish for the past 2 years & there's no looking back for me.

I believe that to get local channels I need to get a Superdish in my area (Richmond, VA). Why would it be an issue to mount that compared to a dish 500??

Also, with the sports pack, I assume I'd be able to get college games from around the country. Am I correct in assuming this?

Guess the easiest thing will be for me to call dish and get them to assess my home for getting dish. Just seems like I get more things for the same price I pay now!!

zimaad said:
I believe that to get local channels I need to get a Superdish in my area (Richmond, VA). Why would it be an issue to mount that compared to a dish 500??

Also, with the sports pack, I assume I'd be able to get college games from around the country. Am I correct in assuming this?

Guess the easiest thing will be for me to call dish and get them to assess my home for getting dish. Just seems like I get more things for the same price I pay now!!

Mounting a superdish requires a bit more space and rigid structure than does a dish 500. It weighs like 6 times as much, is like 3 times as big, and utilizes support arms for much needed stability. These factors in themselves doesn't mean its going to be an issue to install.

I had the understanding -- that with DHA (digital home advantage -- the package your likely interested in ) even the dual tuners (322/522/etc) you paid the 5$ fee per - and in the case of a dvr, the additional $5 on top of that.

I'm going to get some installers out here to see if they can get signal. I have trees probably 40' tall in my back yard, so it may not work. Worst case, I cancel the order and stick with overpriced cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)