This needs to be said of V21 Again and again and ....

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 13, 2004
Indiana
I know we are all on the HD band wagon but... In my opinion the Voom 21 channels are so unique I would sub to the package even if it was SD. The Voom programming even on a SD analog set looks DVD quality. This is not to say if D* or E* got hold of it it would be soft HD lite as HD and unwatchable on SD. Voom does a fantastic job on image quality. Another thing that enhances the overall experience is the 5.1 sound of course.

Before I ramble on and on the point I am trying to make is Voom 21 is strong enough on it's own to stand on it's own as a add on. Cable or DBS providers please pick this up where I can still view it! I am with Bright House Cable for a hint to Chuck Thanks

Let me ask you something Indy. If these channels were in SD would you waste your time watching them? I think not!! Once the novelty of HD wears off nobody is gonna give a rats behind about the Voom21. Maybe thats why there is not a rush to sign up these "wonderful" channels.

juan said:
Let me ask you something Indy. If these channels were in SD would you waste your time watching them? I think not!! Once the novelty of HD wears off nobody is gonna give a rats behind about the Voom21. Maybe thats why there is not a rush to sign up these "wonderful" channels.

I work from home and watch Voom on an analog set in the office. I don't have any rat's asses to give you anyway but did give my opinion and I do care. The whole point of my praise of Voom 21 programming is to look past the image quality to the programming it's self. No one else is doing Rave, Rush, Equator, Monsters and so on. This is original thinking outside the mainstream programming parameters. Then again this is from the man that brought us HBO in 1977. Way to go Chuck! Keep up the thinking outside the box! :)

There are very few channels anywhere that are available that are worth a rats ass but somehow they find themselves on bird. I am not sure I would go as far as INDY because Iwould watch anthing as long as it was in HD. The experince makes it so different and allows to to experiece TV differently than if you saw it in SD. But that is my opinion. I hope there is a way of finding a place for the V21 somewhere or at least a good portion.

gutter said:
There are very few channels anywhere that are available that are worth a rats ass but somehow they find themselves on bird. I am not sure I would go as far as INDY because Iwould watch anthing as long as it was in HD. The experince makes it so different and allows to to experiece TV differently than if you saw it in SD. But that is my opinion. I hope there is a way of finding a place for the V21 somewhere or at least a good portion.

Good point. V12 might make a better package.
(V8 has a catchy ring to it.)

On further review make it V15...

gutter said:
May the best post I've seen on this site: but to late all of the nonbelivers and such have won: sorry no new game now: we have to go back to 5 or so HD's for next two or three years : great job Voom Bashers you won:: or did you??

juan said:

juan you are making a judgment call to something that you have not been able to watch. I have been fortunate to watch all the HD channels available today. This includes HDnets and INHD plus all the movie and sports HD channels. Certainly for those of us who have been able to watch Voom21, we appreciate the high quality programming and production dedicated to them. Some of us may have different taste of it but we can never question the production and quality that they bring to the HD Arena. Although you can find some program do cross over from the HDnets and INHD and movie HD channels, the majority of programming has been unique and well presented over the course of the two years of VOOM existance. Will they be welcomed to the Mass with a different provider, I can assure you that they will. Just from the top of my head, I can tell you that MonstersHD, EquatorHD, RaveHD, WorldsportHD, RushHD, GalleryHD, HDnews and HDCinema10 (in a shorter version or 24/7 channels) will make it by themselves. The question is not whether these channels are worth. The question is whether the current providers have any bandwith to put them on and are willing to pay for the content. Every HD enthusiasts that I know will welcome them without even thinking. Those with different agenda other than HD will say a whole lot and say nothing. I feel that without any doubts any E* or D* HD subscriber will appreciate the HD channels along with what is currently available through their respective providers. Whether they will carry them at some point, it is still not known.

Granted that the VOOM 21 look great on an analog set I wouldn't subscribe to them if they originated in SD. Yes, some of the content is "original" but much of it can be found elsewhere and the only thing making them unique was being in HD.

Equator is so similar to PBS, Discovery, NGC that it is not very original. Rave may as well be called PBS Music. I can watch the same content on PBS months before it shows up on Rave. Similar programming on Rush and Worldsport can be found on other sports channels. I don't even need a TV to see content like what's on Lab, Auction, Gallery. Ultra HD is actually a HD version on Fashion TV. They have the same exact shows one just happens to show the content in HD and the other in SD. Similar content on Animania can be found on on any of the cartoon or children's channels. Content on the 11 movie channels can be found on any basic movie channel.

It is the ability to view all this content in HD that makes VOOM 21 great.

Sean Mota said:
juan you are making a judgment call to something that you have not been able to watch. I have been fortunate to watch all the HD channels available today. This includes HDnets and INHD plus all the movie and sports HD channels. Certainly for those of us who have been able to watch Voom21, we appreciate the high quality programming and production dedicated to them. Some of us may have different taste of it but we can never question the production and quality that they bring to the HD Arena. Although you can find some program do cross over from the HDnets and INHD and movie HD channels, the majority of programming has been unique and well presented over the course of the two years of VOOM existance. Will they be welcomed to the Mass with a different provider, I can assure you that they will. Just from the top of my head, I can tell you that MonstersHD, EquatorHD, RaveHD, WorldsportHD, RushHD, GalleryHD, HDnews and HDCinema10 (in a shorter version or 24/7 channels) will make it by themselves. The question is not whether these channels are worth. The question is whether the current providers have any bandwith to put them on and are willing to pay for the content. Every HD enthusiasts that I know will welcome them without even thinking. Those with different agenda other than HD will say a whole lot and say nothing. I feel that without any doubts any E* or D* HD subscriber will appreciate the HD channels along with what is currently available through their respective providers. Whether they will carry them at some point, it is still not known.
I was just "asking" if anybody would actually watch these channels if they were SD. I have been a cablevision subscriber for many years I have seen many of Chuck Dolans channels . Other than sports channel(which he charged 10 bucks a month for) most were subpar at best I am talking about "news 12" "we" "amc" "metro" etc. My point was once most other channels become HD these channels will likely just be a waste of bandwidth

bryan27 said:
Granted that the VOOM 21 look great on an analog set I wouldn't subscribe to them if they originated in SD. Yes, some of the content is "original" but much of it can be found elsewhere and the only thing making them unique was being in HD.

Equator is so similar to PBS, Discovery, NGC that it is not very original. Rave may as well be called PBS Music. I can watch the same content on PBS months before it shows up on Rave. Similar programming on Rush and Worldsport can be found on other sports channels. I don't even need a TV to see content like what's on Lab, Auction, Gallery. Ultra HD is actually a HD version on Fashion TV. They have the same exact shows one just happens to show the content in HD and the other in SD. Similar content on Animania can be found on on any of the cartoon or children's channels. Content on the 11 movie channels can be found on any basic movie channel.

I think you are looking at the glass half empty here. It is not only a question of what it is today but the potential that the channel can get giving a good string of revenue. GalleryHD programming was very unique and was not found on the HDnets on INHD. Yes, EquatorHD did have lots stuff from the PBS channel and some from the Discovery Channel. EquatorHD produced very little unique content but they were getting ready to do their own production but it was cut short. I personally EquatorHD because although not perfect, it gave me the chance to see them in HD without the multicasting problem that PBS is offering in my region. I have to get PBS from CT since in NYC there is no local PBS. Not only this but PBS is not carried DD5.1 and most of it is on a part-time basis. The same thing with RaveHD, not all was PBS soundstage and the same problem. The potential for both channels are there if they have revenue where to draw. We never saw HDnews to reach its potential. We saw glimpses of it but never really to a full 24/7 HDnews channel. Could we have seen it? Yes, it was in the work until everything was stopped. Animania would have done a great job by getting all the old cartoons and convert them but that never happened either. The questions still remains "what if".

juan said:
I was just "asking" if anybody would actually watch these channels if they were SD. I have been a cablevision subscriber for many years I have seen many of Chuck Dolans channels . Other than sports channel(which he charged 10 bucks a month for) most were subpar at best I am talking about "news 12" "we" "amc" "metro" etc. My point was once most other channels become HD these channels will likely just be a waste of bandwidth

I agree with you about SD. If they were SD, it will become like any other channel. HD/DD5.1 is the selling point. SD well (IMO), I will not keep in favorite list. As a matter of fact my favorite list does not go beyond 25 channels currently so anyone can have those SD channels and put them in a trash can as far as I am concerned.

