GEOSATpro Three LNBs Showing 0% Signa Level and Quality????

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
First of all, is following Software information the latest and greatest?.

Bootloader: s-0.1.0 2010-5-8
maincode: M3601S/128M 2012-8-29
seecode: M3606 SEE 2012-829
TvLogo: 1.0.0 2010-5-8
RadioLogo : 1.0.0 2010-5-8
BootLogo: 1.0.0 2010-5-8
defaultdb: 1.1.0 2012-8-29
userdb: 1.0.0 2012-8-29
Software Ver: TDV10290-1-0-2-0
Product Ver: HDVS54012-1108249AO 2012-8-29

Back to the problem, this has hapenned twice so far in the last two days....The microHD indicates that the signal level of the LNBF as well as the signal quality of the recieved (scanned) channels are at 0%.

When this occured the first time I was using an Invacom SNH-031...... did a factory reset and rescanned the satellites...... The satellites scanned with no problem and everything was AOK!..... after a while turned the microHD off with the remote control.....later on went back and tried to view the previously scanned channels.....NO Signal Level nor Signal Quality....swapted to a GKF-668 LNBF...same results.....swaped again to an Invacom QPH-031 same results.....Would like to mention that before and during the LNB swap, all the wiring and connections were cleaned and checked with an Ohm meter for continuity, did not find anything wrong with the checkout, yet no signal level nor quality this time either.

For now the unit is working while using the Invacom PQH-031. Have not turned off the unit as of yet.... Will report after the unit is turned Off and On later on... This no signal level and no quality signal is something new to me.

Any switches in-line?

Brian, sorry for not responding sooner, went to see relatives out of town.

Yes, two Eagle Aspen D2200 Diplexers, have been using them for a long time in conjunction with the OTA, but never experienced this before. Could these diplexers be the cause of the problem?. Is there a way to make a full check of their functionality?.

Right now everything is working good, but still having problem in scanning some FTA satellite channels, the average quality signal strenght is 75% for most channels.

Thank You.

Anything that is inline should be considered suspect. If the problem repeats, place barrels in place of a diplexer.

Personally, I never use diplexers as the signal attenuation is unacceptable on either band.

Anything that is inline should be considered suspect. If the problem repeats, place barrels in place of a diplexer.

Personally, I never use diplexers as the signal attenuation is unacceptable on either band.

What are barrels, are they other type of switches?, not familiar with that type of component name. Are barrels used with OTA antennas.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    846.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I do have a few of those, but can not see how this component is going to work in combining the signals from the satellite cable with the OTA cable and do what the diplexer does, am I missing something in here, is there a type of barrel that does combine the singnals, won't that be the same as using a regular splitter.

Thank You.

I do have a few of those, but can not see how this component is going to work in combining the signals from the satellite cable with the OTA cable and do what the diplexer does, am I missing something in here, is there a type of barrel that does combine the singnals, won't that be the same as using a regular splitter.

Thank You.

I think what satav was saying is remove all the stuff from the line everything (no diplexer nothing) and see what happens. :)

Also can you get rid of the diplexers and just put in a new home run for your OTA?

Thank You.

It's just to connect two cables together, bypassing your diplexers for now to see if your sat signal works. If it DOES, then you know positively that one or more of your diplexers are bad. Then you can decide what to do from there.

yes or it could even be bad coax or coax ends . placing barrels will help narrow down the problem area. If placing barrels doesn't resolve the problem you can move to the coax or coax ends.

As mentioned at the end of post #1, for right now things are going good....this was after the swap of three different LNBF and after a complete checking of the wiring (continuity) and connectors, and mating and demating the diplexers.... The receiver and its attached components have been turned On and Off several times and things are working as expected.

This thread was mainly to request information as if I had the most up to date software for the microHD while suspecting if there was a problem with it's associated hardware ( wiring, connectors, LNBF) components.

I have a single coax run to the receiver, with the exception of the juction to the OTA coax to the diplexers. If the problem persist, then will have to make another full coax run from the OTA to the receiver.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions.

when your signal goes to 0% for satellites does your OTA still work ?

Yes, this LNBF 0% problem did not affected the OTA signal at all, it only affected the Satellite side of the Diplexer. That is one of the reasons why I did not suspected the switch to be defective.

Well at least I know that the Coax run is in good shape. I sure hate to run a new coax for the OTA, and the reason is that the main coax is running in the attic, and my attic is not a walk in type, and crawling inside the very hot full of insulation attic at my age is not a good thing. Not running two coaxes in the first place was a very bad oversight in my part.

Comming back to my first question, can someone please verify that my software data described at the first post is up to date.

The 8.29.2012 firmware is the latest update.

The OTA continuing to function does not confirm that the diplexers are passing satellite frequencies. Bypassing the diplexers with a coax barrels if the issue occurs again would help troubleshoot the system failure.

If you did not fasten the coax run as they go through the attic. you can usually, very carefully, pull the original coax out and two or more new ones in... Or what I do --usually is pull the old one out with a pull string on it, then pull new coaxes and the old one back through. And usually add a cat5 cable and some cat 3 phone cable, too.