this ad caught my eye

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

breathe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
So i was watching local channels the other day and a Cablevision ad came on talking about the rate increases with dish. What caught my eye was they were talking about what you get for the increase. They said "Their America's Top 60 package includes 16 public intrest channels and 12 shopping channnels, thats almost half"

Is this true? Yikes....Im on the everything pack, but if i were on AT60 and half the channels i paid for were useless I'd definately consider something else.

Not quite true. Yes. The number of shopping and PI channels is almost correct. 14 PI and 12 Shopping. But, it's not really almost half. I still count about 40 "real" channels, too. Plus, there's 4 religious, and a couple of horse racing channels, which could go either way. I consider them a waste. But, let's not forget the Christian compulsive gamblers out there.

Just Sunday I called and reduced my account to AT60 from AT120. With the small handful of channels I ever watch, it ended up being that I was basically paying $11 more a month just for Discovery Health channel. That is one of my favorite channels, but I decided it's not worth an extra $11 per month. I never really used the Sirius channels, for music I always tune to The Tube on my FTA system. :D

As of now, I'm quite happy with AT60. There's not much if anything less than that available for me, since I'm a DHA no-committment account.

Same here Tux
I use to have AT120 for the Multi Sports Package (Pre AT60+ days) basically for college hockey.

Dropped to At60 when hockey ended...and then down to locals only :)

I get my hockey fix on FTA :D:D

Same here. I downgraded to AT60 and lost only one channel that the kids watch, Noggin.

But before doing that, I PVRed the most watched programs, they keep on being repeated anyway.

I've been using the free cable that came with our place since our move. The picture quality is about the same except when a car with a crappy alternator drives by. Not the cables fault though. When it was put in RJ-59 was the thing to have. First chance I get I'm replacing the feed line into the house with RJ-6 and fixing the problem. I have to wait till the landlords are gone though since they are a tad bit touchy about that stuff. They won't notice any differencesince their feed line that'll come off the new RJ-6 is to hard for me to replace. They'll still be stuck with the old junk.

;)

Channel lineup though is great. It has all the channels we watched, more locals from different cities, and additional "real" channels we didn't have with Dish. The real kicker is it's their basic channel lineup. Frankly I got tired of the damn rate increases and occasional shopping channel thrown as a bone to make me feel better about getting hosed. I didn't go through and try and figure out how much of the AT60 pack was crap channels and "real" channels but I felt from all the ones I turned off almost half were crap shop channels.

I'd say the ad is fair. IMO at60 only has about 34 real channels the rest are junk.
AT120 only has 53 "real" channels to me.

breathe said:
Im on the everything pack, but if i were on AT60 and half the channels i paid for were useless I'd definately consider something else.
You're paying for these useless channels too. AT60 subscribers are just paying a lot less.

There are only a couple of channels I miss since switching from cable but I'm paying about $8 less per month and get a DVR (something our cable co. didn't offer).

breathe said:
So i was watching local channels the other day and a Cablevision ad came on talking about the rate increases with dish. What caught my eye was they were talking about what you get for the increase. They said "Their America's Top 60 package includes 16 public intrest channels and 12 shopping channnels, thats almost half"

Is this true? Yikes....Im on the everything pack, but if i were on AT60 and half the channels i paid for were useless I'd definately consider something else.

Yep, I also downgraded to top 60 (from 120), removed their pathetic HD package and only kept HBO + Showtime. If it weren't for the "kids" (a 20 and a 17 y.o. still in the house...), I'd go with locals only.

it seems alot of people are downgrading. i had to have the 120 due to nogin for my kid and techtv for me. after techtv went away, i was going to downgrade, but didn't want to upset my son.

I'm sticking with AT120. It's still a great value compared to what I'd pay to get the same thing from cable and D* is out of the question. I also enjoy getting the sirius music channels in the package.

I'm thinking of downgrading from at120 to at60 too. I pay 11 bucks for one channel... the wife's Lifetime Movie Network

I would be more likely to downgrade if it wasn't for the fact that they waive the DVR fee in the AEP package. i would get charged another $10 a month just in DVR fees alone plus the combination of packages makes it a little cheaper. If I were to drop a few movie packages I probably wouldnt save anything.

In the AT60 package I get 80 channels including my locals so about 1/3rd of the channels would be "junk" if you get the locals included.

MustangLX89 said:
... When it was put in RJ-59 was the thing to have. First chance I get I'm replacing the feed line into the house with RJ-6 and fixing the problem. ...
I sure hope you're gonna replace the RG-59 with RG-6 swept to 2150MHz or better). :rolleyes: ;)

Noggin and Boomerang are the main reasons I keep the 180 package (for the kids ;)). And my wife would probably kill me if I removed them, she needs something to keep a 4 and 2 yr. old occupied when she does chores.

Dropped the movie packages a long time ago though, we were barely watching them, so was a big waste of money.

America's Top 60 is like your essential channels package. You get a pretty good mix of Cable's extended or Preferred package. But America's Top 120 should be the package that most people get if they want a good selection of chanels and a comparison to D* and digital cable. America's Top 60 is really more for customers who're fine with locals only or for the seldom TV watcher.

At our home, we have AT180 and that's bit of an overkill. We'd do AT120 if it were not for the darn Golf channel not being a-la-carte anymore.

I got my Mom signed on with Dish, she had the basic and extended package with Cox and was paying around $48.00 a month after taxes and all the local fees were thrown in. She has the 120 plan and with the use of a couple of the Cub Dish cards her bill is now right around $35.00 a month. She has all the channels she had with cable, except the golf channel but she does'nt mind. For a 73 year old on a fixed income $13.00 a month is a good chunk of change. Heck Dish 120 versus Cox saves a person about $3.00 a month just in the "local" fees and taxes.

Most customers that sign up for service for the first time through me get AT60 then the second most popular is AT120. Few order premium movie packages. I think they end up upgrading later on if they do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts