Those were the days...

i was the remote too and also dad's bartender, the ole while your up get me another beer. But at least he let me see the night my world changed The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
I remember the Elvis Presley on Ed Sullivan night. It was his first appearance there. My cousin and I had to do battle with my aunt to watch it. My uncle stepped in and OKd it. Oh what a night!

Reactions: charlesrshell
my world changed The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
We had a console in the living room and a B&W "portable" on a wheeled stand. We all were sat down in the living room to see that Ed Sullivan show. Now I (12 years old) was the one who liked music while my sister (14), who liked who she liked was very resistant to this new music coming over the Atlantic and was bad mouthing them all day as we waited. But, hoo-boy, the very second the camera zoomed in on the opening song with Paul McCartney singing "All My Loving", she screamed, stood up and ran to the room where the portable TV was and locked the door so she could watch alone. Unfortunately, it was MY week to have the portable.

We had a 19" B&W Motorola TV (with a metal cabinet) until 1971 when we got an RCA AccuColor New Vista "Ortega." Before that the only relative that had color was our aunt and uncle (an RCA round-tube color TV in a metal cabinet with a big gold V at the bottom and C O L O R above it) and we'd go over there on SUnday nights to watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and the Wonderful World of Color.

Yes of course there was. I had no wires attached to me. It was my job to change the channel when my dad or mom chose it.
OK - THAT made me laugh out loud. I remember being the remote too! "Son, change the channel to CBS. MASH is getting on."

While we're remembering stuff that we saw on TV, today is the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. I remember exactly what I was doing when I was watching that one. :)
I do too. I was watching the moon landing on our tv and outside looking at the moon thinking that there were Men on the Moon. It was a week before my 7th birthday.

LOL on TV
Used to work graveyards when I first got out of high school in 80. So I was up in the afternoons before work and got hooked on ABC soaps. This was pre VCR days. Ryan’s Hope, All My Children, one Life to Live and General Hospital , even Edge of Night before it went off. General Hospital had Luke and Laura saving the world from the evil Mikos Cassedine played by the guy who was the villain on the original Battlestar Galactica. That summer the writers were on strike and the Soap used scab writers that wrote Sci-fi plots and adventure. Stopped watching in 86 when Luke and Laura made their last visit as a married couple.

I only watched All my Children and One Life to Live till they went off network tv in 2011. I watched those two soaps online where they continued for a year or so till they were cancelled. Started watching a General Hospital again when some of the characters from One Life to Live were integrated in to General Hospital. There was a legal dispute between Prospect Park and ABC over who owned the characters so they had to change them back out and make those actors play new parts. I still watch General Hospital ,but mostly out of habit since some of the characters have been on that show close to 40 years. I don’t see this soap lasting into the next decade and if it goes , then my soap watching will be over.

Used to work graveyards when I first got out of high school in 80. So I was up in the afternoons before work and got hooked on ABC soaps. This was pre VCR days. Ryan’s Hope, All My Children, one Life to Live and General Hospital , even Edge of Night before it went off. General Hospital had Luke and Laura saving the world from the evil Mikos Cassedine played by the guy who was the villain on the original Battlestar Galactica. That summer the writers were on strike and the Soap used scab writers that wrote Sci-fi plots and adventure. Stopped watching in 86 when Luke and Laura made their last visit as a married couple.

I only watched All my Children and One Life to Live till they went off network tv in 2011. I watched those two soaps online where they continued for a year or so till they were cancelled. Started watching a General Hospital again when some of the characters from One Life to Live were integrated in to General Hospital. There was a legal dispute between Prospect Park and ABC over who owned the characters so they had to change them back out and make those actors play new parts. I still watch General Hospital ,but mostly out of habit since some of the characters have been on that show close to 40 years. I don’t see this soap lasting into the next decade and if it goes , then my soap watching will be over.

WOW, you are hooked on SOAPs too. I remember watching The Edge of Night in the late fifties with my grandma. Then Dark Shadows caught my attention in the late sixties. Also I remember watching General Hospital in the eighties. Then when I met my wife in 2000 I got completely hooked on The Young and Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, and As The World Turns. I use to record all the episodes with a VCR till Charter's DVR took over and now of course the mighty Hopper. ATWT went off the air seven or eight years ago. The first thing we do when my wife gets home from work everyday is watch Y&R and B&B. It is like a rush. :coco Hope they don't ever go off the air. :)

Reactions: JSheridan
WOW, you are hooked on SOAPs too. I remember watching The Edge of Night in the late fifties with my grandma. Then Dark Shadows caught my attention in the late sixties. Also I remember watching General Hospital in the eighties. Then when I met my wife in 2000 I got completely hooked on The Young and Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, and As The World Turns. I use to record all the episodes with a VCR till Charter's DVR took over and now of course the mighty Hopper. ATWT went off the air seven or eight years ago. The first thing we do when my wife gets home from work everyday is watch Y&R and B&B. It is like a rush. :coco Hope they don't ever go off the air. :)
Loved Dark Shadows when I was a little boy in Arkansas in the late 60s. Used to rush home to see that show after school. I watched the entire series again from start to finish in the 90s when we first got Primestar Satellite in 95.

If they cancel my soap I will adapt. After all I’ve watched Laura Spencer on G.H. since she was a teenager and now she’s in her 50s just like me. Bobbie who used to play Luke’s sister looks really bad with wrinkle free plastic face and wrinkled neck. Just looks more and more like Carol Burnett’s Nora Desmond character. At a certain point it might be better not to see them get much older.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)