Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I have a co-worker who is interested in trading me a remote-less DSR-922 4DTV for my Pansat 3500s.

Would I be nuts not to take him up on it? He's looking for the remotes but isn't too optimistic about finding it.

I figure I can buy a new DVB receiver a lot cheaper than a 922 :).

One more thing - I don't have a remote but I'm trying to see where I can check signal strengths - can I do this w/o a remote?

So far it works on analog :). Is it pretty much a given that it'll work if the analog side works? I haven't been able to light the Digicypher light yet :(. I'm trying to see if I can get the guide to come up. I know it's a longshot with my little dish.

If it works I think I'll go ahead and trade and replace the Pansat with the new Coolsat.

Shawn

On G1 I'm just getting the occational flash of the DC light.

I know its sight unseen, but does this sound like a good unit?

On G1 as good as I've seen is Signal 100, quality 31. I hovers at 1 and 14 sometimes - mostly 1. It peaks at 31 now and then.

Shawn

You can do a lot without the remote. It's just inconvenient. You can check signal strength by pressing "Options" button on the receiver, highlight "Options" using the up and down buttons on the receiver, hit enter, using the up and down arrow buttons highlight "5. Adjust Picture", hit enter.
A 5 foot mesh dish is a problem. If it was solid, I would recommend going to Galaxy 4R ku (X4) and try to lock the HITS channels. Currently X4-603 and X4-644 are in the clear, as well as DMX music channels X4-820 through 856.
On Cband you might try to lock something on PAS 9.
You will only get the guide if you are authorized by a programming provider. The guide info comes from Galaxy 1R, soon to be Galaxy 15. If you can't lock a DC2 signal there, you are out of luck.

On the 922 you need a signal strength of 45 or higher for solid reception. The receiver is probably ok, but your dish is undersized.

I got it! I got a solid DC light on G1 and I got the guide. I'll post pics shortly.

A-freak'n mazing as far a I'm concerned.

I can intermittently lock the Starz / Encore DC channels. Signal 100, Quality 37.

Shawn95GT said:
On G1 I'm just getting the occational flash of the DC light.

I know its sight unseen, but does this sound like a good unit?

On G1 as good as I've seen is Signal 100, quality 31. I hovers at 1 and 14 sometimes - mostly 1. It peaks at 31 now and then.

Shawn

I think 31 is very borderline at best. G1 seems to be somewhat notorious for lower signal quality. I get around 60 on some transponders and low to mid 50's on others. G1 has about the lowest numbers I get out of the 22 sats I currently have programmed. There's some speculation that the new bird (G15) will improve the signal on the channels currently on G1, however there's also a lot of folks saying that the high FEC is the real issue. From what I've read so far, I think the folks saying FEC are probably right.

Of course, we're both learning here so I could be all wet too, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Mike

photoman76 said:
On the 922 you need a signal strength of 45 or higher for solid reception. The receiver is probably ok, but your dish is undersized.
Yeah, I know the dish is too small but I figured it's worth A shot.

I haven't re-check the dish's tracking since I re-centered the feedhorn. There might just be enough 'tweak' left in it to get 45 out of it.

I know I'll still be a victim of the 2° spacing and all that - but if I can get it usable until I can get a bigger dish up, I'll be REAL happy.

I'm still amazed I was able to pull down the guide with my 5' dish - lol.

Shawn

iammike said:
I think 31 is very borderline at best. G1 seems to be somewhat notorious for lower signal quality. I get around 60 on some transponders and low to mid 50's on others. G1 has about the lowest numbers I get out of the 22 sats I currently have programmed. There's some speculation that the new bird (G15) will improve the signal on the channels currently on G1, however there's also a lot of folks saying that the high FEC is the real issue. From what I've read so far, I think the folks saying FEC are probably right.
Of course, we're both learning here so I could be all wet too, but that's my 2 cents worth.
Mike
I definately agree with you and going to a bigger dish is pretty much a no-brainer.

What do you think - should I trade my Pansat for this 922? I'm thinking even if I never use it for more than analog it's worth it...

Shawn

I think I'd do the trade. I paid about $400 for my new 922. If I remember correctly the 3500's go for around $200 or a little more. Even if you have to buy the remote separate you'd still be coming out ahead.

Incidentally, I just double-checked my G1 numbers. The quality I was speaking of earlier was just on the HBO/Cinemax transponders. I'm currently at 84 on channel 150 (Starz East) and my analogs are nice and sharp.

Thanks for the input - everyone. I think I'll do the swap. I've got under $200 into the 3500s if I remember right.

I'm watching the Military channel on C3-611 right now :cool:. S100, Q51. The picture is EXCELLENT. There must be some leftover subscription on this box yet.

This will make for a very nice Christmas present for me :D.

Last edited:
pics!

Pics of the unit pulling the guide...

Yes that is a price tag where the guy paid all of $7.99 + tax for the unit at a thrift store... :eek:

Shawn

Last edited:
The Discovery Channels on C3 (AMC 11) are currently in FP mode (in the clear). I have no subscriptions and they are coming in fine.

photoman76 said:
$7.99 ?!?!?!?!?!?!
I paid $725 for my 922 in December 2001.
I know it!

While he only has $8.00 or so into it - I think the Pansat is a fair trade for him as he'd probably get $300ish or better on ebay for it.

I wonder if my universal remote I bought for the old HTS System 20 will work with it...

<edit>It's kluge, but it works. I can change channels, pull up the guide etc. It'll get me by until I find a 'real' one.</edit>

Shawn

Last edited:
Shawn,

Just thought of one thing. It seems like I've read about batteries in these units having a certain lifespan. It's pretty long, however I don't remember exactly. It seems like its in the 7 or 10 year range. If he got this at a thrift store, (gotta start hitting my local thrift stores), it may be an older unit so the battery could be getting a little on the old side. There's a repair place that puts new batteries in, but I don't know what it costs. I'm also not sure how long 922's have been out, so it may not be as big of an issue.

Maybe one of the more experienced 4dtv guys will chime in and let you know if this is a big concern or not.

Mike

Shawn95GT said:
I definately agree with you and going to a bigger dish is pretty much a no-brainer.
What do you think - should I trade my Pansat for this 922? I'm thinking even if I never use it for more than analog it's worth it...
Shawn

That is a super offer, how old is the 922? remotes can be had cheap for the 922, pop up the bigger dish get the 4dtv running on c/ku then grab a DVB and slave it and you are all set :)

I paid $1700 Canadian for my 922 when it first came out, so you are getting it for a good deal.

Are you sure its a 922? it says GI so it must be a old one like mine, and the battery could go bad if you have a ups I would hook it up, also if its a 922 under 4dtv on the front panel it should say dsr 922 and you will have 2 rca outs in the back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)