THIS TV OTA IN KANSAS CITY

Multi-cast as I understand it is : stations moving from analogue to digital are freeing up bandwidth and now have the capability of broadcasting multiple streams on the same channel. In Kansas City our ION statioin broadcast 1 channel analogue until the change over but is already broadcasting 4 different streams or different digital channels. I have heard most channels will be able to broadcast from 4 to 6 different channels. So our local CW station, channel 29 is broadcasting 29.1 which is CW programing and 29.2 which is THIS TV.
Some one else may be able to give a more technical answer. I understand that KCTV 5 in Kansas City will be broadcasting the .2 (dot2 network) sometime after April.

All I know is that 2PM on a Monday, I already had three channels called "9.x", four KCPTs, five KTAJs, two KSHBs, and four IONs. I can't imagine 16 and 50 having the money to license nine frequencies between them, and considering the UGLY picture on 16(*5), I just assumed that these stations were already multicasting.

All channels for each station are on one carrier - one frequency.

With SD they can pack 5-6 digital "channels" on one frequency.

We have one frequency with two 720p and one 480p channel on it.

neil hit it pretty much right. They're also called subchannels

Here in Minneapolis the only ones with subchannels are PBS & Ion...all network owned Ion stations have 4 channels (Ion, Qubo, IonLife & Worship)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)