This is just NOT making any sense on 123.0W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Finally thought I had tuned in 123.0W on my 12 Ft Mesh Dish since I was able to find with the Satellite Meter some signals on that Bird. That is I can get:
Tp 11905 / 4452 H3/4 at S= 62 & Q = up to 43. I can also get Tp 12078 with Q = up to 15. Yet when I try to Blind scan in 123.0W all I can pick up is Ch 1, and another Channel called KBS but both are displaying No Audio OR Video.

This is completely confusing as to why I cannot get any more channels on 123.0W. Took some pics today to show my Dish Pointed at 123.0W, see pics 1 and 2, then moved it back to 97.0W /Galaxy 25 which is my South Satellite for my location - Winnipeg Canada - Latitude 49.92 and Longitude West -97.05 see pics 3 and 4.

Could this be an F/D ratio or could my Feedhorn orientation be slightly off as I have been able to get other Satellites from 72.0W over to 127.0W. One other thing I noticed today and took a picture of is on the Bar connecting the Elevation Adjusting Bar ..... there is a very slight Bend in it to the left of the Dish Mount, see pic # 5. Could this part of the problem?

It is really strange that I can get up to S= 67 on Tps 11720, and 11800 (but Q = 0) on 123.0W yet there is Nothing there to scan in? Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00997.JPG
    DSC00997.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
  • DSC00999.JPG
    DSC00999.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC01033.JPG
    DSC01033.JPG
    849.2 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC01016.JPG
    DSC01016.JPG
    862.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC01024.JPG
    DSC01024.JPG
    546.6 KB · Views: 196
How are you controlling polarity?

Rule of Thumb for the Corotor II:
Ku @ 10:30, C @ 4:30

" It is really strange that I can get up to S= 67 on Tps 11720, and 11800 (but Q = 0)"

You have to have Quality to get a Channel to scan in.
Try for the "White Springs" channel on 129west

"there is a very slight Bend in it to the left of the Dish Mount"
If it is not a pivot point and does not move or change when the Dish moves, you are probably OK

How are you controlling polarity?

Rule of Thumb for the Corotor II:
Ku @ 10:30, C @ 4:30

" It is really strange that I can get up to S= 67 on Tps 11720, and 11800 (but Q = 0)"

You have to have Quality to get a Channel to scan in.
Try for the "White Springs" channel on 129west

"there is a very slight Bend in it to the left of the Dish Mount"
If it is not a pivot point and does not move or change when the Dish moves, you are probably OK

Lak7, I am controlling polarity using my old Uniden 9900 Receiver that came with my Mesh Dish. I have 2 Channels only on 123.0W on Ku Band and the confusing thing is even though I can get TP 11905 up to a Q = 45% (which Lyngsat says is Feeds), I still can't get any other of the Strong Tp's like 11720 or 11800??

I tried for what is designated Satellite 128.9W on my Receiver for White Springs but could not find any channels?? This seems unusual since I can Pick Up the Pentagon Channel pretty regularly on Tp 12100 on AMC 103.0W (after hitting the Skew Button) with a Q up to 40, and BBC on 127.0W, and I finally got ONN on 74.0W to the East on Monday with a Q=40. Yet not much at all on 123.0W on Ku Band - but I have it on C Band re a channel called ABC Backhaul with only Color Bars on it with a Q =75, and other channels with Sound but no Picture??

ONN on 74west is a Strong TP, you should be able to get Q70+
You may not be tracking the Arc very well

Thanks Lak7, so is it the Elevation / Declination adjustments? Seemed like when the wind was blowing hard yesterday the Dish was tracking better especially on the Pentagon Channel, thought I saw Q go up to 50 once. Also previously when I lifted the Dish, Quality got better so guess I need more adjusting, I'll recheck 74.0W also for East / West alignment.

