Thunderstorm Signal Loss Question!

Why not just combine the modulated distribution and the antenna signal at your mini head-end?

Also, yeah, the 625 would only pass through OTA through the TV OUT rf connection. To go out via composite, the 625 would have to perform the function of tuning each channel. Then you couldn't really call it pass through because the receiver would be altering the signal.

OK, thanks vegassatellite. I am going to combine the modulated and antenna signals behind the TV with the 625 and check it out. But, I sure like the way the 722 handles the OTA signal so might do a dish it up thing. Also, I want to see how this UHF antenna performs with the old TV for the pass-through. I still want to test the 722 for pass-through too, just to see if it can do it.

Is there a rule of thumb for what signals that can be combined? How about signals that can be diplexed together? I am not too familiar with the kinds of signals. What is the difference between OTA antenna, modulated, cable, and satellite signals? I think I will start a new thread for this question. There might be other amateurs like me that could benefit from this info. Thanks again for your help.

Different receivers have different abilities when it comes to dealing with low signal-to-noise ratios. As you lose signal, the difference between the level of signal and the level of noise becomes closer. There is a threshold where the receiver can not make sense of the data and you will lose your lock on the signal at that point. The 625 either had a better tolerance for the reduced signal-to-noise or the signal-to-noise was not as affected on that particular run of coax.

In regards to signal loss vs. receiver type, there is a definite pattern and vegassatellite is on it.

The 301/311s always read the highest signal received. As you add another receiver 322 the signal meter reading decreases. It decreases as you add DVR function as with 500s and more with 522's. HD receivers show less signal than the rest, as I have documented in "Installer Notes".

As you add more function and components to the receivers, you increase noise floor level. As you increase noise level, you need additional signal to be able to observe the same signal meter reading, which is not just signal strength but more of a combined signal reading or signal quality type of quantity. Since there isn't more signal strength for your 722 vs. your 625, the 722 loses signal first.

Other factors such as cable length would certainly make a difference but I believe that the difference due to cable length would have very little observable effect except in extreme cases.

In regards to signal loss vs. receiver type, there is a definite pattern and vegassatellite is on it.

The 301/311s always read the highest signal received. As you add another receiver 322 the signal meter reading decreases. It decreases as you add DVR function as with 500s and more with 522's. HD receivers show less signal than the rest, as I have documented in "Installer Notes".

As you add more function and components to the receivers, you increase noise floor level. As you increase noise level, you need additional signal to be able to observe the same signal meter reading, which is not just signal strength but more of a combined signal reading or signal quality type of quantity. Since there isn't more signal strength for your 722 vs. your 625, the 722 loses signal first.

Other factors such as cable length would certainly make a difference but I believe that the difference due to cable length would have very little observable effect except in extreme cases.

OK, thanks Jeff. Good info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts