Thoughts on a trade

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi Shawn...Yes the 922 is a great set. Are you tuned to G1 ch3 for the IPG? Ask your provider to send another hit! It moved from G0 a few months ago and still takes some time to d/l ...more sats programmed = more time to D/l the guide.
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
Hi Shawn...Yes the 922 is a great set. Are you tuned to G1 ch3 for the IPG? Ask your provider to send another hit! It moved from G0 a few months ago and still takes some time to d/l ...more sats programmed = more time to D/l the guide.
Jeff
That's the plan when I call NPS tomorrow. The trip counter read 5 so it's talking to something - hehe.

Yeah, I had the dish parked on G1 and the channel set to 3. DC locked. My guess is that it updated to EC and now needs a re-hit.

I'm sure it'll come around tomorrow.

Once other thing - there is either a whole lot of DC stuff in the clear right now, or this thing has some leftover sub on it. It's wierd mix of channels I'm seeing so maybe it's just stuff in the clear, like many of the the Discovery Channels are right now.

I purposely left the Dish on C4 tonight to see if it moves to get the guide. If it moves, I want to see where it looks :).

I can't wait to get my Starz sub moved over to digital!

Shawn

As far as I know, Discovery is a Pay service (I had to pay anyway...also have Discovery HD just to show off my new Hdd200 HD component)) To be honest the upconversion on my HP (probably built by either panasonic or pioneer and is georgous!) 43" Plasma it is is so good combined with the 922....most digital channels look HD like (very close to HD clarity!) You are going to be like a kid in a candy store!!!! For some reason, I have not been able to get the 2 starz HD channels ( I have a starz subscription in digital so they should be coming in)on G9 but can get others...ever hear of the wealth channel? There is an HD up there as well as a PBS Nebraska HD PBS feed...who knows what else besides the listed ones!

I am not aware of any clear stuff in Digicipher ...it is possible that the person you got it from had some programing left over! In the diagnostics there is a Provider with 2 letters...ask your own provider who that is ...on the channels coming in that you did not order. They know the codes...ie: zk=No Key (not subscribed)

As long as you have the Move to guide checked in the installation screen...the dish should be on G1 ch3 in the morning! The 5 trips is more than likely the hits from your new provider...I presume someone did a master clear before you set it up! That is a low (beginning ) number of hits!

Keep us posted!
regards
Jeff

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
As far as I know, Discovery is a Pay service (I had to pay anyway...also have Discovery HD just to show off my new Hdd200 HD component)) To be honest the upconversion on my HP (probably built by either panasonic or pioneer and is georgous!) 43" Plasma it is is so good combined with the 922....most digital channels look HD like (very close to HD clarity!) You are going to be like a kid in a candy store!!!! For some reason, I have not been able to get the 2 starz HD channels ( I have a starz subscription in digital so they should be coming in)on G9 but can get others...ever hear of the wealth channel? There is an HD up there as well as a PBS Nebraska HD PBS feed...who knows what else besides the listed ones!

I am not aware of any clear stuff in Digicipher ...it is possible that the person you got it from had some programing left over! In the diagnostics there is a Provider with 2 letters...ask your own provider who that is ...on the channels coming in that you did not order. They know the codes...ie: zk=No Key (not subscribed)

As long as you have the Move to guide checked in the installation screen...the dish should be on G1 ch3 in the morning! The 5 trips is more than likely the hits from your new provider...I presume someone did a master clear before you set it up! That is a low (beginning ) number of hits!

Keep us posted!
regards
Jeff

If you get HBO HD and can't get Starz HD then it may be your HDD 200, there is a problem with them Motorola fixes them free, its a rare defect, you will need to contact Motorola and get a case number, so have your serial number ready, you will then need to contact world wide digital for you free repair.

You will know if yours has the problem just go to Starz HD and see if the HD light goes on and off, and if the picture comes and goes.

Shawn95GT said:
That's the plan when I call NPS tomorrow. The trip counter read 5 so it's talking to something - hehe.
Yeah, I had the dish parked on G1 and the channel set to 3. DC locked. My guess is that it updated to EC and now needs a re-hit.
I'm sure it'll come around tomorrow.
Once other thing - there is either a whole lot of DC stuff in the clear right now, or this thing has some leftover sub on it. It's wierd mix of channels I'm seeing so maybe it's just stuff in the clear, like many of the the Discovery Channels are right now.
I purposely left the Dish on C4 tonight to see if it moves to get the guide. If it moves, I want to see where it looks :).
I can't wait to get my Starz sub moved over to digital!
Shawn

If you do buy the HDD 200, ask the seller to make sure it works with Starz before they send it out.

Hmmm wierd.

This morning the box was on G1-167 (last channel I tuned on G1). It just says sub required etc. I checked the trip counter and it's only at 3! Does it get reset when you un-plug the unit?

What's the auth status for a subbed channel?

