Thunderbolt Gingerbread finally released!

i looked over at rootzwiki
and yes there are roms that allow tether, guess they got it figured out

i looked over at rootzwiki
and yes there are roms that allow tether, guess they got it figured out
great! thank you. personally, i've never used a stock rom. customs roms give me what i need. if it wasn't for that i would've moved on to something else. not sure what that would be.

The one thing that I always feared with these custom roms is you may solve one problem like free wifi, but then as I recall the horror stories, you generate a dozen other problems like no BT, no regular wifi, can't update database with *228 and so forth. Consequently, I stay clear of them unless it has been well screened for trouble.

The one thing that I always feared with these custom roms is you may solve one problem like free wifi, but then as I recall the horror stories, you generate a dozen other problems like no BT, no regular wifi, can't update database with *228 and so forth. Consequently, I stay clear of them unless it has been well screened for trouble.
I have zero problems with cm7. None. I've tried other roms just to find a few issues.that's why I stick with cm.Everything works.

I have zero problems with cm7. None. I've tried other roms just to find a few issues.that's why I stick with cm.Everything works.

I've never seen anything in technology that is perfect, ever! I'm one of the few people on this forum who has a habit of uncovering many flaws in those "perfect" products. But I have met many people who never have problems with products they use. Mostly those are salesmen for the product. :D This is especially true for Apple products.

You can obtain root on your phone and change nothing else. Don't assume you have to have anything "custom".
I've never seen anything in technology that is perfect, ever!
As I mentioned above, you can run a "stock" ROM with the exception that it has rooted access. Otherwise, it's just as Verizon/HTC supplies, right down to the "bloatware" that they normally include. Being rooted, you'll have alternative tethering options available to you then.

Here's one example: [GB][2.11.605.3]Debloat, Stock, Rooted (I would expect a new version based on 2.11.605.5 very soon, but for your reference, this will suffice)

I've never seen anything in technology that is perfect, ever! I'm one of the few people on this forum who has a habit of uncovering many flaws in those "perfect" products. But I have met many people who never have problems with products they use. Mostly those are salesmen for the product. :D This is especially true for Apple products.

i never said it was perfect. i sad everything works. if you choose the right rom and you know what you're doing you can get everything to work while at the same time being able to customize and control pretty much everything. but i get what you're saying. being a little ocd myself, i try to make every little thing perfect but i realize thats not possible. i can get things as close as anyone can to perfect ;) and never quit trying :eek: .

honestly, its not hard to root via command line
and it lets you have more of a feel for whats happening

As I mentioned above, you can run a "stock" ROM with the exception that it has rooted access. Otherwise, it's just as Verizon/HTC supplies, right down to the "bloatware" that they normally include. Being rooted, you'll have alternative tethering options available to you then.

Here's one example: [GB][2.11.605.3]Debloat, Stock, Rooted (I would expect a new version based on 2.11.605.5 very soon, but for your reference, this will suffice)

Nice example:rolleyes: Thread is loaded with exacly the kind of troubles users complain about that I care not to deal with- Like Is Voicemail working yet? Or, I don't have any radio now. etc.

Originally Posted by rey_1178
i never said it was perfect. i sad everything works. if you choose the right rom and you know what you're doing you can get everything to work while at the same time being able to customize and control pretty much everything. but i get what you're saying. being a little ocd myself, i try to make every little thing perfect but i realize thats not possible. i can get things as close as anyone can to perfect and never quit trying .

My problem is I don't know enough about these things to decide what works and what doesn't. Everytime someone suggests, here's one that works, I discover they have not tried it or when I do, end up with the same mess the posters in the thread found. If I only would have read the thread I would see that the suggestion is loaded with trouble. So, when I read and see these posts, I run away fast. Worse are the hacked solutions that want you to pay money before trying. I'm through with that scam, Sorry, I'm not OCD, just prudently cautious from bad experiences. To me what's perfect is what doesn't negatively impact the stock function of the phone anywhere, anytime. One of the great things about user feedback is I can judge whether I will have problems with something based on the reading of those feedback postings. If I can empathize with the majority of posters then I know to walk away, especially if I'm not an expert in these things. Products like video editing software, I consider myself an expert so I can often engineer work-arounds and never feel lost. Trust me, with the phone, I just need it to work, I'm no expert.

