Time shift on a DSR922 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I have a DSR922 into a HD201.
I'm wondering if there is a way to hook into my AV computer to do "time shift" of programs.

That is, record programs for viewing later.
I could hook up the old VCR but the results are pretty dismal.
I have a subscription through NPS for the W5 package.

The 922 can be modified with the R5000HD available from Nextcom Wireless to capture the transport streams and pass these to a PC over USB. This will do the time shifting you are looking for. The quality is impeccable because the bits are exactly what is sent over the downlink. The mod isn't cheap, but if you're VERY experienced with electronics you can save some bucks and do it yourself. Most should have Nextcom perform the mod.

something else to look at:

While Pendragon's solution above, using the Nextcom is unarguably the best quality, there are alternatives.

Since you mentioned a VCR, let me ask if you've seen DVD recorders with built-in hard drives?
They typically record to the HD, then optionally offload to DVD when desired.
You'd be limited to SD, but so would a VCR.... this'd just be more reliable.

And, it's a damned shame the Dish Network OTA PVR only records off-the-air signals.
If it had video input, it'd be an outstanding box.

The R5000HD is probably a bit more long term plan with the financial state of affairs around here, but certainly something I will think hard about. It seems pretty "clean"

I do have a DVR with hdrive that I have never used.
Since I have a S-video cable running between the 922 and the 201 it might be an idea to run that cable first to the DVR then back out and to the 201.

I wonder if that would work?

I had a Series 2 Tivo paired up with my 922 for a while.

The Tivo didn't control the 922 so I had to set timers for scheduled recordings. It was kind of a pain but it worked. Of course the video quality was nothing short of amazing with the 922 as a source.

I used a Dish network lineup and worked out translating the dish channels to the 4DTV channels. I was mostly recording movies so doing timers wasn't too bad, especially if I could park the 4DTV on Showtime East and record shows back to back or whatever.

I looked into the R5000HD but I decided to go another more user friendly route for recording HD and eventually sold my 922. There is someone out there selling a 'black box' that will translate between a Tivo and the 4DTV receiver. This would work out nice if you don't need / want to record HD.

I've been using a ADS DVDxpress for years now. It can use s-video or rca connectors and the quality is the same that's being sent to your tv set. The software has a timer function and an editing function if you desire to burn the recorded show to a dvd. And the amount you can record is only limited by the size of your hard drive. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts