Time to upgrade

khiyal

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Wow! It seems like it has been ages since I visited this forum, and a lot has changed. I just got off the phone with DISH CS, and basically, here is the scenario:

Currently, I have a DISH 942, non-leased. Two DISH 500, one pointing to ? 110 and 119, and the other for Internationals @ 61.5. I am using an SW64 switch

Now I want to get the DishHD Bronze pack alongwith the international channels that I have. Essentially, I will be removing the top 180, and the HD 9.99 package, and adding the bronze package.

I will have to change my receiver, i.e., get a 622 instead of my 942. I am told that I will have to pay $299 for the 622, and may either sell my 942 on ebay or send it in to DISH and get a $25 credit. I will obviously opt for the former.

Questions:

Is $299 the lowest price for 622 for existing customers?
Is the 622 considered leased or purchased?
Currently they charge me 5/6 bucks because I do not have my telephone cable plugged in the receiver. Is it the same for 622 as well?
Is 18 months the bare minimum commitment?
Beyond the "commitment", will I own the 622, or would I have to return it if I decide to go to a different receiver at that time?

TIA

Wait until April 1st. There will be a promo that will get you a $200.00 rebate for turning in the 942 to Dish. Total cost $99.00

Hmm, why not sell the 942 on ebay for $300+ and pocket the difference between the price and the $200 that DISH is offering. The difference would lie in the answer to the question of leasing vs. owning.

In essence, there is no way to OWN a 622 other than buying it at full price?

khiyal said:
In essence, there is no way to OWN a 622 other than buying it at full price?
That is right. You have to pay full price for it. So the best scenario for you would be to sell your 942 on Ebay and then use that money to buy your 622 if you want to own it.

Correct. You can buy a 622 for about $650 if you want to own it. You could get at least $300 for a 942 right now on ebay so yeah it may make sense to go that way. In april they are supposed to provide a 200 dollar rebate on 942 to make the 622 only $99. $299 is the lowest and only way to lease a 622 right now. And no you will never own it after 18 months.

And yes the 622 does require a phone and will charge you still. The single tuner receivers do not require a phone line connected but all the dual tuner models do or else your hit with the 5.99 fee.

Great info. Thanks a lot, guys. One more quick Q. If I decide to purchase a 622, will DISH still install it for me, or would I also have to pay for any equipment needed to install?

Dish 422

I heard that Dish will be coming out with a two tv hd mpeg4 receiver later in the year. Like the 622 but with no dvr. Anyone heard anything about this? I sent Dish an email about this and got a non responsive answer.

Bob

Is the only reason to hook up the single tuner model to a phone line for caller ID and PPV? Do they ever get upgraded through the phone line?

Dunno, I have been thinking about the utility of this for a while as well. however, could someone pls. provide info if DISH will do the install, and cover all equipment needed for install within their warranty or would I have to buy additional switches, etc as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts