Thought I'd never do it...but I did...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I just called Dish and cancelled my service.

That was spooky as I have had them since 1999 when the "top" package was AT100 :) Was up at one point to AT180+Supers+Sports Pack+4 receivers
But alas, money, buing a house and price increases made me downgrade to AT60 and 2 receivers a couple years ago and down to just locals (I lose my Supers sometime during that time) about 6 months later.

But when it came down to it (having just locals..which I "moved" to keep) and WPIX I couldn't see paying 13 bucks when all I kept it for was UMD hockey (MN Duluth mens hockey is on the ABC station).

So I guess now I am an EX-Dish customer......weird

I know...you probably didnt need to read another "I left Dish" thread but unlike some of the others where they say
-Dish sucks I'm leaving
-Help me keep Dish and not go to _________________
-I can't get _______________ receiver for free so i'm leaving

I'm just saving some money and getting rid of Dish. That's all :)

I've had DISH 6 years now, and also have FTA like you do, Mr. Iceberg, and I
can see the time when I will quit DISH also. The $400 811 revr. I got 3 months
ago was supposed to be an investment, not yet another useless contribution to
those few who get very wealthy off of high tech. I remember about 1981 mail ordering a timex sinclair "personal" computer which they delayed shipment 3
months after dropping the price (which I paid) from $149 to $99.
So it isn't even a matter of whether I want this or that service but paying for
heat and then cutting back other stuff which I don't need; and anyway I can
see jctv and fashion tv for free on Telstar 5 with my non-motorized big dish.

Peter

Iceberg said:
I just called Dish and cancelled my service.
That was spooky as I have had them since 1999 when the "top" package was AT100 :) Was up at one point to AT180+Supers+Sports Pack+4 receivers
But alas, money, buing a house and price increases made me downgrade to AT60 and 2 receivers a couple years ago and down to just locals (I lose my Supers sometime during that time) about 6 months later.
But when it came down to it (having just locals..which I "moved" to keep) and WPIX I couldn't see paying 13 bucks when all I kept it for was UMD hockey (MN Duluth mens hockey is on the ABC station).
So I guess now I am an EX-Dish customer......weird
I know...you probably didnt need to read another "I left Dish" thread but unlike some of the others where they say
-Dish sucks I'm leaving
-Help me keep Dish and not go to _________________
-I can't get _______________ receiver for free so i'm leaving
I'm just saving some money and getting rid of Dish. That's all :)

I have seriously contemplated this too. My Dish bill is at around $80/month, and honestly most of the programming we watch is on local OTA HDTV, coupled with some Sci-Fi (battlestar).

Has nothing to do with "dish sucks" as you say but more why am I spending that amount of money each month? I have been thinking of getting a HDTV OTA DVR (maybe Tivo Series 2) or perhaps HD HTPC..but that takes time to research/etc., which I don't have..so I take the lazy approach and dump money to dish monthly.

Has nothing to do with "dish sucks" as you say but more why am I spending that amount of money each month?

So true.
I was spending $15 a month for Dish (locals/WPIX/BS fee) and about 45 bucks for StarChoice.
Dropped Dish altogether
Dropped SC down to basic package ($20)

I finally realized that if I miss a game or two it’s no big deal. It’s just TV. On StarChoice I had Sports, More Sports and a second set of US Nets (for the uninformed, SC & ExpressVu you get one set of US Nets…for extra you can add another feed). So I had Spokane nets and Buffalo (and Buffalo is basically the same as what I can get on my local Nets. Spokane gives me a West coast feed). So I dropped that package down to the bare bones minimum. I still need my Hockey Night in Canada :D

I have my FTA system and use that a lot. I’ve used that more than the other 2 combined, so why not eliminate some stuff : )

Iceberg, it doesn't sound like you had any difficulty getting them to cancel you. I've read in so many other threads how you have to talk to all these different "retention" people who try to get you to stay before letting you cancel.

Oh, I got the “retention department”. I told them I wanted to disconnect because its not needed anymore. Where we had service we could get better OTA reception now (which is true…where my “address” is (which is the cabin) all we could get was CBS & PBS. Now we can get CBS, FOX, PBS all really good, NBC with a little static and ABC decent (due to some translator stations cranking up the power) so I really didn’t need it at the lake.

They wondered if we wanted to move the service to another address and I explained that we didn’t need to because I can get all the networks including UPN & WB with an OTA antenna (which is also true).

They were really polite and didn’t throw up a fight. My favorite is when they asked “are you canceling because you don’t like the programming your locals and WPIX offer?” :D

If Dish didn’t charge that stupid $5 BS fee I might have kept them. But for $160 a year to be able to see 14-16 UMD games on TV honestly isn’t worth it for me (when this year 10 of them are on FTA and 3 that I can get FTA that aren’t on the ABC station : )

Cool, this makes me feel better about my decision in Dec. 2005. We were never unhappy about Dish, in fact, I was always an AT40...er AT60 customer all the way back to 1999 too. Not too mention my wife and I never watched it, only the kids and their cartoons. And since kids hate commercials and beg to watch cartoons on DVD our decision was simple. I know we will go back in the future but the price needs to drop or they need to offer an ala carte option for the channels I want. :)

Never had an issue with Dish either. I’ve had a few receivers in my time

know we will go back in the future but the price needs to drop or they need to offer an ala carte option for the channels I want
So true

Also, I noticed your area…welcome :wave from another Minnesotan : )

I am downgrading service at the end of the month. Getting rid of all of the movie channels going from AEP annual (AT180 annual and movie channel annual split) to AT180 annual and keep my supers and locals $8.99 combo package. I will still save about $25 a month. If I want movies I will just find what is available in that package. I can always order the movie pack for a month and record a bunch of movies then drop the package back off if need be. The bill is still going to be too high because they will now be charging for the DVR fee. I am going to be paying over $23 after tax just for the additional outlet fees and DVR fees. I am saving $10 a month in additional outlet fees but in a way we use the dual tuner receiver in the single user mode and just split it out to the different rooms. If I had all 721s I could eliminate another $12 a month but would have no name based recording. Its also nice to have the option to output to an additional independent room if need be.

Next year I might see about DirecTv but I have been waiting for a special multi-tuner HD DVR offer with some new technology to offer it to different rooms and so forth. By that time Dish Network may have something new to offer as well.

Congrats on dropping dish, at least priorities are straight hnic #1
i wish i could drop dish but then i have 8 useless receivers
if i drop my programming with dish more ill end up paying more stupid dvr fees keeps me at aep

stone phillips420 said:
Congrats on dropping dish, at least priorities are straight hnic #1
dang right....HNIC has to be in the house :)

i wish i could drop dish but then i have 8 useless receivers
Stone you’d make most your money back on Ebay if you sold them : )

if i drop my programming with dish more ill end up paying more stupid dvr fees keeps me at aep
But if you drop AEP, the only receivers that have the fee are the 942, 625 and the 522. That’s only $24. The rest don’t have a fee regardless of package (that’s why I had the 508 for a while…no DVR fee)

edit: I just looked and you'd only save 10 bucks by dropping to AT180.

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
Stone you’d make most your money back on Ebay if you sold them : )
there is a possibility of that, but in my mind its slim to none plus if i did sell receivers on ebay id like to sell it as a lot, who's gonna wanna buy 8 receivers since ya go through so many headaches to add 8 receivers to a residential account, i dont know what they put ya through to setup commercial account

Iceberg leaving Dish, its like a member of the family just moved out of country,

we will miss you, please still hang out in the Dish Forums.

stone phillips420 said:
there is a possibility of that, but in my mind its slim to none plus if i did sell receivers on ebay id like to sell it as a lot, who's gonna wanna buy 8 receivers since ya go through so many headaches to add 8 receivers to a residential account, i dont know what they put ya through to setup commercial account

sell them separately. :)

ScottChez said:
Iceberg leaving Dish, its like a member of the family just moved out of country,
we will miss you, please still hang out in the Dish Forums.

I'll still be here helping out. Like I say, ya cant get rid of me that easily :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts