This is L.A. baseball?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
JUST A FEW SHORT YEARS AGO, coming out as an Angels fan was like admitting to a secret admiration for the Clippers. Like the Clippers, who play in the shadow of the Lakers, the Angels were the perennial second choice of a city that belonged to the Dodgers.

But now the Angels are playing baseball in October — and they're doing it on national television for the first time as a "Los Angeles" team. (Of course, they still have some work to do growing into their new name; during Tuesday night's loss to the Yankees, Fox announcer Joe Buck said, "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim — do we have to keep saying that all night?")

The Angels' success is no fluke . When Arte Moreno bought the Angels in 2003, shortly after the team won the 2002 World Series, he quickly went to work. He spent millions for top talent such as outfielder Vladimir Guerrero and pitcher Bartolo Colon. He lowered notoriously high beer prices.

And in January, in a transparent ploy to assert his team's presence in the nation's second-largest media market, he changed the name of the team from the Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. It was an attempt to become L.A.'s team in name if not in fact.

The Dodgers retaliated by plastering the city with billboards that read, "This is L.A. baseball." Team officials also refused to list the Angels on the Dodger Stadium outfield scoreboard as "LAA," preferring the more geographically correct "ANA."

Unfortunately, the scoreboard also recorded every one of the Dodgers' losses, and there were a lot of them: 91, the team's second-worst season since moving from Brooklyn in 1958. Although every team has its bad years, this one was especially difficult because the team had done so well last year.

The Angels may need more than a few successful seasons to take over as Angelenos' hometown team. But they are hunting for their second World Series title in four years, and they're representing Los Angeles on national television. Maybe that name change wasn't so silly after all. Check back with us after the World Series.

Source

Angels, blegh...

it's hockey season, get with it man...Guys are already getting suspended for eye gouging and the season hasn't started yet...

EYE GOUGING...think about how freaking AWESOME that is while you're watching baseball players scratching their balls tonight...

baseball...BLEH

HOCKEY IS BACK!!!

Hockey playoffs...much better than baseball...why?
Because different teams make it each year :)

Again, Different strokes for different people - Baseball playoffs is like nothing you have seen before. Wrong thread to talk about Hockey.... :)

Just for the record, the Angles started out as the Los Angeles Angles playing their games at Wrigley Field located at 42 Place and Avalon, Los Angeles. That's right, Wrigley Field. Phil Wrigley owned the LA Angles Pacific Coast League team and Gene Autry had to buy the territorial rights from him and the ballpark was part of the deal. They played there for one season, 1961 before moving to Dodger Stadium for the 62, 63 seasons. The love loss started early, when that bum Walter O'Malley was lobbying to move the Dodgers to LA, Gene Autry was his biggest supporter, when the Cowboy wanted to bring in the Angles O'Malley tried to block him. In 64 they moved to Anaheim and became the California Angles then Anaheim and now back to Los Angeles. The Wrigley Field in Los Angeles was Wrigley Field long before it's famous counterpart in Chicago and met the wrecking ball in the early 60's. The origional "Home Run Derby," a TV show during the late 50s was filmed there.

Diamond Jim said:
Just for the record, the Angles started out as the Los Angeles Angles playing their games at Wrigley Field located at 42 Place and Avalon, Los Angeles. That's right, Wrigley Field. Phil Wrigley owned the LA Angles Pacific Coast League team and Gene Autry had to buy the territorial rights from him and the ballpark was part of the deal. They played there for one season, 1961 before moving to Dodger Stadium for the 62, 63 seasons. The love loss started early, when that bum Walter O'Malley was lobbying to move the Dodgers to LA, Gene Autry was his biggest supporter, when the Cowboy wanted to bring in the Angles O'Malley tried to block him. In 64 they moved to Anaheim and became the California Angles then Anaheim and now back to Los Angeles. The Wrigley Field in Los Angeles was Wrigley Field long before it's famous counterpart in Chicago and met the wrecking ball in the early 60's. The origional "Home Run Derby," a TV show during the late 50s was filmed there.

Wow that is some cool info. I am a A's fan but love the whole game of baseball and its facts!!

BlackHitachi said:
Wow that is some cool info.

Their caps were cool also. They were dark blue with a red bill with LA (in the same font as their present uniforms) inter locked in red and white. Now the cool part, they had a white circle around the complete top to represent a halo.

The Wrigley Field part always perks people up.

Frankly, I live near Los Angeles and couldn't give a rats a@# about the Dodgers or the Angels. Los Angeles fans are probably the lamest in all of sports. By the 7th inning, the crowd starts clearing out so they can beat the traffic. Great fans huh? Go Chicago!!

They wait until the 7th? Wow, they're more devoted than you give them credit for, and i'm sure LA traffic is a bit heavier than most other markets...

People leave games early everywhere, it's not always a knock against the team. Consider what time it is, what the weather is outside (think basketball and football on the east coast in the winter...), etc...

Sorry, I don't buy it. If you're a fan you don't go to the game so you can leave early. I have a perfect example for you. I was at a Lakers game about a year ago when they were playing Dallas. At the end of the 3rd quarter the Lakers were down by 30 points and virtually 25% or more of the crowd had left the game. What they ended up missing was the 2nd greatest comeback in NBA history with the Lakers winning 105-103. The "true" fans got to witness this amazing game. The typical L.A. fans got to listen to it while they "beat the traffic".

sidekick said:
Sorry, I don't buy it. If you're a fan you don't go to the game so you can leave early.

I know what you mean, my father in law got pissed at me because we were at a hockey game and the score was 10 to 3 after 2 and I wouldn't leave. That ended up being the final and I couldn't make him understand it was the principle of the thing. I drove 70 miles one way, paid for 60 minutes of hockey and I was going to watch 60 minutes of hockey. He's never gone again.

Another example, I have gone to the Indianapolis 500 34 straight times, I have friends (and I notice other people) packing up and leaving around the 185th or 190th lap, why? You guessed it, to beat the traffic. The start and the end are the most exciting times of the race, if you want to beat the traffic, stay at home.

Diamond Jim said:
I know what you mean, my father in law got pissed at me because we were at a hockey game and the score was 10 to 3 after 2 and I wouldn't leave. That ended up being the final and I couldn't make him understand it was the principle of the thing. I drove 70 miles one way, paid for 60 minutes of hockey and I was going to watch 60 minutes of hockey. He's never gone again.
most of the time I'd agree, Jim. But last Saturday UMD was stinking the place up losing 5-1 1/2 way through the 3rd and I left. Couldnt take much more of it :)

Another example, I have gone to the Indianapolis 500 34 straight times, I have friends (and I notice other people) packing up and leaving around the 185th or 190th lap, why? You guessed it, to beat the traffic. The start and the end are the most exciting times of the race, if you want to beat the traffic, stay at home.
now this is just stupid! Why would you leave a race before its done?

Heck man i just went to the Raiders, cowboy game. Started tailgateing a 8:00 when they let us in watched the game that started at 1:15. When the game was over we walked back to our rides and started BBq'ing again. LOVED every minute of it!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)