Timer question for the Hopper (preventing channel switching

markPetitfils

Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Missouri
Ok, I just got a replacement Hopper.

My daughter set up some timers to record her shows using the Joey in Bedroom1.
The TV in Living Room will sometimes pop up wanting to change channels to record one of those shows.

Is there a way in the timer options to force a program to only record on one TV? I remember having this option on my 722, and we didn't ever see this with the old Hopper.

I'ver read the manual, the dish support pages, and I've been in chat support for about 40 minutes waiting to see if they could figure it out.

Thanks!

They need to create the ability to assign timers to tuners, or at the very least make it to where it doesn't always interrupt the person on the Hopper. E.g. Say I am watching channel "X" and I have three timers coming up to record channels "X" "Y" and "Z." Well since there is no way to assign timers to specific tuners I am at the mercy of the random auto-selection of tuners. So I have a 2/3 chance of "Y" or "Z" wanting to record on my "X" tuner even though there is a timer already assigned to channel "X."

So "Y" interrupts my viewing and I have to use RED button to select the new "X" tuner, rather than the timer seamlessly "Hopping" onto the tuner I'm already using that is already tuned to channel "X."

It also makes you end up unknowingly taking up two tuners as channel "X" will start on another tuner while you are already watching "X" on the other. You then have to use RED button to select the new tuner and free up the tuner you were just using.

Also, timers should only interrupt the receiver from which the timer was created. Say you have 1H/1J, H watching "W" and J watching "X." J assigns a couple of upcoming timers for "Y" and "Z." As it currently stands, in this scenario you have a 50/50 chance of either the H or the J being interrupted for the timers. Well since the J set it up then it should only interrupt the J and only interrupt the H as a last resort (say J assigns three shows.)

Now I know that the Hopper is definitely aware of which receiver set up which timer, as evidenced in the Timers and Daily Schedule menus, and I know that the Hopper is capable of assigning tuners to timers, as Auto Tune events always interrupt only the H tuner.

So now the question is, why hasn't Dish thought of this already? They were already able to give tuner assignments to the older Dual-Tuners (Dish Record Plus) and the Hopper is obviously capable of assigning tuners to timers, so why is Dish placing so much emphasis on NOT assigning tuners to timers? What's wrong with giving the option to do it either/or like the older receivers? Or even a dynamic option in the timer setup as opposed to a switch that affects all timers? It's nice that you don't have to worry about tuner assignments with Hopper, but they should at least give the option to assign tuners.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Can you do it the way it is for the VIP series - by priority? (Which is what Auto Tune actually is - a #1 priority)

Adjusting the priority only changes the tuner that's recording if there are more than 1 recordings set for that time. It doesn't work the same as it did for the VIP, which is unfortunate.
When you see this notification, are all tuners in use?

Haven't had it pop up since yesterday, but we changed all the timers to daily and none of those shows are on over the weekend.

Yep sometimes Hopper refuses to change tuner assignments even when you modify the priority. I had hoped that that would be the solution when I first got Hopper but nope.

I do know that the "blue" tuner is always the Hopper TV tuner ("#1") "green" is #2 and "purple" is #3 but there is no way to modify which timer goes to which tuner.

It's actually one of the reasons why I got a third Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)