Time for another subscription increase

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I was going to say it's that time of the year again for another "annual" increase, but the last increase was in January. This increase is effective for the October bill, only 9 months after the previous increase. My everything package went up the predictable $5.

• Sad
Reactions: telstar_1
$5 on the Welcome pack is a much higher percentage increase than $5 on the Everything pack. They are $5ing us to death. Plus the are not even waiting a year this time. Streamingis getting expensive, but Dish is $5ing themselves to death. They better make a success of their 5g phone/internet business or they will not be in business much longer.

$5 Hell!. The Welcome Pack is going up $9 ****ing dollars per month. Philo is looking better and better, since I do not watch any sports that isn't off my antenna.

$5 Hell!. The Welcome Pack is going up $9 ****ing dollars per month. Philo is looking better and better, since I do not watch any sports that isn't off my antenna.
Go with Philo and try it. IF you have an antenna then use it for your locals and get a ota dvr like Tv Anywhere they use with Sling or the Tablo ota dvr. I think once the companies collapse satellite/ cable by forcing prices up so much, then they will turn to streaming to try to get it to be the new satellite /cable model that they will extort more and more money from the customers. Personally if I didn't have Sling, I might just go back to ota only but there is nothing on but reruns and the locals are still screaming for more money. It's ridiculous.

But my point is they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Because younger generations won't ever subscribe to a Live tv service and could care less about locals and satellite and cable. My 23 year old Gen Z son told me today he didn't understand why we use coax these days. I told him since 2008 when we got Spectrum cable for internet, we had been using it ,not to mention the satellite we had since 97 three years before he was born. The only other option is fiber cable from ATT but I swore never to get back in the bed with those crooks. :eek:

Last edited:
Go with Philo and try it. IF you have an antenna then use it for your locals and get a ota dvr like Tv Anywhere they use with Sling or the Tablo ota dvr. I think once the companies collapse satellite/ cable by forcing prices up so much, then they will turn to streaming to try to get it to be the new satellite /cabl model that they will extort more and more money from the customers. Personally if I didn't have Sling, I might just go back to ota only but there is nothing on but reruns and the locals are still screaming for more money. It's ridiculous.
I only pay $73 a month for YTTV and I think it is too much.

For how much little new content you get and getting less and less every year.

Now with the strikes, it will be even be worse, streaming , at least, will have new content thru most of 2024, mostly because of the longer post production times.

Already made the decision to cancel YTTV once Sunday Ticket is over.

When you can get Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $25, Paramount+ with Showtime for $11, Peacock for $11, all commercial free ( except ESPN+) , you get the majority of what is on Traditional TV plus all their exclusive stuff, that is only $47 a month, $26 less then YTTV.

Still get Live Feeds also, CBS, NBC, Hallmark, Showtime, a few others, NBC is rumored to add more Live Feeds to Peacock, like MSNBC and a few others.

I can then get HBOMAX and Netflix 4K versions, only another $40 a month ( or 1080P for $30 for both), I am still only at $87 (or $77) a month.
But my point is they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Because younger generations won't ever subscribe to a Live tv service and could care less about locals and satellite and cable. My 23 year old Gen Z son told me today he didn't understand why we use coax these days.
My 33 year old son and 27 year old daughter have never had Live TV in their homes, just some of what is listed above, they would both be Gen Y, I doubt any of Gen Z have ever had Paid Live TV.
I told him since 2008 when we got Spectrum cable for internet, we had been using it ,not to mention the satellite we had since 97 three years before he was born.
Charter has been rock solid for Broadband for me since moving.
The only other option is fiber cable from ATT but I swore never to get back in the bed with those crooks. :eek:
I have heard AT&T Fiber is actually really good.

It seems like the media companies and Dish's solution for declining subscribers is to raise prices to help make up the difference. Market forces will eventually prevail.

No one ever promised us reasonable prices for TV.

If you haven't already, check out FreeVee. It has ads but they are much shorter than other ad supported TV.

It seems like the media companies and Dish's solution for declining subscribers is to raise prices to help make up the difference. Market forces will eventually prevail.

If you haven't already, check out FreeVee. It has ads but they are much shorter than other ad supported TV.
We've had this conversation before and I'm sure we will again. Do you think Dish's costs have not risen? You do know that their contracts with their providers have an annual increase in costs don't you. You do understand that their employees would like an increase in their wages annually so that they can put food on their table and have a roof over their head don't you. Do you think that the cost of electricity to run all of their equipment has gone down? Of course not, their costs of utilities have risen just as mine have.

Hence why cord cutting has increased every year.
4.7 million left paid Live TV in 2021
5.8 million in 2022
Predicted 7-8 million in 2023 ( 4 million already this year)
No, but we no longer have to take it with all the options out there.

No reason to complain about prices if you do nothing about it.
Same for Pluto, Tubi and all the rest.

But the vast majority of content is reruns, but I rather those services exist then all the reruns on paid Live TV that we pay for via per sub fees.