"so is it the Elevation / Declination adjustments"
Yes, just like a Little Dish, if you can bring the Receiver and TV to the BUD, it should make things quicker. When I was fine tuning my BUD for Ku, I was making adjustments by counting the number of "Faces" on the Nut.

"Seemed like when the wind was blowing hard yesterday the Dish was tracking better ..."
"Also previously when I lifted the Dish, Quality got better,,,"

Ku on a BUD is very touchy, the wind can / will affect the alignment.

if its overshooting the arc on the west you would need to check the east satellite to see how its doing .

if you have to raise the dish on the east satellite then too much declination
if you have to push down to receive signal then north south axis to far east

i wouldn't suspect the elevation is off due to you getting good signal in the middle of the arc
i really don't think the declination is off due to the same reason listed above
so i would suspect that you will have to slightly adjust the whole mount west in very small increments like 1/8 of an inch. mark the pole & mount before making any adjustment so you can come back.

Just pouring heavy rain the last hour here with massive wind lightning & thunder, so I guess all adjustments are off at least til tomorrow. Lak7 what do you mean by Faces, on the Adjustment Nuts, is that threads?

if its overshooting the arc on the west you would need to check the east satellite to see how its doing .

if you have to raise the dish on the east satellite then too much declination
if you have to push down to receive signal then north south axis to far east

i wouldn't suspect the elevation is off due to you getting good signal in the middle of the arc
i really don't think the declination is off due to the same reason listed above
so i would suspect that you will have to slightly adjust the whole mount west in very small increments like 1/8 of an inch. mark the pole & mount before making any adjustment so you can come back.

Thanks Gabshere, yes and I have gone as far East as Pas 9 / 58.0W, and got quite a few Religious Channels, Foreign, and Cooking channels - very interesting Satellite. Quality is averaging out to about 60 on all Channels - but then that is C Band which seems a lot easier to pick up on my 12 Footer. Also Pas 9 is extremely close to the East Limit of the Dish. So I'm reluctant to go there too often especially with today's severe thunder storm.

Thanks for the Tip re Declination the confusing part is it varies depending on where I measure it on the 2 Bars, that is: it is 6.60 when I get on the step ladder & put the Sears Digital Level up in the middle of the Polar Mount and Small Bar, but if I measure it from the Ground it reads 6.50 which is BELOW the Objective of 6.61 for my Location? So I guess I may need to slightly Readjust the Declination!!

Not recommended ku Band with mesh dish.

Finally thought I had tuned in 123.0W on my 12 Ft Mesh Dish since I was able to find with the Satellite Meter some signals on that Bird. That is I can get:
Tp 11905 / 4452 H3/4 at S= 62 & Q = up to 43. I can also get Tp 12078 with Q = up to 15. Yet when I try to Blind scan in 123.0W all I can pick up is Ch 1, and another Channel called KBS but both are displaying No Audio OR Video.

This is completely confusing as to why I cannot get any more channels on 123.0W. Took some pics today to show my Dish Pointed at 123.0W, see pics 1 and 2, then moved it back to 97.0W /Galaxy 25 which is my South Satellite for my location - Winnipeg Canada - Latitude 49.92 and Longitude West -97.05 see pics 3 and 4.

Could this be an F/D ratio or could my Feedhorn orientation be slightly off as I have been able to get other Satellites from 72.0W over to 127.0W. One other thing I noticed today and took a picture of is on the Bar connecting the Elevation Adjusting Bar ..... there is a very slight Bend in it to the left of the Dish Mount, see pic # 5. Could this part of the problem?

It is really strange that I can get up to S= 67 on Tps 11720, and 11800 (but Q = 0) on 123.0W yet there is Nothing there to scan in? Any comments would be very much appreciated.

I have a bud 10 ft mesh with bsc621 lnbf.
I wanted get Ku band with that and I cannt.
Its very hard get signals of ku band with that.
I install a hh motor with a 3 ft dish and old lnbf.
Works very good.
I watch all fta channels of Ku band and C band.

That 12' dish will be focused very tight on KU band. Your polar axis will have to be dead on to get good ku. Be sure your feed is centered on struts and looking at the exact center of the dish. Measure from the edge of the dish to the edge of the scalar ring in three different directions. Each side and bottom. Make sure your measurements are identical in all three direction.

This is critical on a big dish like you have.

Your focal distance is also very critical. You can set your rough f/d with the marks on the feed horn.

I have a corotor like that and it gives remarkable performance.

Just be patient as it can take a little tweaking to get a big dish tuned on ku.
You will get it.
I always lock in a c-band tp on a sat first since c-band is easier to get. Then go to the ku side of the same sat.

... re Declination the confusing part is it varies depending on where I measure it on the 2 Bars,..
If you cannot be certain the declination is perfect, then I'd consider it close enough...
...and then refer to the chart at the bottom of this page on the Geo-Orbit site.
Use the chart to see if you have too much or too little declination, and adjust accordingly.
That is the final proof you are aligned - tracking the arc
Regardless what your inclinometer says... or where you stick it. :eek: - :D

Thanks for the encouraging replies Truckracer and Anole. Your both right, guess more patience and Tuning is required.

Truckracer, the way I have set the F/D ratio is to use my Satellite Meter dialed in on 97.0W & get up on a 7 ft ladder and move the entire C / Ku Band Feedhorn in and out until I get Maximum Signal - trying very hard to ensure the LNB's on the Corotor II are centered in the FeedHorn holder Bracket. It's a bit tricky with my setup because you have to drop it up or down then try to close up the set screws on the Clamp arrangement that holds the Feedhorn while tying to keep it level!! See pic #4 above. Then go back in the house and cycle the Actuator for Maximum Signal Strength.

Anole, speaking of the Geo-orbit pages. - from really detailed reading yesterday it said if the Middle Sats are okay, then tweak up (or down) the Declination a Bit. But I'll also look into Gabshere's suggestion of moving East / West Alignment a bit after Chalking the Pole again. East /West Alignment re slight movements would NOT work when I tried to fine tune in on 123.0W on Ku Band after I moved the Dish to 123.0W on C Band which should be the approx same location?

Jerry
I know what your going through on the alignment lol i'm tuning up my old 10 fter and its a bull so i know that 12 fter is a pain .....i can tell you this that 7 1/2 fter would be easy to tune on :) compared to the larger ones.

what i'm doing is tuning in the arc on c-band and will have to come back after i get c-band and try adding ku.

if rotating the dish slightly didn't work on ku signal and you feel sure that the feedhorn & scaler are properly set then you can try the method Lak7 mentioned .....

and this might be a tradeoff from one satellite to the next ( you might lose a bit of signal at one satellite to gain a bit on another)

you might try adjusting the elevation in micro adjustments one , two, three or even four nut facings of a turn and check your signals on several sats.

Jerry
I know what your going through on the alignment lol i'm tuning up my old 10 fter and its a bull so i know that 12 fter is a pain .....i can tell you this that 7 1/2 fter would be easy to tune on :) compared to the larger ones.

what i'm doing is tuning in the arc on c-band and will have to come back after i get c-band and try adding ku.

if rotating the dish slightly didn't work on ku signal and you feel sure that the feedhorn & scaler are properly set then you can try the method Lak7 mentioned .....

and this might be a tradeoff from one satellite to the next ( you might lose a bit of signal at one satellite to gain a bit on another)

you might try adjusting the elevation in micro adjustments one , two, three or even four nut facings of a turn and check your signals on several sats.

Thanks George, I'll try again tomorrow. One thing I did observe today is that Pentagon channel is coming in amazingly better with Q up to 50, after a quick skew adjustment, and just 2 weeks ago I could barely pick it up and in fact I had to manually scan it in because Q was only 10 at that time on Tp freq 12100. Have they increased the Power on it in the last week? You can't help but like that singing cook on that channel!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts