Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
This is just down the street from me:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/4956250541.html

I've emailed and offered $100, which I expect he will reject. He's probably still thinking about the $3k he invested 20 years ago. But what would you pay?

I have a 7.5 foot dish and would like a larger one, so it's attractive and local.

What kind of motor is that?

Cheers,

Martyn

Looks like a nice dish. Its probably worth $100 with the motor. The receiver will only be useful as a dish mover.

Reactions: Martyn
That is an H to H motor (horizon to horizon). It gives you a much wider viewable arc if you have a clear view. Winegard made quality dishes back in the day and that one doesn't appear to be damaged (probably has a npr also). It is also Ku capable so that is a plus. As long as the 4dtv has a good unit ID it has some value on Ebay (thanks to the raindeer scam). I would offer more than that C note if necessary and get that dish.

If I was looking for a dish, I'd probably go two to three hundred. It looks in good shape and I think Mmewrench is right about that being a HH mount/motor, which would be nice and might even make me go a little more, if it is a HH.The HH dish I have here can move [like the name implies] from one horizon to the other and covers all of the arc that is accessible to me here. Hard to really tell details for sure from that picture though.

A good bargaining point might be the fact that he wants you to take it down, a lot of work with it being two stories up!

Well, I'll be contrary. Since YOU are expected to remove it from a 2nd story, you should convince him that he should pay YOU to do so!

You are going to need about 3-4 friends to help you get that down safely, or a crane lift of some sort. When you factor in another $400 for the dish, crane lifts aren't cheap, Otherwise you can expect it to be ruined trying to get it down any other way, or maybe you getting hurt when you fall off his roof doing it the hard way.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I went and took a look today. His roof is accessible from the top of a garage (concrete roof) and the slope of the roof isn't that steep.

But I wonder and how easy it will be to disassemble and stop it all rolling off the roof, or stop me falling off.

And even if it's down from the pole, I'll still need to get it to the ground. It might end up being too much hassle, especially if I need to hire a crane lift or such, as primestar suggests.

I'm going back tomorrow with a buddy. We'll probably jump up on the roof to check it out.

He's willing to accept $200 for the lot.

Attachments

• 1428120307065.jpg
    1428120307065.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 1428120315447.jpg
    1428120315447.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 1428120325241.jpg
    1428120325241.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 193
Make a note of what satellite it's pointed at right now. Get it down whole. Take it to your house and mount it, aim it at the same sat, and except for a little tweaking, that might be a done deal.

It's probably on a non-penetrating mount up there. You can probably rent some sort of crane-lift for around $150-200. Have them put it on a large u-haul trailer, or in a cube truck to get it home. Doing it like that would probably end up cheaper on and hourly basis than tearing it down, moving it, reassembling it at your place, repointing it all, etc.

Even if total, you spend $400-500 or so, it's easily worth it with the Ajak HH drive, and the nice dish.

I will 2nd using the crane. The saving of hours of labor for disassembly, hauling down the pieces, then reassembly is well worth the price of a crane rental and simply dropping onto a trailer or flatbed. A lift will only take 15-30 minutes and no risk to dish or body. The dish may only weigh 150-250 lbs, but it is very awkward to handle even on the ground with two or three people. It becomes very unmanageable and dangerous on a roof and roping down. Probably best to leave the pole if it has flashing and sealant where it passes through the roof.

Reactions: Martyn and fred555
Looks like a Winegard SK-CK 165 10' dish. Not an easy unit to disassemble and even harder to reassemble. I'M working on one now. I will third using a crane and keeping it intact. The manual is in the file section.

An update. First of all, thanks for all the responses.

I took a look at it today with a friend and we concluded its too large and heavy to safely get down by hand from its current position. Had the roof been flat or it been lower, we might have tried it, but it's just too close to the edge and too high.

It's a shame. The comments here made me really want it, but I told the guy I would pass. I did tell him that if he wants it gone, I might invest in renting the equipment to take it down if the dish was then free. We'll see what he says.

He was a really nice guy and told me about the packages he used to get and the feeds he used to find. The dish is C and ku, which made me want it even more.

There's the added problem of putting it somewhere too. I rent and my land lady doesn't complain about my dishes, but I am restricted in my ability to drill into her house or poor concrete in her garden.

A couple more pictures for the curious

Attachments

• 1428373246561.jpg
    1428373246561.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 1428373257807.jpg
    1428373257807.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 168
Too bad it's right on the edge of the roof like it is, otherwise it'd be much easier and safer to take apart and then get it down in pieces. That does look to be in nice shape. If you do end up with it, maybe you could set it up on a NPR mount out in the yard.

Too bad it's right on the edge of the roof like it is, otherwise it'd be much easier and safer to take apart and then get it down in pieces. That does look to be in nice shape. If you do end up with it, maybe you could set it up on a NPR mount out in the yard.

Great minds ... my current 7.5-footer is on an NPM in the yard. Unfortunately, that only gives me from 95W to 121W because of trees and the house. But it could be a lot worse. At least I can see all the main stuff.

Reactions: . Raine
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)