I see 'FP' on Animal Planet / Discovery West (601) on C4 / Discovery HD Theater (600). I only get sound on HD Theater :).

Same 'FP' for the Military Channel etc. on C3 (610-616).

On Noggin (C3-620)I see Auth code 'U'.

Maybe it is just leftover sub - hehe.

I had Wealth TV HD on Voom. While it wasn't particularly compelling content, it was more HD. So far the PQ is nice even without the HDD200. I'll be on the lookout for a deal on one. I still need to order a remote. I'm going to see if NPS can help me out with that. If not, no big deal.

Shawn

I called NPS and they fixed me up. The guide now says 'processing your request' as it's pulling the guide down and I've got the Starz digital package :). They threw in a month of absolute digital to play with while I was swithing it over.

Shawn

Excellent!

Shawn95GT said:
I called NPS and they fixed me up. The guide now says 'processing your request' as it's pulling the guide down and I've got the Starz digital package :). They threw in a month of absolute digital to play with while I was swithing it over.

Shawn

Excellent!!!
Jeff

Different symptoms on my HDD200

tdti1 said:
If you get HBO HD and can't get Starz HD then it may be your HDD 200, there is a problem with them Motorola fixes them free, its a rare defect, you will need to contact Motorola and get a case number, so have your serial number ready, you will then need to contact world wide digital for you free repair.
You will know if yours has the problem just go to Starz HD and see if the HD light goes on and off, and if the picture comes and goes.

Actually my symptoms are different...I do not subscirbe to HBO but am getting a strong signal/quality on the G9 bird (my provider says HBO HD is on T5 but the guide agrees with my setup)

Starz HD is just no signal or quality. I do not think it is used, but my servo polarity moror is burned out (new on due today) so in theory that could be the issue. I can also get Discovery HD as well as "can see the Sho" Hd channels (signal and quality but not subscribed) and the Wealth channel HD on the Hdd200....In addition the PBS nebraska comes in fine in HD...Plz tell me more about this bug. This is a newly rebuilt unit from Motorola with the new firmware!
Thanks
Jeff

I GOT MINE FROM capowerandsound@hotmail.com

he will accept a reasonable offer close to his buy it now price on Ebay ($289 shipped). I have emailed with him and he is also quite helpful! Here is link to his Ebay auction....recommended seller and the unit I got was well packed and looks new! He has an auction going on now on Ebay but the forum will not accept the long link
do an "hdd200" search on Ebay and he will come up! I think there are 2 days left. Plze tell him JKBOSCO told you about him....told him I would recommend him due to his persistance and quality!

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jeff!

My guide never came up on it's own yesterday but I think it was user error. Hitting 'Go Back' cancels the operation :eek: .

When I got home from work I was watching something on C3, and hit guide. It gave me the good 'ol "the guide is available on G1 - want to go get it" message and I did it. Low and behold the guide came right up.

Over night last night I left the dish on T5 before going to bed. I woke up to it happily on G1 and the guide was there waiting for me.

All is well and good with it now.

I've noticed that even the analog picture seems to look better from the 922 vs my HTS system. It seems to have a more sensative tuner or something.

Now I just need to get around to getting the bigger dish up. My G1 channels are marginal at best. If I can tune them, they almost all macro-block regularly. I know this is due to the under-sized dish. The C3 / C4 / G5 / X4 channels are great though. I can live with it for now.

I ordered a remote form NPS when I switched the Starz over to the digital pack.

I'm getting spoiled. I go back to cable and it's almost un-watchable due to the PQ being so bad.

Thanks to everyone for the help getting it going.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
Thanks for the info Jeff!
My guide never came up on it's own yesterday but I think it was user error. Hitting 'Go Back' cancels the operation :eek: .
When I got home from work I was watching something on C3, and hit guide. It gave me the good 'ol "the guide is available on G1 - want to go get it" message and I did it. Low and behold the guide came right up.
Over night last night I left the dish on T5 before going to bed. I woke up to it happily on G1 and the guide was there waiting for me.
All is well and good with it now.
I've noticed that even the analog picture seems to look better from the 922 vs my HTS system. It seems to have a more sensative tuner or something.
Now I just need to get around to getting the bigger dish up. My G1 channels are marginal at best. If I can tune them, they almost all macro-block regularly. I know this is due to the under-sized dish. The C3 / C4 / G5 / X4 channels are great though. I can live with it for now.
I ordered a remote form NPS when I switched the Starz over to the digital pack.
I'm getting spoiled. I go back to cable and it's almost un-watchable due to the PQ being so bad.
Thanks to everyone for the help getting it going.
Shawn

Excellent Shawn!!!

BTW: G1 is a pretty old bird( I remember when it was new!!...think it is being replaced by the newly launched G15)...if you are talking HBO/Max channels...they are NOT good at all and your setup needs to be DEAD ON to get past 1 in quality in my area!!! I am now getting 57!! after fine tuning yesterday!!!!

