Time saver

spoiler1041

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Fl
Just for fun I did a backup of the remote and receiver when I first got my hopper all set up with timers and favorites. My hopper died the other day so Dish sent out a replacement but I was dreading setting up all my timers again when I remembered doing the backup.

BAM ! ! ! 2 minutes later my system was back to ole......

If you haven't done a back up to the remote yet don't wait......

The back up also backups automatically every seven days.

Hey, is that why I've seen a more recent backup date than when I did it manually. That is VERY nice. I was dreading that my aunt was NOT backing up her system, but now that you've told us it can auto backup, that helps a lot. THANK YOU.

Also, the System Wizard can be accessed from the menu options.

Hey, is that why I've seen a more recent backup date than when I did it manually. That is VERY nice. I was dreading that my aunt was NOT backing up her system, but now that you've told us it can auto backup, that helps a lot. THANK YOU.

Also, the System Wizard can be accessed from the menu options.

Welcome. In a recent post 3HaloODST said the backup was automatically but wasn't sure how often. So to find out how often, I decided to track the backup dates for four weeks on a spreadsheet for my sixteen remotes (thirteen 40.0 & three 32.0) that are paired to four Hoppers with Sling and one Joey. The 32.0 remote backup wizard is not compatible with the Hopper/Joey system. Nine of the 40.0 remotes faithfully updated every seven days, four 40.0 updated occasionally. These four remotes are at a remote location so I kinda think it was signal strength issue why they didn't regularly update every seven days. Don’t know what triggers the auto update, if it is the Hopper/Joey or the remote, but who cares. The auto backup system is nice to have when needed.

Welcome. In a recent post 3HaloODST said the backup was automatically but wasn't sure how often. So to find out how often, I decided to track the backup dates for four weeks on a spreadsheet for my sixteen remotes (thirteen 40.0 & three 32.0) that are paired to four Hoppers with Sling and one Joey. The 32.0 remote backup wizard is not compatible with the Hopper/Joey system. Nine of the 40.0 remotes faithfully updated every seven days, four 40.0 updated occasionally. These four remotes are at a remote location so I kinda think it was signal strength issue why they didn't regularly update every seven days. Don’t know what triggers the auto update, if it is the Hopper/Joey or the remote, but who cares. The auto backup system is nice to have when needed.

It would be nice if Dish crowed about this feature. It would make a really good commercial as every DVR user knows the horror losing all those timers and other customizations (and some crowing about external HDD feature would be good too), but maybe Dish isn't confident of it yet, or the marketing people feel it is too esoteric a feature. I know that they want only a few, simple, highly resonant messages out there, but I've always felt a campaign like the old H&R Block "Reason # 78 of why H&R Block [is great]" would be a good approach as people would be aware of the really many features of the Dish system and really hear about one that resonates with them and feel they are getting a highly versatile product even if they can't remember all the 100 reasons one should consider Dish, and they would feel Dish were a tremendous value compared to competitors. Although, the backup feature does bring along with it the fact that DVR HDD's DIE at some point, and Dish may not want that concomitant thought in the customer's mind.

It would be nice if Dish crowed about this feature. It would make a really good commercial as every DVR user knows the horror losing all those timers and other customizations (and some crowing about external HDD feature would be good too), but maybe Dish isn't confident of it yet, or the marketing people feel it is too esoteric a feature. I know that they want only a few, simple, highly resonant messages out there, but I've always felt a campaign like the old H&R Block "Reason # 78 of why H&R Block [is great]" would be a good approach as people would be aware of the really many features of the Dish system and really hear about one that resonates with them and feel they are getting a highly versatile product even if they can't remember all the 100 reasons one should consider Dish, and they would feel Dish were a tremendous value compared to competitors. Although, the backup feature does bring along with it the fact that DVR HDD's DIE at some point, and Dish may not want that concomitant thought in the customer's mind.

I hear what you are saying. I think the Hopper/Joey system is something awesome to crow about. BUT, I wish Dish would take a couple of years off from inventing something new and fix all the problems and install improvements for the Hopper/Joey system they have now. I wish Charlie would call Scott up and have him select the top five knowledgeable Dish folks from the forum, fly them out to Colorado, sit down with himself and the Dish engineers, top technicians, designers, etc. and discuss all the fixes that need to be done and suggested improvements for the Hopper/Joey. It is sad we don’t get solid feedback from Dish on what is happening for all needed fixes and suggested improvements that are posted in this forum. I know we get some feedback from forum insiders and the DIRT folks, but it could be a lot more. They are probably not being briefed on what is going on and/or restricted on what they can say. I think the man power is spread too thin in all the departments at Dish. They need to slow down, combine forces from all the departments and get the job completely done for the product they have now. If the Hopper/Joey had all the fixes completed and install most of the suggested improvements it would really be awesome and it would knock the competition in the A--. The word would get out and Dish would have big time new customers.

Does that automatic backup occur even if you don't use the Dish supplied remote? My Dish remote has the batteries in it and is very much in range, but I don't use it since the Harmony 1 does a much better job of controlling my whole home theater setup.

Can I just press for a restore and see what/when it backed up without actually doing the restore?

Skype should suffice. Flying is such a PITA.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Does that automatic backup occur even if you don't use the Dish supplied remote? My Dish remote has the batteries in it and is very much in range, but I don't use it since the Harmony 1 does a much better job of controlling my whole home theater setup.

Can I just press for a restore and see what/when it backed up without actually doing the restore?

I do not know what triggers the automatic backup to occur. When you are in the System Wizard menu what is the present last backup date for your Dish supplied remote? Is it no more than a week old? I went ahead and ran a test on one of my Hoppers for the hell of it to see what happens. This Hopper's paired remote automatically backed up on 05/31/13 1:49 AM. In the Welcome to the System Wizard menu I selected restore, receiver, and then selected restore. After the restore and reboot was completed I took a look at the timers list. All timers are there with the exception of one and that is a series timer that I installed after the last back date and time. The last back up date still reads the same 05/31/13 1:49 AM. Hope this answers your what/when it will back up too without actually doing the restore.

The backup occurs as usual. I have my Dish remote in a box along with a ton of other remotes because, like you, I use a Harmony. When I pull out that remote and press and hold the '0' key down the System Wizard comes up and shows me that the last backup happened on 5-28 at :08...... That window offers you the opportunity to Back Up, Restore, or you can just cancel out....

After reading this discussion I finally decided to use the back up feature. I have two HwithS and to my surprise, both had already done a backup without me doing anything. Both were backed up within a week of the current date.

Is this something automatic on the sling versions or did I do it in my sleep?

Reading earlier in this thread, it is automatic.

Reading earlier in this thread, it is automatic.

Thanks, glad to hear that I haven't been sleep button pushing again. ;)
I must have missed that info in this thread.

After reading this discussion I finally decided to use the back up feature. I have two HwithS and to my surprise, both had already done a backup without me doing anything. Both were backed up within a week of the current date.

Is this something automatic on the sling versions or did I do it in my sleep?

It is automatic, BUT you never know!! Be careful what you do in your sleep. LOL

Yeah, Bobby might start cutting us off earlier after a few stunts get found out.

Red MoCA Icons On the Joeys?

pgh dish channels in 15904 zip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)