Those were the days...

Very nice bobvick. But I'm not that old. We had a small table top radio and I also used a crystal set.
Speaking of crystal radio, maybe you old guy like me can answer something. I have looked all over Google and can't find a picture of what I had.

When I was six years old (1958) my buddy up the street's father worked for WQXI, 790 AM. (they station WKRP In Cincinnati was based on) and he gave me a Bakelite ear cup that had a wire with an alligator clip on the end. If you clipped it on metal (especially a hurricane fence) you would hear WQXI. No dial, no volume, no other station but 790 AM. Anyone remember something like this or know how it worked?

Back in 7th grade I made my own crystal radio. It was a piece of wood with a coil attached and a metal pivot bar that could be positioned along the coil for tuning and a "wisker" wire to connect the crystal. Can't remember what I used to hear the sound, but it worked.

Yeah, me. I saw one in operation at my cousin's house in CA. I believe the way it worked for a nearby station of sufficient power was the alligator clip made a crappy diode when clipped on some metal.
Thanks. I sure wish I still had mine. But being 5 years old, I probably traded it for a comic book. One that's probably worth $10,000 that I traded for some Bazooka Bubble Gum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)