Time Change Problem 510/501

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jkohnman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

Sunday's change seemed to go okay. Everything worked fine yesterday, and up to 1:30 pm today (Last timer that fired normal). Now everything is off 1 hour. I did a couple of manual adjustments for an 8PM show and then did a reset of the box. Everything moved off by another hour. I did notice the time come up wrong at first, then jumped ahead 1 hour. When I checked the rest of the week timers they were off by another hour (2 hours now). Anyway, the 8 PM timer didn't fire so I reset it and now everything is off by 3 hours. Then I got a conflict with the 8 PM timer with a 7 PM timer (that was the 8) I HAD to do another reset, and finally got the 8 PM timer going manual (it was now after 8) but when I finally got it recording, then checked the timer again, everything the rest of the week is now off 4 hours.
Anybody have any ideas? I was trying to manually delete/re-do the timers but now I get a different result every freaking time, so am worried that won't do the trick.
I've accepted a lot with dish over the years, and have been mostly happy with them, but since the last upgrade of software, I am NOT happy at all. It's been missed timers, truncated recordings, on and on.
I'm thinking I need a backup plan? Any other "TIVO" type devices that can record the Dolby 5.1 sound along with the shows?
Thanks
Jim

I had a timer f'up this weekend. The channel in Baltimore that carries the new revised Star Trek:TOS shows it a 3am on Sunday Mornings. I found that it was only 3 minutes long this week. Damn! Khannn

All my 508 timers were an hour early. I had to go and manually change all of them. A big pain. Nothing like this had ever happened to me with any previous time change.

I came home Monday afternoon and found all of my timers on my DVR 501 were one hour early. I called Dish Tech Support. They had me reboot my 501. When I checked my timers after the reboot, they were all two hours early. (My DVR 501 has software version P365.)

The phone rep had me delete all of my timer events and create a new one. When I rebooted again the timer stayed OK. So I re-created all my timers from scratch and went to bed.

This morning, all my new timers were one hour early again.

My DVR 721 is operating normally.

Last edited:
This morning, all my new timers were one hour early again.

My DVR 721 is operating normally.

Okay, now I really am getting ticked. After seeing this, I went and checked mine, before I left for work. They are all off by 1 hour again. I went through yesterday and deleted all of them, and set them all up again. When I went to bed, the 11 PM timer had fired and recorded. So between midnight and 5:00 AM they all got screwed up again.
What is going on with these guys? I've been loyal to dish for 15 years or so, and have had more problems in the last two months than in all the 15 years.

I had tried manually creating all of my timers, but they still revert back an hour upon reboot (501 - p365).

This is beyond crazy. The program guide is perfectly fine, so why are the timers doing this?

I'm thinking of just leaving my receiver on (and disabling off Inactivity Power Off) for the time being.

I had tried manually creating all of my timers, but they still revert back an hour upon reboot (501 - p365).

This is beyond crazy. The program guide is perfectly fine, so why are the timers doing this?

I'm thinking of just leaving my receiver on (and disabling off Inactivity Power Off) for the time being.

This is what I can't understand either. If I go into the program guide it now shows the timer symbol in the 8PM show. But the timer menu shows 7 and it won't fire.

I never thought of leaving the thing on like you mentioned, might be worth a try.

I just got off the phone with a CSR. "This has been an issue" recently. Wanted me to do some stuff I did last night. She said if it didn't work might need to return the receiver and get it replaced. Don't know why they would want to do that, it's obvious to me this isn't a 'hardware' issue. I told her I've had more problems since P365 than in my whole time with Dish. She did say the software version should be P365, P366 or P367. Anybody know if it makes a difference? Last time I looked I have P365, but didn't think to check it last night.
Damn, I just want to watch TV not trouble shoot this thing.

She said if it didn't work might need to return the receiver and get it replaced.
I definitely would not do that. I ordered this receiver back in SEPTEMBER. I did not receive it until LAST MONTH. I don't even want to think how long it'd take me to get a replacement.

Damn, I just want to watch TV not trouble shoot this thing.
QFT.

Okay, now I really am getting ticked. After seeing this, I went and checked mine, before I left for work. They are all off by 1 hour again. I went through yesterday and deleted all of them, and set them all up again. When I went to bed, the 11 PM timer had fired and recorded. So between midnight and 5:00 AM they all got screwed up again.
What is going on with these guys? I've been loyal to dish for 15 years or so, and have had more problems in the last two months than in all the 15 years.

