Status
Please reply by conversation.

grim_reaper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
at my pc
Hello
i live on a 150 FT sailboat. i am curious if i can avoid the 2 year contract by buying my own box wich would be an H 24 receiver and paid for my dish and installed it myself??

Nope. There is really no way around it.

Why don't you just get Directv for your house and take the additional receiver and use it on the boat.

Besides even if you had it for just the summer the discounts on programming and free equipment about equal the cancellation fee.

Welcome to the site!

Curious, are we talking having D* in the boat at the dock, or while your moving about on the lake ?

:welcome to Satelliteguys grim_reaper!

New customers are required to have a leased box to start service. You can add an owned box if you wish.

Nope. There is really no way around it.

Why don't you just get Directv for your house and take the additional receiver and use it on the boat.

Besides even if you had it for just the summer the discounts on programming and free equipment about equal the cancellation fee.
i don't own a house nor do i want one. i live on my boat year round. to be honest i don't even think that direct would even install on a boat your thought???

New customers are required to have a leased box to start service. You can add an owned box if you wish.
thanks for the warm welcome!! and yes that's what i have been hearing that everything is leased now and i guess it's been that way since 2007!!! thought there a select few of of that travel though alska and the yukon where nothing works for spring summer and fall then come back down to sunny CA in the winter :)

LOL i had a rep tell me that they could set me up with an owned box with no contract and they told me to look for an H24 receiver. but i don't trust it!!

LOL i had a rep tell me that they could set me up with an owned box with no contract and they told me to look for an H24 receiver. but i don't trust it!!
Unless there has been a change in policy, you got bad information.

Unless there has been a change in policy, you got bad information.
that's what i am thinking!!! once i tell the sales rep i want no contract that when they start trying to sell me the genie for 299.99 telling me that i own it when it's a lease fee for peoples credit don't pass!!!

If you buy your own equipment, have a third party set it up for you, & then go with Dish Flex TV.
Why the fear of contracts? Nowadays almost everybody requires a contract for their services.
Maybe it's the constantly changing channel selection

I had Directv on my boat, a 36 ft power cruiser. I already had it at home. I went the cheap way and put the dish on a dock pier. Boat antennas that automatically adjust for the boats movement are very expensive (http://www.westmarine.com/satellite-tv-antennas). Routing of the cables and power would be done by a marine tech. I don't think D's tech would want to touch that.
I thought about adding a radar arch and putting a land mobile dish on that. My boat was on the Great Lakes so I didn't have to worry as much about corrosion. I also only watched tv while in port so I didn't need any servos to compensate for wave action.

Really ?
Didn't know that.
If you buy the equipment outright and do the install yourself (or have someone do it) you can do a pay as you go. I did that with Dish the last time I had them. Bought a 211k (single tuner HD receiver with option to make it a DVR) and already had dishes to use (when I had FTA).

Used it for maybe 6 months then decided I didnt need it anymore (had it for a specific purpose)

And unlike Directv Dish will start an account with "used" equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)