Time again - Weekend Satellite Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just got back from the Mississippi River, was out on the in-laws cabin cruiser this afternoon. Stopped at a good pizza/smokhouse place that I have wanted to try for a long time.....how does this relate to Satellite? It doesn't :)

Tomorrow (today), I am going to bury some cable, take down 2 old unused mounts on my shed, saulk and black jack the holes, and take a pic of my new motor setup. Then, think of a project for next week! I am thinking setting up a Primestar for 30w, unless I can figure out how to get my motor to go that far. Is it possible?

OK, here are the pics...finally! Thanks to all for your help!

* The Dish 1000 is out of site on the shed. My wife said it looks like we moved with the dishes all gone :)

The Fortec dish is pointed at G10 or IA7, can't remember :)

Attachments

• 80cm1.jpg
    80cm1.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 80cm2.jpg
    80cm2.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 80cm3.jpg
    80cm3.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 80cm4.jpg
    80cm4.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Heh.. tuesday started my weekend, I got both uniden 4200 c-band recievers and the Coolsat5000 going in the house...( i stripped a feedhorn from a 7' dish owned by a cousin that was trashed) got a Coolsat 5000 slaved with a 8' mesh C-band going along with a 10' fiberglass with a C-band only and a uniden 4200 with VCII setup going also....

have to go to the lake house and pull the dock in and get the pontoon out of the water...well right now its on sand..have to push it back into the water, get it down where we can load it on the boat ramp

and its suppose to snow tomorrow :)

snow-the precip that falls as flakes and makes the ground white...

oh and it also makes people drive like retards :D

Tron...you want the 25F and the 30mph winds too that we have along with the snow? :D

Not much longer, and it will be snowing here. The temp droped about 15-20 degrees it seems the last 3 days. I had to pull out the oil heaters!

My project is to get my motorized unit hooked up. I have the poll in the ground, wire run, now I'm just waiting on fedex. :)

Last edited:
Only inside projects here this weekend as well as we are not getting SNOW YET but high winds and lots of rain from the same large weather system that giving Buffalo the snow.

Dave

Last edited:
well we never get that kind of snowfall ( we get very small amounts or sleat or ice ) i love to watch it snow but i also like to see it melt away 2 or 3 days later .
hope everyone is doing well after the big snowfall, didn't think about it being early in the year for record snow and catch all the leaves on the trees so it acts alot like the ice does here. breaking alot of trees . stay safe & warm and have a great weekend .

This was really last weekends project but I finished it up this afternoon cleaning up the wires. This is not all FTA related but a lot of it it is, so I thought it would be ok to post it here.

I recently bought a VIP211 and dish 1000 from TheDishStore, great to work with and fast shipping, as I was tired of only having ota locals for a source of HD content. I originally just set the 1000 up and it worked fairly well but I was not super thrilled with the reception on 129. 129 was only getting on average of 75%. I had a Globecast (channelmaster 76cm dish that I wasn't using so I took the single lnb off of the 1000 and mounted it to the Globecast dish and am using it for 129. I used the three lnb holder from the 1000 and had to modify the arm to match the mount tabs, nothing the cordless dremel couldn't take care of. I used the center position for the lnb. Much better reception this way as most all tp's are in the 85 to 95% range. Since I was using the lnb holder for the 1000 I decided to just take it down. I was using a dish 500 for the small bit of fta on 110 and 119, I didn't need this anymore so I mounted the dish pro + twin on it and that took care of the dishnetwork setup. I did try to just use the globecast dish for all three 110,119 and 129 but I was not happy with the results. It was better than the 1000 but I was looking to get the best possible signal from 129.

I replaced my crappy mount (an old direct mount)with a Univmount from sadoun., for my motorized 85 cm fta dish. The mount was taller and helped my LOS issues a great deal. Previously I could only see from 87 to 129 but now I can see from 61.5 to 148 :) At the same time I replaced the extreme II lnb with an Invacom QPH-031 and a 22khz switch. I am only using a one circular and one linear out. As others have noted this lnb is large and heavy compared to some others but it really wasn't that much heavier than the old globecast lnb I have, nor did it cause any flex or bending of the arm on my Patriot 85 cm dish. ( I have never figured out who manufacted that globecast lnb not much stamped on it. ) I was concernerd that I would lose some quality percentage so I 1st left the switch off and only used the linear side and randomly compared the results to the old Extreme II. Most tp's on most sat where either the same or 1 to 2% better on the quality reading. I hooked up the circular side and the switch and the results are very good. All tp's on all sats are getting equal or better quality % than my prevoius setup.

It all turned out to be very worthwhile. I am getting better reception all around, getting more sats on my fta setup and now am not limited with the circular polarity only being locked on two sats. I have ordered and since received an I adapter to replace the 3 lnb mount that I have on the globecast dish, just because I think it would clean it up and make it look better. Maybe next weekend I will tackle that and see if I can trim some branches off the tree that seems to be blocking my reception past 61.5. Im not sure how far the motor can safely go that direction (MY TS is 97w)or if there is anything worthwhile to scan for in that direction but maybe it will be worthwhile.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts