This can't be right....can it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PROF4NE

Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Livonia, MI
Ok so, I just got DirecTV whole home installed today and I noticed this thing called the "Deca"?? It's hooked up to my router and from what I've read is used for Cinema/VOD, but what I don't understand is why its constantly using bandwidth.... The ethernet light on my router is constantly flickering now and I have a tremendous amount of latency when running speed tests and what not.

Is this seriously supposed to be like this? I will definitely be considering to do an immediate cancel if this is the case. But somehow I think that something must be wrong, there would be no way anyone would want this thing if all it does is eat bandwidth 24/7.

Thanks.

Ok so, I just got DirecTV whole home installed today and I noticed this thing called the "Deca"?? It's hooked up to my router and from what I've read is used for Cinema/VOD, but what I don't understand is why its constantly using bandwidth.... The ethernet light on my router is constantly flickering now and I have a tremendous amount of latency when running speed tests and what not.

Is this seriously supposed to be like this? I will definitely be considering to do an immediate cancel if this is the case. But somehow I think that something must be wrong, there would be no way anyone would want this thing if all it does is eat bandwidth 24/7.

Thanks.

It eats bandwidth all day and night. However, it shouldn't be taken that much. I'd give it 24-48 hours to see if it slows down. I don't see a secs sucking so much bandwidth you're seeing lag in speed reports

You may see an increase in the first 24-48 hours as it downloads stuff for the VOD channels. I know they take a day or so, but what comes over satellite and what comes over internet I am not sure.

my HR34 is hooked up to the internet and as I look right now the only blinking light on my router is ethernet 1 (my computer)
#2 (the HR34) is solid

So yeah once it adds the VOD it will slow down to barely being used

It has slowed down a bit, almost a complete stop, which is nice but......I still don't like the fact it's always going to eat up some bandwidth. If I wanted, could I unhook it from the router at the times I need absolute zero interference?

Oh and one more thing, I have a standard receiver hooked up to a standard tv and I'm getting the old fashioned diagonal lines running up the screen. I have tried changing wireless channel on router just in case that was the cause of interference like it was when I had Dish. Anyone know a way to fix it?

the Standard receiver should have a Bandstop filter attached to the satellite in cable. If it doesn't, call direcTV and they will send you one for free.

the Standard receiver should have a Bandstop filter attached to the satellite in cable. If it doesn't, call direcTV and they will send you one for free.

I really have no idea what you're talking about...Mind telling me where exactly I can look for this?

Edit: Ok, sorry I just looked and I actually do have one installed. I tried fiddling with it to see if it would clear up, but I got nothing. The lines are faint, but still noticeable, especially during dark scenes or stations that are Letter Boxed.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess its a D12-700? Have you tried moving a different tv in to see if its that? You said you had the same issue with it when you was with Dish, sounds like a possible tv issue

I'm going to guess its a D12-700? Have you tried moving a different tv in to see if its that? You said you had the same issue with it when you was with Dish, sounds like a possible tv issue

It's a D12-100. With Dish though, they were much worse and made noise, but changing the wireless channel for my router fixed it. So it was only a 1 time thing. The ones I'm getting from DirecTV are really vague but are still noticeable. I wish I wouldn't have even noticed them at all because that all I'm focusing on now while watching TV.

hows the receiver connected to the TV?
If it's through Coax, then try changing from channel 3 to channel 4 (or vice versa), theres a switch on the backof the receiver to select which channel it outputs on.
Or, try changing to Video Output (Yellow, White and Red cables).
3rd thing.. if its connected via Coax.. try changing the coax cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts