Thunderstorm Signal Loss Question!

"Here out west, I've seen rain fade more common on the 61.5 because of its low look angle, the signal is passing below 20,000 feet for quite some time before it reaches the dish."

Same here. I setup 61.5 because of low signal problems with 129 here in California, guess what I kept losing signal on 61.5 when it was raining. 61.5 will actually go out faster than 129when raining. :(

Wow, sometimes you just want to give up guessing on the best thing to do. LOL. I have 61.5 solely to get the Pentagon Channel (9405) so I have to leave 129 disconnected. With 129 disconnected that lets 61.5 bring in the main HD channels. I am glad it works pretty good here.

Wow, sometimes you just want to give up guessing on the best thing to do. LOL. I have 61.5 solely to get the Pentagon Channel (9405) so I have to leave 129 disconnected. With 129 disconnected that lets 61.5 bring in the main HD channels. I am glad it works pretty good here.

Like Vegas said, it's more of the view angle than anything else. My elevation is 14 degrees for 61.5.

I did a quick check on that satellite pointer site. I think I did it right. 61.5 is 36.4 and 1000+ is 36.1. Does that sound about right?

That's about right.

Charles,

When you lost signal on the 722s, was this on the HD channel or the SD channel? SD locals are usually on Spotbeams and the signal is pretty high so I doubt that you lost the SD locals. You probably lost the HD local channel on 118.7 and from what I understand FSS satellites are more susceptible to rain fade. The signal strength is also lower on 118.7.

That's about right.

Charles,

When you lost signal on the 722s, was this on the HD channel or the SD channel? SD locals are usually on Spotbeams and the signal is pretty high so I doubt that you lost the SD locals. You probably lost the HD local channel on 118.7 and from what I understand FSS satellites are more susceptible to rain fade. The signal strength is also lower on 118.7.

I think I was on 118.7 HD local from St. Louis. Next time this happens I will do a better job for whats going on.

Just hit Menu, 6, 1, 1 when you lose the signal. It will display what TP and satellite you were on when you lost the signal.

OK, I remember you telling me that before. Do you know why the 625 has an OTA antenna port but the OTA channels will not blend in with the satellite guide? Wonder if I didn't do it right or something. I think I will connect it up again and check it out.

OK, I remember you telling me that before. Do you know why the 625 has an OTA antenna port but the OTA channels will not blend in with the satellite guide? Wonder if I didn't do it right or something. I think I will connect it up again and check it out.

The 625 has a pass-trhough connection so you can get your analog channels. IIRC, you press TV/Video on the remote and it switches to Antenna/Satellite.

Last edited:
The 625's OTA input is just a pass-through connection. When the receiver is shut off or the TV/Video button is pressed, the OTA passes through to the TV, where the TV tunes the OTA channels. This was designed in the original receivers as a means of connecting OTA for those customers who didn't have satellite locals and their TV didn't have any inputs other than coax.

As far as not generating a check switch error message when you covered them all in foil, I think it has to do with signal-to-noise ratios again. By covering the LNB in foil, you not only cut the signal, but you cut noise from adjacent satellite signals. IOW, when you covered 119, the 110 signal wasn't able to bleed over in to that LNB either. That means your receiver wasn't confused by a lock on an unexpected signal. I don't know of a way to duplicate that type of condition except to perhaps block 119 by placing an object in the line-of-sight a few feet away from the dish and then tuning to a 119 station to see if the receiver trips up.

The 625's OTA input is just a pass-through connection. When the receiver is shut off or the TV/Video button is pressed, the OTA passes through to the TV, where the TV tunes the OTA channels. This was designed in the original receivers as a means of connecting OTA for those customers who didn't have satellite locals and their TV didn't have any inputs other than coax.

As far as not generating a check switch error message when you covered them all in foil, I think it has to do with signal-to-noise ratios again. By covering the LNB in foil, you not only cut the signal, but you cut noise from adjacent satellite signals. IOW, when you covered 119, the 110 signal wasn't able to bleed over in to that LNB either. That means your receiver wasn't confused by a lock on an unexpected signal. I don't know of a way to duplicate that type of condition except to perhaps block 119 by placing an object in the line-of-sight a few feet away from the dish and then tuning to a 119 station to see if the receiver trips up.

Thanks for the info on the check switch. I did not know about this pass thru procedure. I will connect the OTA antenna back up to the 625 and try it out. I don't know what I will get because my antenna is UHF only. I have the antenna signal going thru an amp and then split three ways to the 625 and two 722s. So it is not like a modulated signal where the OTA signal is connected to the home distribution system with a super home node, combiners, etc. Does the 722 have pass thru too? I will try it out today.

Connected up the OTA antenna to the 625 and could not get the pass-through to work. Turned off the receiver and also pressing the TV/Video button methods and nothing happens. Tried switching around the TV’s video mode to Video 1, Video 2, and Cable/Antenna. Also tried changing the Tuning Band modes (Broadcast and Cable HRC, ICC, and Cable settings) It might be the way it is all connected. The 625 is connected to an old TV. There are four coax going to the TV/625 location from the head in area and connected by the following:

Satellite to the receiver satellite in ports
Modulated in signal from the home distribution system to the TV's Antenna/Cable coax port
OTA direct signal from a UHF antenna to the TV Antenna/Cable in port on the 625
Modulated out signal from the 625’s TV2 CH 21-69 coax port to the home distribution system

The 625 connection to the TV is by RCA composite. The 625’s TV1 S-Video and CH 3-4 coax out port are not connected to the TV. Could this be why the pass-through does not work? Thanks for your help vegassatellite and RandallA.

"The 625 connection to the TV is by RCA composite. The 625’s TV1 S-Video and CH 3-4 coax out port are not connected to the TV. Could this be why the pass-through does not work?"

I hadn't done this in years but yes, the 625 has to be connected to the RF connection in the back of the TV. The tuner on the TV is the one that will get you the analog channels and the TV/Antenna on the back of the 625 is just passing through the antenna signal.

"The 625 connection to the TV is by RCA composite. The 625’s TV1 S-Video and CH 3-4 coax out port are not connected to the TV. Could this be why the pass-through does not work?"

I hadn't done this in years but yes, the 625 has to be connected to the RF connection in the back of the TV. The tuner on the TV is the one that will get you the analog channels and the TV/Antenna on the back of the 625 is just passing through the antenna signal.

OK thanks RandallA. I have the home distribution system modulated in signal coming in to the TV coax port now. I guess I could combine the signals or use an A/B switch or something. Better yet, maybe dish it up and get a 722. I sure like the way it handles the OTA much better. I wonder if the 722 has pass-through too! Do you know if you do a dish it up thing to another receiver if you have to extend your contract?

"Do you know if you do a dish it up thing to another receiver if you have to extend your contract?"

You do. I just got a 722 back in November so they told me I'll under contract for another 18 mos. At that time it was still 18 months.

"Do you know if you do a dish it up thing to another receiver if you have to extend your contract?"

You do. I just got a 722 back in November so they told me I'll under contract for another 18 mos. At that time it was still 18 months.

WOW, OK thanks. I guess I will wait and see if Dish will do anything when they want everyone to be on MPEG4 only. That probably will be way down the road.

WOW, OK thanks. I guess I will wait and see if Dish will do anything when they want everyone to be on MPEG4 only. That probably will be way down the road.

I wanted the 722 so bad that I didn't care but I think I made a mistake to sign for another 18 months. Just wait and see what happens in the next few months with Dish Network.

I wanted the 722 so bad that I didn't care but I think I made a mistake to sign for another 18 months. Just wait and see what happens in the next few months with Dish Network.

What are you worried over? The HD channels numbers or the TIVO stuff that is going on? I am a little worried over the TIVO thing. There sure is bunches of post going on about it. I hope Charlie buys them out. I think that would be cool. He would have Slingbox and with TIVO, I would think he could come up with a dream machine! But, I can see where that could be a nightmare too.

What are you worried over? The HD channels numbers or the TIVO stuff that is going on? I am a little worried over the TIVO thing. There sure is bunches of post going on about it. I hope Charlie buys them out. I think that would be cool. He would have Slingbox and with TIVO, I would think he could come up with a dream machine! But, I can see where that could be a nightmare too.

I'm not really worried about the Tivo dispute. I'm just getting tired of waiting for my RSN HD, the SD version looks like crap and I do watch the local Pro teams (Giants, A's, Warriors, Sharks, etc) a lot. Comcast and Directv both have them but not Dish Network. The 722 is a nice receiver though so I will just wait until Hell Freezes Over and E* gives us CSN BA in HD. :)

I'm not really worried about the Tivo dispute. I'm just getting tired of waiting for my RSN HD, the SD version looks like crap and I do watch the local Pro teams (Giants, A's, Warriors, Sharks, etc) a lot. Comcast and Directv both have them but not Dish Network. The 722 is a nice receiver though so I will just wait until Hell Freezes Over and E* gives us CSN BA in HD. :)

Well, I understand your point. Maybe Dish will get caught up soon. I use to follow Comcast HD DVR forums because the DVRs are the same ones that my past Charter Cable company uses too. There were bunches of issues with them, but maybe they are all ironed out now.

Why not just combine the modulated distribution and the antenna signal at your mini head-end?

Also, yeah, the 625 would only pass through OTA through the TV OUT rf connection. To go out via composite, the 625 would have to perform the function of tuning each channel. Then you couldn't really call it pass through because the receiver would be altering the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts