Time table for ALL Digital Cable

daveh505@comcast.net

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 18, 2008
Las Cruces NM
Does anyone have a feel for when ComCast will go ALL digital? If this happens will we be able to view them without an STB?
Thier adds for ComCast to stay analog just doesn't ring true for the long run.
Is it true that if a person has a TV equipped with a QAM clear channel tuner he/she will be able to view the local affiliates' (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX) digital signal without a STB?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a feel for when ComCast will go ALL digital? If this happens will we be able to view them without an STB?
Thier adds for ComCast to stay analog just doesn't ring true for the long run.
Is it true that if a person has a TV equipped with a QAM clear channel tuner he/she will be able to view the local affiliates' (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX) digital signal without a STB?

People keep askingthese sorts of questions like there is only 1 Comcast. It varies from community to community. Actually, the FCC is encouraging the cable companies to keep an analog tier available for some time.

DTV and Cable Subscribers - Article

fcc said:
It’s important to know that the February 17, 2009 deadline for the digital television transition only applies to full-power broadcast stations – stations that use the public airwaves to transmit their programming for free to viewers through a broadcast antenna. Cable companies are not required by the government to switch their privately-owned systems from analog service to digital service. Cable companies are actually required by FCC rules to continue offering local broadcast stations to their customers in analog as long as they offer any analog service. This requirement will continue for at least three years after February 17, 2009. This means that customers who receive analog cable service (without a cable set-top box) will be able to continue to do so.

However, for business reasons (among other things, digital is much more efficient than analog), cable companies may decide to transition their systems from analog delivery to digital delivery. Your cable company may decide to move certain cable channels off of its analog service tier and onto a digital service tier, or it may decide to switch to all-digital service at once, so that there is no analog service tier for any subscribers. If your cable company decides to move some or all of the channels it provides onto a digital service tier, it may notify you that you need to get “digital cable” equipment to continue receiving that cable service. This may include renting or purchasing a cable set-top box or purchasing a digital cable ready TV equipped with a “CableCARD” slot. If you have a digital TV, you may be able to view broadcast stations through your cable system without additional equipment. You should ask your cable company about the equipment options that may be available to you, including any options to purchase equipment from a retailer if you do not wish to rent equipment from your cable company.

Thanks for the comeback. I may be dense but I didn't see an answer to the following question:
"Is it true that if a person has a TV equipped with a QAM clear channel tuner he/she will be able to view the local affiliates' (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX) digital signal without a STB?"
Would a person need the "cable card" to view the local digital affiliates?

Thanks for the comeback. I may be dense but I didn't see an answer to the following question:
"Is it true that if a person has a TV equipped with a QAM clear channel tuner he/she will be able to view the local affiliates' (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX) digital signal without a STB?"
Would a person need the "cable card" to view the local digital affiliates?

Again, I cannot speak for other areas. Rockford sends out the local digital channels as ATSC, as I can pick them up on a set that doesn't have QAM. They are required to provide locals in the clear, so you can receive them with the most basic package.

There have been issues with soe STBs where you can either scan analog or digital, but not both. That makes it difficult in those cases to set up both basic cable and HD/digital locals.

Rockford sends out the local digital channels as ATSC, as I can pick them up on a set that doesn't have QAM.

I guarantee you they are NOT sending them as ATSC - you're set's tuner MUST have QAM. (many tuners that are NOT marked as "QAM ready", in actuality, ARE QAM capable - this happened on many earlier sets)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)