Tired of my receiver resetting, but DirecTV wants $$ to fix.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pete592

Original poster
May 16, 2005
Portland, OR
I just got off the phone with DirecTV service. This was just one of many calls I have made over the past year or so due to my HD receiver resetting itself on multiple occasions, requiring me to go through the system setup every single time. At first, the receiver would reset whenever my house lost power. But now, it resets at random, on average, about every 2 weeks or so.

This time, I requested that the receiver be replaced. I was transferred to someone who had me read off the satellite signal strength to him. The readings included numerous "n/a's". Then I was told that it "appears to be" a problem with either the LNB's or the dish alignment.

That'll be $49.95 for a technician to come to the house or $5.95 per month to sign up for the protection plan. I told him that I will put up with resetting the receiver for the last 6 months of my contract, because I'm not paying DirecTV any more money.

When these last 6 months are up, I am no longer a DirecTV subscriber. When I call to cancel and they want to know why, I'm going to have a laundry list of peeves to read to them, politely, of course.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can find some guidance on making sure my dish is aligned correctly? A link perhaps?

As I've said before, DirecTV and Dish Network BOTH SUCK. This is just one more reason to add to the DirecTV column. Both services will ask for more money to stand behind their shoddy equipment.

Just curious, but once your contract ends where will you go? I know it's a pain to have to pay DirecTV to fix their equipment BUT the only option for me if I were in your shoes is Charter. With DirecTV, I pay approximately $5 a month for a DVR. With Charter, I would pay $15 a month. So even if you were to pay the $5.95 for the protection plan (which I do) you still would pay less a month for equipment than you would with cable. Since I have been with Dish, DirecTV, and Charter over the years, it has been my experience that all three will nickle and dime you where they can. You just have to pick the one that does it less (which can be hard to figure out sometimes until you get your first bill). If I were you, I would get the monthly protection plan and get your system fixed. But it's ultimately up to you.

Spencer:
HD-H21-200

Burks:
When my contract is up, I'll be hooking Samsung DTBH260F back up to the aluminum antenna on the roof and enjoying free OTA content. This combined with the Netflix Roku box, Netflix blu-ray rentals, and the ability to watch many shows over the internet (Hulu, etc.) will give me all the entertainment I need, it will save money, and most importantly, it will give me complete control.

I've had experience with cable, DishNetwork and DirecTV. ALL THREE OPTIONS SUCK in their own way, but they all have one thing in common: forcing consumers to pay for channel packages full of crap content in order to get the few channels that they actually want.

Until providers start giving consumers what they want, they won't get another penny of my money.

... they all have one thing in common: forcing consumers to pay for channel packages full of crap content in order to get the few channels that they actually want.

Until providers start giving consumers what they want, they won't get another penny of my money.
By providers I hope you mean the content providers and not the service delivery provider (cable/DBS). In order to get the most watched channels, the provider companies must purchase the packages from the content provider. A-La- Carte has been discussed many times and the bottom line is that this would cost you more for fewer select channels.

By providers I hope you mean the content providers and not the service delivery provider (cable/DBS). In order to get the most watched channels, the provider companies must purchase the packages from the content provider. A-La- Carte has been discussed many times and the bottom line is that this would cost you more for fewer select channels.

It’s going to cost more because consumers will roll over and allow the content providers to dictate that it costs more. So long as millions of subscribers continue to put up with crap channel packaging, the industry will continue to dictate and control the market. Consumers will continue to finance crap channels that very few people watch, instead of condemning them to their rightful death in a free market where only good content with broad appeal survives.

I may be some bitter, disgruntled crusader who’s sticking it to the man with no effect, but I won’t be among the consumers who continue to play into crap channel packaging. The best part is, I won’t be missing much at all. If it’s a show or a movie that’s good enough to pay for on cable or satellite, then it’s good enough to wait for the day it shows up in another form of media. If a program doesn’t eventually show up in another form of media, it simply means it wasn’t that good to begin with.

1. do you have more then 1 reciever on the account. the reason I ask this is, if there more then one box capable of seeing all the satellites locations and your so called defective box is unable too then it is most likely a reciever issue. If both cant see it then it is a dish allignment issue.

2. Dont come out with piss and vinger if you talk to tech nicely they might be willing to work out something with you. Like at one point and time they could offer you free service call right away if you agreed to carry protection plan for a year.

3. Try being less bitter less disgruntled and you might get something done also think out side the box to expalin to them it that it is a reciever issue and not a dish allignment issue as they believe. But make sure that it is a reciever issue or you will be eating yoru words later on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)