Tilted Pole ( newbie question alert ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cold Winter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Another newbie :eek: question for you

Folks, I have an old 2.5" sched 80 steel pole in the back yard that is not exactly plumb. Its off maybe .5 degrees to the west.

If I mount a STAB 120 units to that pole is there any handy way to simply plumb the stab units frame??? Sure beats trying to right a steel pole mounted in 8 bags of cement if possible.

Any help, advise, even ribald remarks appreciated

for a motorized setup, you really must have a plumb pole. if it was a fixed dish, you can get away with it by adjusting the as and el accordingly.

I think your best bet is to try to bend the pole into position...

Get/ borrow a couple of propane/map gas tourches heat the sucker up till it's cherry red and it will bend like butter.

I recommend a chain and a truck. And take pictures because it has a certain "funniest home video" potential.

I had a similar problem with my pole for my c-band dish.

I ended up digging all around it until I could move the pole (royal pain), and then re-burying the cement base about 12" up so that it was steady and true. I then filled the rest of the hole with cement. I now have 12 bags of pre-mix in that hole - lol.

BTW, I tried the chain / truck method to get the old pole out when I initally replaced the pole. It bent the pole over like nothing and there was a bag and a half of cement holding the original pole in the ground.

You could shim the pole with thin flat sheet where the bracket clamps to it and measure plumb off the case of the motor / mounting bracket. Either that or make up a plate that goes on top of the pole and another plate that sits on top with a pipe welded to it. You could then shim the space between the two plates and have bolts at the four corners.

Thank YOU! Folks. A few good ideas to try out. :hatsoff:

I'll try and avoid the funniest home video route if I can :D

I used a tow chain to get a pole out of the ground when I retrieved my 10' mesh.. there was no way I was going to lift that thing into the truck, so I left it for the guy, but hey, at least I got it out of the ground!

I wouldnt really recommend the method to straighten a pole however...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)