Tired of Dish... :|

We will get used to this eventually just like all other changes along the way. I am sure I will eventually end up renting most of my boxes instead. I am really tired of shelling out all this money upfront to get the latest receivers , even with trade ins with Dishdepot.com. It does become expensive.
With no actual lease charge (other than the dVr charge and extra reeceiver charge that you pay anyway if you own your equipment) I like the idea. They upgrade it, they fix it if it's broken when it breaks down without an extra maintence fee, etc. Plus there's no cost up front (that doesn't get used in the first months bill) and no contract.

Some people remark that paying Dish network's DVR fee is like paying for nothing, or they shouldn't charge, but I think they have the same right to charge as tivo does. Why is tivo's considered valid and not dish's? They both provide the service, so I think ayone that believes one should be able to charge and the other not is clearly not thinking properly. Tivo can charge for the service, but dish has to give it away? Give me a break. If it's a bogus charge, then it's bogus for both companies. If it's legitimate, then it's legitimate for both.

SimpleSimon said:
Looks like D* has a game of CSR roulette going just like E*. :D

Yea, but she didn't have to be a total jerk about the whole thing. They weren't interested in keeping my business, just pissing me off. She just about did everything but call me an idiot for wanting to cancel, very combative.

chingon said:
Some people remark that paying Dish network's DVR fee is like paying for nothing, or they shouldn't charge, but I think they have the same right to charge as tivo does. Why is tivo's considered valid and not dish's? They both provide the service, so I think ayone that believes one should be able to charge and the other not is clearly not thinking properly. Tivo can charge for the service, but dish has to give it away? Give me a break. If it's a bogus charge, then it's bogus for both companies. If it's legitimate, then it's legitimate for both.

I've used both, and while I am currently using Dish, I wouldn't be happy paying for it (I have a 508, which is not subject to the fee). Tivo has add-on capabilities that are worth paying for; Dish just allows timers like a glorified VCR. For example:

1. Tivo's Season passes which find your selected shows whenever they are on: if an episode is aired at a different time, tivo will get it. If it's not on, it won't record it. You have a choice of first run (i.e., no re-runs) or all episodes. As I write this my Dish DVR is recording whatever show is typically in the 10:00-11:00 timeslot on Wednesdays, even though it isn't on tonight (it's just an automatic VCR timer that has always been included with every dish box, but rather than triggering your VCR, it records the program internally).

2. Tivo make suggestions which finds shows that are similar to those that you have recorded. After Tivo learns about your viewing habits for a few months, you may actually like some of its suggestions. I initially thought this was a useless feature, but I watched about a dozen movies/shows that Tivo recorded when I had it.

3. Tivo has robust search capabilities to find upcoming programming by name. Search by actor, title, genre, etc. Every time I try the title-only search capabilities on my Dish DVR, I get frustrated spending 10 minutes without finding what I want.

Dish's DVR service is not a value-added service: the dish DVR is really just a regular receiver + a hard drive. The software is not really any more sophisticated than the software contained in the non-DVR Dish receivers (other than the pause capabilities). The Tivo software is something completely different...

Don't get me wrong, I am price sensitive. My Tivo was a stand-alone unit, and I sold it when the increased the fee from $9.95/month to $12.95/month. I also didn't like the MPEG re-encoding/re-decoding that occurs with the stand-alone unit, so I wanted an integrated unit. However, I would gladly pay the $4.99 for the Tivo capabilities (believe me, I wish Dish offered Tivo).

If Dish imposed a $4.99 fee on my 508, my reaction would be "FOR WHAT?".

As has been stated many times, the "FOR WHAT" is simply because they can get away with it, and there's not a blasted thing we can do about it. :(

If yall don't like the $5 fee for using DISH's DVR then the best thing to do is vote with your wallet.....

High Technology said:
Dish's DVR service is not a value-added service: the dish DVR is really just a regular receiver + a hard drive. The software is not really any more sophisticated than the software contained in the non-DVR Dish receivers (other than the pause capabilities). The Tivo software is something completely different...

Plenty of Dish subscribers similarly consider Tivo to be the same thing you characterize Dish DVR's as though. What is considered "value-added" to yourself is another persons overglorified, unnecessary, and remarkably underwhelming software featureset that ultimately isn't worth the inflated additional monthly charge that comes with it. I personally could honestly care less about things like automated season passes, suggestions, and more robust search features. Its just not worth the extra cost when you can get to the exact same end results manually without needing your hand held every step of the way.

With Dish Network PVR's, you can very easily search through the electronic program guide (during commercials is typically a great opportunity) at least once a day to see whats on that night as well as the following days and if something stands out, setting a timer for it is as easy as pressing select while highlighting the show title. Not exactly a major burden by any stretch of the imagination. If those three features you listed in your post are worth it to you then great, but keep in mind thats money well spent elsewhere for a whole lot of other satellite users.

My folks have had E* for a long time, they have always had trouble with them, but the reason they stayed was because at the time they had the best 4-room deal around. They really want HD but like yourself it's a pain in the rear to get it going... DirectTV would be the next best thing especially with the rumors (that haven't happened yet) of bigger dishes, mpeg4, and 22 HD channels (mostly locals in HD for east and west). If you want the MOST HD right now, that would have to be Voom. Been a subscriber since May and been very happy with all the HD they offer (VaVaVoom pack). They don't have an HD-DVR like D* does, but it's expected this year or early next year, seems to be delayed because Voom is also expanding to WM9 and a 2nd sat towards the end of this year as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)