Tips for buying a used Sirius reciever?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
I have a 2005 model Kenwood head unit and am thinking about adding a Sirius tuner. There are a number of them on eBay for cheeep and was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom about buying a used tuner. I can use any of the Kenwood series (HTC-SR901,SR902,SR903) or the Sirius SIR-KEN1. Some come with an antenna and some do not (the SR901 looks like it needs the 2-wire one). Since it would be for use in my beat up old Mazda B2200 PU aesthetic appearance is not a priority. I could use a mag-mount antenna with the wire stuck through the rear wing window, or maybe just lay it on the dashbord. I drive nearly 150 miles each day in the LA area and suspect there are terrestrial repeaters along my heavily-travelled route.

Any suggestions as to what I should look for or avoid? Or should I just abandon the idea altogether and buy a new one from a reputable retail outlet?

We got one open box from Sams club, cost the same as a used one but with a guarantee.

My wife bought some magnetic paint for the top of my motorcycle helmet, when I get around to the wiring I'll have to post a pic of me listening to Sirius on 2 wheels.

Try to avoid the 901 as it does use the gen 1 antenna. I have the 902 and the 903 and cannot tell the difference on my two Kenwood head units.

Are there any issues like with used DBS receivers, like with unpaid balances or something? I know there is nothing like PPV on sat radio, but do they blacklist receivers for any reason?

>>>Are there any issues like with used DBS receivers, like with unpaid balances or something? I know there is nothing like PPV on sat radio, but do they blacklist receivers for any reason?

Get the ESN or as Sirius calls it, the SID, and call Sirius to see if it has a clear title. Sirius and XM do block activation for a number of reasons. If they seller will not give you the SID, stay clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)