Timer recording stops before program ends

jackdemcak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 6, 2009
Rancho Palos Verdes
I have a VIP 722 DVR using L671 software.

I create timers by clicking on future programs in the program guide. When the timer is activated it does not start recording at the time the selected program starts -- it starts 3 to 4 minutes early and stops 3 to 4 minutes before the end of the selected program. I tried compensating for this by adding an additional 5 minutes to timers' stop times, but the recorded programs are still truncated.

Any ideas as to what causes this and how to fix it?

Most programs do work with 0 pre- and 0 post-recording timers. Many network will start 30-45 seconds or so early and may end likewise late with some up to 2 minutes. Setting 1, 2, or sometimes 3 minutes late may be truncated by having a following program on the same channel or with a duo recorder in dual mode vs. single mode. Five or more minutes should always extend the the recording. You should check that by seeing the record times after setting. Anything outside that may call for a replacement, but document it before calling.
-Ken

Also, recording something on the same tuner for the next hour may cause the option for recording extra time to reset to zero for that program.
That is exactly right its the clipping feature that they have and there is no way to turn it off unlike other dvrs
I know I do not like it

I have had the 722 receiver for over 2 years and have not noticed any clipping until a few months ago. If powerhouse1960 is correct, then the 722's recorded program clipping was probably introduced in a recent software update. I'll call Dish tech service in the off chance that others have complained and Dish is aware of the problem.

When I get some spare time I'll run some test using manual timers to see if the problem is specific to creating timers using the program guide.

Thanks all for your comments.

DISH's software has always been a problem with this, especially when the networks started shifting time 3-5 early, so that viewers would stay on that channel by getting a taste of the next program, which makes the previous program end early and the following one start early. Timers would step on each other and the way DISH deals, excuse me, doesn't deal with it is the problem. Once all OTA networks (I forget which one started it - probably the JA that put all the junk on the bottom of the screen) started this it defeated the original purpose. But the DISH issue remained. Ratings on "cable" channels started to go up when their programming started on the hour or half exactly, lately I have noticed even a minute or so later, so the practice started faltering. But still has not reverted to what it should be. TiVo has always been able to accommodate this. DISH, no. I would imagine that ability would only add to the "infringement". I have been talking to DISH people for ages on this and they all play dumb. Except for the few techs that have been honest and have said the DISH software just plain sucks. Plus the fact the EPG sucks also doesn't help.

I have this problem with any DISH device that has a DVR and timers.

Last edited:
TiVo has always been able to accommodate this.

DISH software just plain sucks. Plus the fact the EPG sucks also doesn't help..
yes tivio you can pick to clip the ending show or the starting show or turn it off and let the priority decide to not recorder works well.

the one that amazes me is if you use the guide button the guide will not show shows that start at a time not on the hour or have hour you have to use the browse to find them I missed a lot of shows till someone posted that.and their search is terrible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)