I get the Starz stuff on G1 with a quality of about 70! It is the quality of signal that counts on the channels on Digicipher, not the signal strength. You should try to MANUALLY tune from options-program satellites to get the best signal...the auto tune just gets you close! You continue to "bump the dish position" and then play with the polarity to really tune it it correctly on the QUALITY METER!!!!!!

BTW: you may want to look into a new LNB first...depends on your location and curent LNB condition and fine tuning of elevation etc!

magnetic deviation of the earth changes a small am't yearly! I have a $10 meter I got off Ebay that works fine! Ebay is a good source for Sat stuff....just shop! ie: bought a new FTA receiver for $209 that sells for about $375 with the retail channel!

I found a Norstat 8000 (I guess current the LNB champ company!) under my Feedhorn cover (10 yrs old too!) and cleaned it out (wasp nests), retuned my system and I am now really getting sig/quality strength on an 8 footer! ....In Reno, NV which is not exactly in the center of the footprint!!!
Do keep us posted!
jeff

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
Excellent Shawn!!!
BTW: you may want to look into a new LNB first...depends on your location and curent LNB condition and fine tuning of elevation etc!
magnetic deviation of the earth changes a small am't yearly! I have a $10 meter I got off Ebay that works fine! Ebay is a good source for Sat stuff....just shop! ie: bought a new FTA receiver for $209 that sells for about $375 with the retail channel!
I found a Norstat 8000 (I guess current the LNB champ company!) under my Feedhorn cover (10 yrs old too!) and cleaned it out (wasp nests), retuned my system and I am now really getting sig/quality strength on an 8 footer! ....In Reno, NV which is not exactly in the center of the footprint!!!
Do keep us posted!
jeff
I'm not going to do much better on LNBs than what I have unless I spend $300+ each on 'em. For C-band I have a Norsat 8115 (15k, 100 kHz stable) and an Ku I have a Norsat 4106a (0.6 noise floor, 150 kHz stable). I concidered a 3000 series Norsat (Norsat 3520) but that would be overkill for watching TV on :). I figured the 15k / 100kHz LNB would be more beneficial to me than a 20k / 25kHz LNB.. and the Norsat 8115 was about half the cost besides.

Shawn95GT said:
I'm not going to do much better on LNBs than what I have unless I spend $300+ each on 'em. For C-band I have a Norsat 8115 (15k, 100 kHz stable) and an Ku I have a Norsat 4106a (0.6 noise floor, 150 kHz stable). I concidered a 3000 series Norsat (Norsat 3520) but that would be overkill for watching TV on :). I figured the 15k / 100kHz LNB would be more beneficial to me than a 20k / 25kHz LNB.. and the Norsat 8115 was about half the cost besides.

Nope...that one is a great LNB!! DO TRY tweaking the dish though...as I said the auto position and auto skew on the 4dtv just do not get close enough for the digicipher stuff! Especially on G1!
regards
jeff

Hmm. Well for grins last night I tugged the dish up down left right on a couple sats and pretty much any change seemed to always make matters worse :(.

I know the feedhorn is centered. I've double checked the focal length. I might experiment with the f/d setting on the feedhorn to see if there is any room for improvement there.

I'm especially dissapointed in the Ku performance of this dish. X4 is watchable but AMC9's Ku analog barker is snowy as can be. I swear my little Primestar did better on Ku than this dish does. Maybe it's something with my feedhorn. Can you put the LNBs on backwards? Maybe I'll try flipping the Ku LNB 180° and see if it does any better. I aligned the slot to match the slot in the feedhorn. I neglected to notice which side of the LNB the probe was on when I took the old one off.

Shawn

Ku Is Much More Demanding Than C Band!

Shawn95GT said:
Hmm. Well for grins last night I tugged the dish up down left right on a couple sats and pretty much any change seemed to always make matters worse :(.

I know the feedhorn is centered. I've double checked the focal length. I might experiment with the f/d setting on the feedhorn to see if there is any room for improvement there.

I'm especially dissapointed in the Ku performance of this dish. X4 is watchable but AMC9's Ku analog barker is snowy as can be. I swear my little Primestar did better on Ku than this dish does. Maybe it's something with my feedhorn. Can you put the LNBs on backwards? Maybe I'll try flipping the Ku LNB 180° and see if it does any better. I aligned the slot to match the slot in the feedhorn. I neglected to notice which side of the LNB the probe was on when I took the old one off.

Shawn

Hi Shawn
Something is probably not aligned correctly or the declination settings or.....another setting
I get AMC3 just fine on my 8 footer....a sure sign is if the west most satellite is very good...this is a compromise setting (s) between the east most sat and the one furthest west!

Where are you located...might also be on the edge of the bird's footprint. Those $10 SAT TUNING meters on Ebay come in very handy,,,Suggestion, no tugging on the dish! Your mount should have the correct adjustments and fine tune adjustments!

KU IS MUCH MORE DEMANDING THAN C BAND!

JEFF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)