Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
For those experienced with 4DTV this may same like a Stupid Question - - but here goes.

I just purchased a Motorola DSR-922 which will come in a couple weeks. I fully intent to sub to 4DTV but I'm a bit confused by certain things.

I understand that 4DTV is now only available on ONE satellite 105W - - - and according to the seller the 922 that I purchased has NOT been bricked and the battery only changed 1 month ago. What I find confusing is that Lyngsat shows
Digicipher 2 on many other satellites - - - (why cannot I sub to those?)

I also read about Skyvision, SRL, H2H, etc - - - are all these the same or different companies that do the same thing?

I used to have SkyAngel both on Satellite and IPTV and at this time I'm not really interested in going back towards Dish or DirecTV or even IPTV. I guess something about a big dish seems fun to me - - - I have been given 2 ten footers, 1 six footer and 1 6.5 foot Radio Shack dish but don't have any of them up and running yet. Lack of time is a big factor for me - - - but at least one 10 footer IS going up this spring either fixed or moving. No question here - - - just trying to be understood. I feel somewhat like I arrived at a great football game - - - - 5 minutes after it ended.

A big part of me wants to make the 10 footer move from the time I put it up but another part wants to fix it only on 105W. Pro's and Con's?

I'm sure I will have numerous questions going forward but the draw of big dishes has me and I must do this.

A big part of me wants to make the 10 footer move from the time I put it up but another part wants to fix it only on 105W. Pro's and Con's?

I'm sure I will have numerous questions going forward but the draw of big dishes has me and I must do this.

You do know about dvb free to air, right? Plenty of stuff to watch on those channels. Plenty of reasons to make your 10 footer movable. All of these chs are free. There's literally thousands of them. Of course, a lot of it is foreign programming, but there's other stuff up there as well. You're likely are not going to find HBO in free mode like that, but you might be surprised what you do find. To find out more about that you would need to go to the appropriate forums. You could still sub with your 922 at the same time. You just need a different receiver for the dvb signals, and some dc blocks, etc.

Regarding Digicipher signals the reason you can't buy them is because the powers that be won't sell them to you. SRL is the only provider now through Comcast Cable. This stuff is not MASTER quality
but it is the best you can get. Skyvision works with SRL. Some Digicipher is technically FTA but you have to hunt the Satellites. Getting a true FTA HD receiver is a good suggestion as it can be slaved to the 922.
There is a lot up there! Pick the best dish and set it up to be movable and have great fun surfing the satellites. Read up on proper installation and get help you will need it.

The fact that certain troglodytes do not want to sell to people is just plain stupid because what will happen is the asinine idea of encryption will be broken and the mostly pointless programs
will be "taken" anyway. It is just human nature to poke into seeing things you cant see and to know that which you do not know. "Intellectual property" what a lame and insidious concept!
God if it exists has the only rights to any knowledge and does not seem to enforce them.

Programming on 105 west H2H sold by SRL & Skyvision isn't first generation quality but looks better than any other SD provider out there. You can learn more here. 4DTV | 4DTV Online By TvroPro | The Official 4DTV Info Site | C Band Satellite Programming | 4D Map Master

FTA DVB & even DC-2 is a great thing to mess with. You will be surprised with the things you find and treats from time to time. Make your dish movable and put up the 10 foot. Use the 4DTV as your master receiver & dish mover and DVB as a slave.

The big dish is not dead as many want you to believe it's alive and well the rules have changed thats it.

You have a master and a slave. One receiver controls the dish movement and polarity (master) in this case 4DTV and the DVB receiver (slave) uses that as a tool to receive the satellite signal to it.

You do know about dvb free to air, right? Plenty of stuff to watch on those channels. Plenty of reasons to make your 10 footer movable. All of these chs are free. There's literally thousands of them. Of course, a lot of it is foreign programming, but there's other stuff up there as well. You're likely are not going to find HBO in free mode like that, but you might be surprised what you do find. To find out more about that you would need to go to the appropriate forums. You could still sub with your 922 at the same time. You just need a different receiver for the dvb signals, and some dc blocks, etc.

I should have said I already have a fair amount of KU experience - - - my motorized KU dish currently has 30W to 125W using a Openbox S9. Thus I'm really interested in C-Band and 4DTV. I've done some limited C-Band but ZERO 4DTV.

You could put the 6 footer up and aim it at 105w x4 w5 and sub to H2h thru srl... 105w is very powerfull and doesn't require a super large dish. Then get a Gbox positioner; that would interface well with your openbox. Run the openbox / gbox setup with the 10 footer

Last edited:
bingo

This is what I was going to add:
You could put the 6 footer up and aim it at 105w x4 w5 and sub to H2h thru srl... 105w is very powerfull and doesn't require a super large dish. Then get a Gbox positioner; that would interface with the well with your openbox. Run the openbox / gbox setup with the 10 footer
Since there's only the one bird doin' subscription service, if you have the room, dedicate a small dish to it.
That way, service is always available (maybe for someone else in the house) while you are off with your big 10 inch/foot BUD looking for other things. ;)

Only thing I'd add is that a Vbox X dish controller is much less expensive (by about 1/3$) and more readily available on fleabay than a Gbox. ;-) I've got two dishes up now with Vbox Xs controllers and plan to add one more before summer is gone. I've got a 12ft Conifer that will get a Vbox X and and I've got another that is a 6ft Janiel Junior that will probably be "fixed" on one sat (maybe X4). If you've got multiple dishes and the space to mount them, then the sky is the limit for ya and welcome to the "unknown"! ;-)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)