The queston everyone should be asking is "if the V21 are so compelling that other cable/satellite providors should offer them is Why doesnt chuck offer them on his own cable systems?

Yes, Voom 21 are great any which way BUT I still know they make one of the most powerful HD packages.

Let's face it you've got to give to get. Give Monsters, Kung Fu, to those who need it, I don't, but I want Anamania, Majestic, Ha Ha, Family Channel, Rave, Gallery, AucttionHD, Worldsport, sometimes Lab and every morning HDNews.

Where they go I will follow.

I agree with everything Indy said, and add one more great positive of the VOOM21 - whether viewed in HD or not --- THEY ARE COMMERCIAL-FREE! And that is a big deal!

GalleryHD may have been my favorite Voom channel. Where else would you get that content - HD or not - and COMMERCIAL-FREE??

Without the Voom21 and its great content and being commercial-free, I don't know that I will bother with TV. I will not subscribe to HD-Lite services loaded with TV commercials and garbage content. Voom was truly unique.

I hope I will see the Voom21 somewhere again after April 30....

Sean Mota said:
I agree with you about SD. If they were SD, it will become like any other channel. HD/DD5.1 is the selling point. SD well (IMO), I will not keep in favorite list. As a matter of fact my favorite list does not go beyond 25 channels currently so anyone can have those SD channels and put them in a trash can as far as I am concerned.

Sean, that was the same thing I was trying to convey. Indy said he would sub to the channels even if they were in SD. If these channels were provided in SD the content isn't compelling enough to subscribe by most people. It is being in HD that makes those channels. I do agree that the channels look great on an SD set, but if a provider provides those channels in SD they aren't going to look all that great and they would just be like all the other channels on cable or satellie.

I'm pretty sure the business plan for the V21 channels was the same as AMC, the Rainbow SD old movie channel. You all may remember that AMC had no commercials for the first year or two. Then, when they had a significant number of viewers, they began breaking up the movies with commercials. That's how they pay the bills. V21 may have done it differently, by putting ads between movies in the future, but sooner or later it would have happened.

To be honest, if the Voom21 were avail as SD only I wouldnt want it. Its the HD factor that made some of the repetition tolerable. If I had to pick 3-4 channels that I watched most it would be MonsterHD, UHD, Rave, & Kung Fu. Unfortunatly the Kung fu channel has gotten very boring since Ive watched most everything they showed this month and now its constant repeats. I even scanned the guide thru the end of month and saw not one title that hasnt already been shown numorous times. I was really hopeing since they show clips of it that they would run Heroic Trio at least once before the end but that just isnt gonna happen unless they suddenly change lineup for the rest of the month. To me it would seem to make sense at this point to stop the repeats and just run as many titles as possible tween now and the 30th as a farewell gift.

Anyway like I said if V21 was only in SD then I wouldnt buy it as the value isnt there.

juan said:
The queston everyone should be asking is "if the V21 are so compelling that other cable/satellite providors should offer them is Why doesnt chuck offer them on his own cable systems?

That speaks more of Cablevision own problems (bandwith) more than V21. They have no bandwith available.

Sean Mota said:
That speaks more of Cablevision own problems (bandwith) more than V21. They have no bandwith available.

No one has the bandwidth right now, Comcast is having trouble in certain areas just to add TNT-HD by the 24th of April, until they get the analog stations cleared off all cable companies systems, it will be a while for a lot of HD channels, as far as bandwidth on D* and E*, I think we already know the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts