Time is wrong

DRich2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 11, 2004
Hi, I've been installed for three days now and the clock on both my STB's is still off by an hour. I had assumed this would correct itself by now but obviously I was wrong. What can I do to change it or get it updated?

Thanks

really there is nothing you can do when you get the new software update, the correct time will be updated as well as the program planner too.

DRich2 said:
What can I do to change it or get it updated?

TURN OFF the VOOM box at night, but leave it plugged in. That puts the VOOM box in standby mode. Do this for a couple of nights and you should see by morning that it got updated and displays the correct time.

Thanks

Thanks, I didn't realize I needed to turn the STB off to get the update.

I have been leaving my STB on at all times, should I start turning it off every night so it can be updated?

DRich2 said:
I have been leaving my STB on at all times, should I start turning it off every night so it can be updated?
Yes, it might help. At least this is what most of us did to get the update.

When the update was first rolled out, the stb would accept the update while powered on at like 2 am, but that may not be the case now since they are not being force-fed to the stb's, they are on a cycle now that's why it may take 2 or 3 days to get it.

Ilya said:
Yes, it might help. At least this is what most of us did to get the update.

I found this on Motorola's web site (VoomIM1003.pdf). It's dated OCTOBER 2003 so it may be wrong or dated. This is for after the installer has authorized the receiver.

"After the front panel amber “light pipes” have been blinking for at least 1 minute, pull the plug and power cycle the STB. The download should take approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete. The screen will remain black through the entire download process. The front panel display of the IRD will be blank and appear to have no activity. DO NOT TAKE ANY ACTION DURING THIS PERIOD. After the download is complete, the TV screen will remain black, and the STB front panel amber “light pipes” will begin to cycle/flash as the reboot process takes place. Wait about 2 minutes for this operation to complete. Note: Download files are delivered over the satellite in a carousel manner. If the STB misses a file due to bad weather, poor dish alignment, or some other anomaly, the unit will have to wait until another pass of that file is delivered over the satellite. This may cause in the download process to take longer then 30 minutes (before the “light pipes” begin to flash). After 2 minutes, the unit should automatically reboot, and you should be watching TV! If after 3 minutes, the “light pipes” are still flashing, pull the plug to reboot the STB."

So it looks like if you pull the plug that will instigate a software download.
Is this still valid?

It won't hurt to try, but I don't think these instructions are valid any more. Back in October-November STBs didn't have any pre-installed software. So each installer had to initiate the download during the installation. That's what this is about. Now all STBs come with pre-loaded software and the download doesn't have to happen immediately.

1080iWannabe said:
I missed seeing it after I changed mine when I got my HDTV. ;)
Looks like now you may need to change your name as well! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts