Those were the days...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Very nice bobvick. But I'm not that old. We had a small table top radio and I also used a crystal set.
Speaking of crystal radio, maybe you old guy like me can answer something. I have looked all over Google and can't find a picture of what I had.

When I was six years old (1958) my buddy up the street's father worked for WQXI, 790 AM. (they station WKRP In Cincinnati was based on) and he gave me a Bakelite ear cup that had a wire with an alligator clip on the end. If you clipped it on metal (especially a hurricane fence) you would hear WQXI. No dial, no volume, no other station but 790 AM. Anyone remember something like this or know how it worked?

Back in 7th grade I made my own crystal radio. It was a piece of wood with a coil attached and a metal pivot bar that could be positioned along the coil for tuning and a "wisker" wire to connect the crystal. Can't remember what I used to hear the sound, but it worked.

Yeah, me. I saw one in operation at my cousin's house in CA. I believe the way it worked for a nearby station of sufficient power was the alligator clip made a crappy diode when clipped on some metal.
Thanks. I sure wish I still had mine. But being 5 years old, I probably traded it for a comic book. One that's probably worth $10,000 that I traded for some Bazooka Bubble Gum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)