Timers recording Non-New episodes

I always figured they went off the part of the guide data that shows "new" if an episode is new. as I've had programs that are several years old with old dates that randomly said "new" in the description and it recorded it on a new only timer

I always figured they went off the part of the guide data that shows "new" if an episode is new. as I've had programs that are several years old with old dates that randomly said "new" in the description and it recorded it on a new only timer
Nope. ;)

I don't know what imaginary Tech chat you were watching but the ones I saw Dan said they do/did NOT use the word "NEW" they used hidden meta data that we the users do not ever see to determine if the programing is new and if any of that hidden data is missing they will by default consider the programing to be new so that you won't miss recording a new show.

Ok, when was that Tech Forum? The Tech Forum I saw a few years ago had Dan state very clearly that they were going to use the air date to deter main if a show was new. Now, this airdate may be in the metadata as well. So, in other words, there are at least 2 places the airdate resides: on the info screen that consumers access and in the metadata that consumers do not access. We could be talking about an error in the entry of meta data, but that doesn't change the fact that Dish very well uses the air date as the key information to determine if an episode is new, unless Dan lied, got it wrong, or Dish has since changed from using the air date.

I can say that from my experience using the Dish DVR, it is, indeed, air date that does have the most consistency of accurate recordings. But what of those recordings that fire even though they are repeats but we wanted new? That is due to the change of software that Dan did admit to on a past Tech Forum because too many people complained that the NEW episodes were not recording, so repeat episodes of some shows will record even if the user has selected the use of NEW timer. I think you are confusing that matter as proof that the DVR does not use air dates, but that would be an unsupported conclusion. In other words, all the correct metadata was there, apparently, but the DVR's weren't recording the NEW episodes in too many DVR's while other customers had flawless operations of NEW episodes recordings. This was the situation that forced Dan and Dish to alter the software to record, in many instances, repeat programs even if all the correct and relevant meta data was there for it NOT to record the repeat.

That is the problem we are all (at least on this thread) experiencing. Simply put, this is just another Dish software problem that has yet to be fixed so that a very high number of DVR's work as advertised. I won't hold my breath for a Dish solution.

Awaiting your auspicious reply, but I'm sure I'll just get another one of your rude ones. Please spend sufficient time to make it entertaining.

Last edited:
On any shows that I have problems with the timer recording everything ,even old repeats, I change my timer to weekly instead of new episodes. This happens on shows like Rescue Me and Dr. Who as well as some others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)