Add me to the list of 510 receivers that are experiencing timer problems since the DST shift. My wife has deleted her timers on our two 510 leased receivers now twice and redid them completely only to find them off by an hour the following day. This morning was her second time to go through this process.

Each reboot subtracts an hour from all timers.

Dish says that they are aware of this timer problem and will be releasing software to correct it very soon

Each reboot subtracts an hour from all timers.

Dish says that they are aware of this timer problem and will be releasing software to correct it very soon

Any idea what "very soon" translates to usually?

Normally I just kind of brush off these things, but there has been SEVERAL issues over the last couple of months. Each time something new and just as one stops being a problem something new comes up. I'm more upset with them right now than I've been in 15 years and that includes my time with the DP7200 (I think it was, the Microsoft one).

Ha ha.... just when I praised them for not screwing up my 622, I see they screwed up the 510 in my bedroom..... Gotta go kill the timers and redo them....

Ha ha.... just when I praised them for not screwing up my 622, I see they screwed up the 510 in my bedroom..... Gotta go kill the timers and redo them....

Killing them and re-do didn't work for me. Once it turned on again all were off 1 hour again.

I'd try a couple, but leave the rest until you can see if it worked or not.

Answer from Dish on PVR 510/501 problems

Wow, I gotta say, this impressed me. I sent the email (all the way down, figure you want the answer first). Within 2-3 hours she left a VM on my home phone, I wasn't home yet. Here is the email she sent as a follow up.
Jim,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. I attempted to contact you at your residence but was unsuccessful. However, I left you a voice mail.

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your DVR timers. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the software patch we issued to ensure your receiver correctly switched to Daylight Savings Time on the new date. However, our Software Engineering group will send a software fix either tonight or tomorrow night that will correct the problem. Please make sure your receiver is placed into standby each night to be sure it takes the update. once you have received the new timer You will need to delete and reset your event timers.

If you would like to discuss this matter further. You may contact me at BLANKED OUT. My hours are 11:00 to 7:30(MST) Tues-Sat.

Thanks REPS NAME
This is the mail I wrote them:
Sirs,

I just wanted to make my concerns as a very long term subscriber known. I've always been very happy with Dish and have recommended it to many people. You've always been at the lead of what is new and fun with TV & "Cable", and I've enjoyed that.

However recently I've had more problems due to software changes that you've been making to the 510/501 PVR's. Mine have served well, and I've enjoyed them for most of the time we've had them.

Beginning with the upgrade where the 'downloaded' movies were put in, each upgrade has caused problems. A few of the issues I've had.

1. Slow response on the remote
2. Timers recording normal, but then only having 2 minutes of the show available.
3. Timers not working at all
4. Newest problem all the times off by one hour

I follow Dish Network on sites like the SatelliteGuys.us etc, and know I'm not the only one having these issues. In the past I've over looked most of these as being that it's "new" stuff and things are bound to happen. However, the last 2 or 3 months, there have been a number of issues all clustered together and I'm really getting upset at having to wonder if my shows will be recorded or not. If I were seeing new features, such as name based recording, I might be willing to overlook things as 'working out the kinks'. But since I'm not getting new features and my box was stable for a long time, all this seems to be doing is forcing problems on me for no apparent reason.

Today I called Tech Support, who knew there is a problem, but I had already done all of the troubleshooting they were asking for, and the response was I might need a new box. Since I do read & post online, I know there are a lot of people suddenly having the same problem. I don't blame the Tech person, but I do wonder why the powers that be don't communicate the problem and an expected resolution to the Tech people. Also I spent an hour last night deleting and resetting all my timers, thinking I'd just 'bite the bullet' and do it, only to find out this morning that it was all off by an hour AGAIN.

I just want to watch TV, not troubleshoot my PVR. Since getting the 501 and then later, the 510, many choices have come on to market. This recent bout with problems has made me wonder if I should not begin exploring what options I have now.

Never with any of the problems, when I've called in, have I been offered any credit for my time and effort with the problems. I'm not asking for any now, but I'm am getting very disappointed in my recent service with these problems. I just want my box to work, and I'd like if you could stop making changes that are not very urgent, and then only if well tested.

Thanks

Spooling today:

PID: 0861h, ID: 6USD, FW: P368, Model: PVR501.34318843-36860218, 39750000-53413907, 60399000-64350065
PID: 0869h, ID: 6VSD, FW: P368, Model: PVR501.

Received P368 just now, which fixed the problem with the timers being moved one hour earlier each time the receiver was rebooted.
(One will still have to edit the timers to fix them, but after receiving P368, those timers will stay at the same times).

PS Mod should merge the existing threads on this topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)