Timer Priority Settings

I’m misunderstanding something here.

In message # 18, dwarren2 said “I thought that Hall was saying that a program is "New" if it isn't on the HD. My mistake.”

But isn’t that what Hall said in message # 13, “In this case, how it determines that the episode is new is simply by the episode not being currently on the hard drive.”

Can someone please clarify this?

In message # 18, dwarren2 said “I thought that Hall was saying that a program is "New" if it isn't on the HD. My mistake.”

But isn’t that what Hall said in message # 13, “In this case, how it determines that the episode is new is simply by the episode not being currently on the hard drive.”

It's a combo really. It goes by the guide if it says new and gives the epi.#. But if it records what is supposed to be the "new showing" of it then if the epi is showing as having been recorded then it will skip it. That was the case in the example given about Obama's speech as the guide doesn't refresh but once a day. So it was in memory that it had recorded and will call it a repeat and not record it. I hope that helps.

Sorry if I'm being redundant here, but just to clarify, the receiver is smart enough to record a repeat of a new show, if a higher priority show ends up making the receiver skip the episode marked as "New." but there is a repeat showing later on (say, 4 hours later, as is the case a lot of the time?) This is even if you tell the receiver only to record new episodes? What if the repeat is not until days later? It doesn't matter if it's not marked as "New." either?

That's very interesting. I never gave the receiver the chance to do that, as I would always just re-schedule a recording if I had to skip the new episode. If this is the case, then I won't have to do that anymore. Of course, I could always just check and see what is scheduled in the timer.

Basically .. its complicated. The take away .. is that most of the time it works as intended.

Because the event is not already recorded (not already on the drive), it sees the next instance as a replacement "New" episode, and records it to the drive.

its the "auto conflict resolution" at its best..

The important part, is that the *user* had to realize the show repeated ... and that they could move the timer for the repeating/re-play show .. and then allow the DVR to resolve the skip that gets created

Any time a *USER* has to manually modify a timer's recording time (ie. our O.P. was manually shifting the timer on SciFi, to allow other two shows to record since the SciFi show repeated)... that user needs to keep an eye out for this type of thing... some where, that the user can optimize the Timing "rules" (priorities)

Maybe an actual example would make it clearer?

Wed, Aug 24th, 9PM. You already have two timers set, for new shows only.
Channel 105 USA for Royal Pains
Channel 135 BBCA for Law and Order UK

You now want to add a third timer at 9PM (and you don't have an OTA tuner which would help make this easier lol)
Your Channel for NBC, America's Got Talent.

So you add it, and get the message you need to resolve the conflict by changing the priority of the one of the timers. You have two choices, to let this one automatically change priority, or you change the priority. Since this show won't be repeating (at least for most people) you can't use the automatic change or it won't record. So you pick the manual one, and move this timer up to number 1 of the three. It now will record at 9PM.

You then have what was number 1 at number 2, and what was number 2 at number 3. Now, what is number 3 (BBCA LAW and Order UK) will not record at 9PM. But it will record at Midnight, and if you look at the guide, it will show it set to record at midnight, even though it is not "New" it is a repeat, but as far as the DVR is concerned, it is new because it did not record at 9PM.

There are some other variations that can be done such as tell the timer to skip just this one timer, and it will record at another time, but that is essentially how it works.

Last edited:

Let me try to clarify. Tribune Media assigns a flag to a show. Is it a new episode or if it's a repeat, when the original airing was. If you select all episodes, the dvr will record a specific episode, but not repeats of that episode. If you select New, it will only record a new episode. When I made my post, I forgot they were talking about priorities and new episodes. I thought the comment was about all episodes.
A perfect example of what they are talking about is this. There are 3 different shows that have new episodes on at 9 PM today. Holmes Inspection (112), Ice Road Truckers (120) and The Great Food Truck Race (110). I can't record all three at once. The Food Truck Race is the last timer I set, so it has the lowest priority of the 3 so that one is skipped at 9 PM. All 3 shows are being rebroadcast later in the evening. A second showing of Food Truck Race is on at midnight. My 722 has scheduled that one to be recorded.
Hope that helps.

After all of these attempts to 'convince', I think the easiest test is to just ...... TRY IT ! A doubter, of course, will have the fear of "I'll miss the show" though.

I know this is an old thread but I just ran into something related ... and I'm impressed. I'm starting to think the DVR keeps more track of recordings more than we think. Here it goes: I saw a promo for "Car Fellas" a while back and thought it would be a funny show so I planned to record a few episodes. I forgot about it and saw it a few days ago, so I set a timer for "All" so that I could catch up. First episodes available were # 9 and # 10. I recorded them, watched them, and deleted them. I checked the timer today and it's going to record # 11 and # 12 soon. I also noticed that it skipped # 9 and # 10. Since I chose "All", I would have expected it to re-record them, unless they were still stored on the DVR.

As I said earlier, it either keeps a record of recordings or, and this is more likely, it had already skipped them as duplicates when they were still on the drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)