TANSTAFL!

Get over it. Grow up. Some companies, indeed, some countries, have entered the U.S. market underpricing their product until they drove existing entities under. THEN what happened to prices?

We are already seeing price increases among streamers. Expect MORE. And so many “providers” figure they can keep all their content and keep all the cash for themselves.

Enjoy the ride. It ain’t gonna last forever!

Meanwhile Dish continues to charge us ridiculous DVR and monthly receiver fees. If that isn't just pure profit, especially on those of us who own our equipment.
That is why I keep my one owned vip211k. I only pay for programming. I stream most of the time. The only channels on Dish I watch seem to be KTLA (Super stations, MSNBC, & TCM. If I could sub to those in a small package I would. I have the Flex pack, but I am considering dropping Dish. I went with the Flex pack as it was cheaper that Top 250, but now with as little as I watch Dish, I may give up on the Supers and maybe pick up Sling with TCM as an add on. To be honest I spend most of my viewing these days on Premium You Tube (No ads).

TANSTAFL!

Get over it. Grow up. Some companies, indeed, some countries, have entered the U.S. market underpricing their product until they drove existing entities under. THEN what happened to prices?

We are already seeing price increases among streamers. Expect MORE. And so many “providers” figure they can keep all their content and keep all the cash for themselves.

Enjoy the ride. It ain’t gonna last forever!
The paid steaming channels have all gone up. But there are thousands of free channels with Pluto, Xumo, Plex, Free Sling too. Does the Smart pack or welcome pack allow ad ons?

$5 on the Welcome pack is a much higher percentage increase than $5 on the Everything pack. They are $5ing us to death. Plus the are not even waiting a year this time. Streaming is getting expensive, but Dish is $5ing themselves to death. They better make a success of their 5g phone/internet business or they will not be in business much longer.
For the most part satellite & cable TV are on their way out. The reason for a lot of the increases now is to re-coup the losses of the number of subs they have lost. So we are paying the make up amount Dish lost.

Hence why cord cutting has increased every year.
4.7 million left paid Live TV in 2021
5.8 million in 2022
Predicted 7-8 million in 2023 ( 4 million already this year)

No, but we no longer have to take it with all the options out there.

No reason to complain about prices if you do nothing about it.

Same for Pluto, Tubi and all the rest.

But the vast majority of content is reruns, but I rather those services exist then all the reruns on paid Live TV that we pay for via per sub fees.
The interesting thing is with satellite and cable, for decades we have paid for commercial channels. Now there are thousands of free ad supported channels that stream. Yes, some run re-runs, but most of the news is up there, a lot of free sports, documentaries, etc. I am getting to the point where I watch Dish less and less, except for the occasional movie I have missed on TCM. Even MSNBC, CNN, etc stream a lot of their shows. Both podcasts and and on You Tube. If I went with the Welcome pack or Smart pack I could still get a few channels. Don't know if add on's are available. But I getting tired of paying $77 (Soon to be $82) a month to watch a couple of channels. Too bad TCM is not available in a cheap pack or ale carte somewhere. Sling has it, but it is an add on, so to get it, I would be putting out $50 a month.

We've had this conversation before and I'm sure we will again. Do you think Dish's costs have not risen? You do know that their contracts with their providers have an annual increase in costs don't you. You do understand that their employees would like an increase in their wages annually so that they can put food on their table and have a roof over their head don't you. Do you think that the cost of electricity to run all of their equipment has gone down? Of course not, their costs of utilities have risen just as mine have.
The condescending tone of your reply is not appreciated. I don't think you took the time to fully read my post before having a tantrum about it

I said "It seems like the media companies and Dish's solution for declining subscribers is to raise prices to help make up the difference." Yet you imply that I don't know that media companies (providers) are raising their prices.

Lighten up. It's just TV.

One thing I can do is to drop the News Pack from my Dish packages as most of it streams for free anyway That will save me $10 a month, so with the $5 increase, I will be gaining $5 a month. The problem is solved for the time being here. So I will have Flex, Supers, & locals.

Go with Philo and try it. IF you have an antenna then use it for your locals and get a ota dvr like Tv Anywhere they use with Sling or the Tablo ota dvr. I think once the companies collapse satellite/ cable by forcing prices up so much, then they will turn to streaming to try to get it to be the new satellite /cabl model that they will extort more and more money from the customers. Personally if I didn't have Sling, I might just go back to ota only but there is nothing on but reruns and the locals are still screaming for more money. It's ridiculous.

But my point is they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Because younger generations won't ever subscribe to a Live tv service and could care less about locals and satellite and cable. My 23 year old Gen Z son told me today he didn't understand why we use coax these days. I told him since 2008 when we got Spectrum cable for internet, we had been using it ,not to mention the satellite we had since 97 three years before he was born. The only other option is fiber cable from ATT but I swore never to get back in the bed with those crooks. :eek:
Both Philo & Frndly TV are good.

Reactions: charlesrshell