Timers

jesch3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Pflugerville, TX
Anybody else having problems setting up a recurring timer of an OTA show? I can set it up for one night, but it won't let me set it up to record new episodes.

Anybody else having problems setting up a recurring timer of an OTA show? I can set it up for one night, but it won't let me set it up to record new episodes.

Did you try to erase the timer and then set the new episode timer?

I finally got around to wiring an OTA antenna to the antenna lead and getting the stations into the program guide. I set up a manual timer and now do not find it in the recordings. What did I do wrong?

What is your satellite configuration? Do you get locals from DISH and if so what satellite? If you have your DISH hd locals off of both 129 and 61.5 and you have BOTH satellites in your sat configuration , you will have problems with all of you ota timers. They won't do name based recording. I figured this out in another thread . I have my locals from Beaumont/Pt.Arthur ,Tx and they are available off of both 129 and 61.5 sats. I had an eastern arc dish 1000.4 sat dish (72.7/77/61.5) + a side sat for 129 hooked into the lnb port. All of my ota timers were basically reduced to manual timers . I ditched the 129 sat and re ran the check switch and then my ota timers once again worked with name based recording. A guy in St.Louis in the other thread discovered he had the same problem except worse. His locals are off of 61.5, 118 and 129sats and he had all 3 in his matrix. He had the international dish with the lnb for 119/118 sats and the 129 sat and a side sat for 61.5. He unplugged the 118 and the 61.5 sats and his ota timers worked correctly again. So if you have eastern arc sats(72.7/77/61.5) 1000.4 dish or western arc sats(110/119/129) 1000.2 dish, don't mix the satellites . Or don't add redundant sats like 129 and 61.5 sats, pick one or the other. Also check the echostar knowledge base for your city and see what sats they are on to determine if this is the cause of your problems.

I've got a western arc dish with a seperate 61.5 dish.

I played with the system some more after posting last night as was able to program a manual recording. Not sure what I did differently other than clearing off some space on the hard drive. Its entirely possible that it wouldn't accept a manual recording with a full hard drive.

How does one get the full program guide for their locals and still record off of OTA? Do they have to subscribe to locals through Dish and if so, is there any point in having OTA hooked up since I'd also be getting the signal through the satellite dish?

Also, once you get the program guide from Dish are name based recording off of OTA enabled or would they actually be a time based recording?

1) Yes - you have to subscribe to locals thru Dish to get the OTA EPG.
2) Once you get this, it sets recordings "named based" - no difference in OTA vs. Sat as far as setting up recordings.
3) I love having both Dish and OTA networks - allows recording 3 network shows at once when needed.

Thanks guys for clearing that up.

How do you find out which satellite provides the lil for your area? I've got a western install with an additional 61.5 dish. Like to find out if I blocked the LNB that furnishes the lils.

You can record two satellite locals and one Antenna local at the same time.

Yes, but one of those satellite locals goes to TV2 as an SD recording, even if the program content was HD. So, the 722 effectively limits one to recording one satellite HDTV broadcast and one OTA HDTV broadcast at a given time, and you can't tune in another station while these two tuners are recording those shows. Limitations most of us can live with.

Yes, but one of those satellite locals goes to TV2 as an SD recording, even if the program content was HD.
Carl, this is not true! The TV2 satellite tuner is most assuredly HD, just like the TV1 and OTA tuners. The TV2 output is SD...

Carl, this is not true! The TV2 satellite tuner is most assuredly HD, just like the TV1 and OTA tuners. The TV2 output is SD...

Anything HD that I've recorded to the TV2 tuner is SD on TV1 when I attempt to play it back. Two bad experiences with TV2 and I no longer attempt to record any HD programming to it.

I've got a western arc dish with a seperate 61.5 dish.

I played with the system some more after posting last night as was able to program a manual recording. Not sure what I did differently other than clearing off some space on the hard drive. Its entirely possible that it wouldn't accept a manual recording with a full hard drive.

How does one get the full program guide for their locals and still record off of OTA? Do they have to subscribe to locals through Dish and if so, is there any point in having OTA hooked up since I'd also be getting the signal through the satellite dish?

Also, once you get the program guide from Dish are name based recording off of OTA enabled or would they actually be a time based recording?

What locals do you receive from DISH?

From Dish, the locals were the "-1" subchannel. With OTA using the Dish program guide, it was all of the subchannels which is usually 3 per station.

I'm getting all the national networks local affiliates and some local stations that I don't generally watch.

Anything HD that I've recorded to the TV2 tuner is SD on TV1 when I attempt to play it back. Two bad experiences with TV2 and I no longer attempt to record any HD programming to it.
Wrong. Tuners 1 and 2 and OTA are HD capable. Output 2 is SD always. As you can set up favorite lists separately for outputs 1 and 2, is it possible you have only SD in your list for output 2? This and dual mode might mean you would be selecting and recording only SD on tuner 2.

Are you operating in dual mode or single? In single mode, there is only 1 favorite list for both and the receiver switches tuners as needed. (In fact, you have no control over which tuner is used for any recording.) In dual mode you may be getting only the SD versions if that is what is set up in favorites.
-Ken