I suspect you might be impossible to please. :(

Are you aware that the OFFICIALLY RELEASED Gingerbread update, 2.11.605.3, had broken voicemail notifications ? As I said, this ROM and many like it, are just like VZW/HTC releases them but with root access. FWIW, non-VZW/HTC developers FIXED that too !

Also, radios and (custom) ROMs are independent. Rest assured, those running into problems likely felt the need to "upgrade" their radio with incompatible ones.

My problem is I don't know enough about these things to decide what works and what doesn't. Everytime someone suggests, here's one that works, I discover they have not tried it or when I do, end up with the same mess the posters in the thread found. If I only would have read the thread I would see that the suggestion is loaded with trouble. So, when I read and see these posts, I run away fast. Worse are the hacked solutions that want you to pay money before trying. I'm through with that scam, Sorry, I'm not OCD, just prudently cautious from bad experiences. To me what's perfect is what doesn't negatively impact the stock function of the phone anywhere, anytime. One of the great things about user feedback is I can judge whether I will have problems with something based on the reading of those feedback postings. If I can empathize with the majority of posters then I know to walk away, especially if I'm not an expert in these things. Products like video editing software, I consider myself an expert so I can often engineer work-arounds and never feel lost. Trust me, with the phone, I just need it to work, I'm no expert.
i understand what you're saying don. its not easy to find a rom thats pretty flawless. and even with cm7 which imo is one of the best, i'll find something wrong with it so i'll start digging for patches and other solutions. thats how i got it right. out of all the roms out there, i find matured cyanogen roms to be the best. they're lean and fast. bottom line is that i need to be able to control and change whatever i want however i want it. but i understand i'm in the minority here. most folks just want the basic functions of a phone to work and that is all. email,browsing,messaging,music,videos,navigation and some other basic apps. i have my views about apple based on facts that i rather not get into but, i understand why so many like their products. its simple and it works. at the end of it all thats what the common consumer wants. they don't want to know or deal with whats behind the scene of an os. am i making any sense here ? :D having said that i have an ipad :eek: lol. why? only reason for me is because even though there are better android tablets spec wise, i find the apps for the ipad to be superior. this may also be the case of the iphone 4s but tried it and honestly it bores me. when the android tablet apps improve, you can bet i will be getting rid of the ipad.

Sure, you're making sense. And as such, I am very flexible on how I achieve my goal. If necessary, I'll just bite the bullet on the cost of their tethering and cut the budget I pay to Verizon in some other way. There are more ways to achieve what I want besides hacking the phone and worse, making my life revolve around the maintenance of it. In the end, I want to have a wireless solution for my ipads and laptop when I travel. If necessary, I may upgrade my 3G 5 spot device to 4GI'm now eligible for that too. I have other options.

Please explain. Was that your experience with previously rooted Android phones and ROMs ?

It was my experience. Rooted and custom rom'd my OG Droid and then DX, and whenever VZW would push an update, it would be a royal pain in the butt. The rom would not allow it to install, but VZW would keep trying to push it; then you'd find some fix to block it; sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Even on the custom rommer's dream unlocked OG Droid, sometimes Rom Manager would not work; it would constantly require updating something, and re-flashing clockwork mod. OR with the Galaxy Tab, when I rooted it, just rooting it, with NO custom rom, caused it to not want to install a VZW update; even after I unrooted. took a long time to get it to finally accept an update.

So, Id say Don's statement is not that far off at all. And it is one of the reasons I will NEVER, EVER jailbreak my iPhone. I don't want to go back to that cycle again. I am a power user, I am a geek, but I no longer care about geeking out over my phone. I just want it to work. And it does.

Hmmm, I've had rooted Androids for almost two years now. All of the ROMs I've used have had OTA s/w updates BLOCKED, 100%. They simply "weren't listening". You could ignore them completely. Now, if you wanted to get some feature(s) from that OTA, you did have to upgrade, but someone running bone-stock would also have to upgrade, so there's no difference there.

Also, how often does VZW push updates, twice a year, maybe three times at the most ?

For over 1-1/2 years on the HTC Eris, I installed Amon's Recovery v1.6x and NEVER updated it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts