Tired of not getting "local" locals, would like some help!

I ended up buying 2 RCA ANT751R's which seem to be close or the same as the EZ HD Antenna. Denny was helpful but I went the less money route because I don't think the db gain levels of the EZ HD Antenna is going going to help me that much since I could pull what I wanted with the GE UHF antenna from Walmart. I am however getting a better antenna for the price of one at Walmart because it's UHF/VHF/FM so I might even hook it up to a stereo like I used to when I was a kid, LOL. They are being shipped with a preamp and and combiner and I will let everyone know how it turns out.

I got one of the little Walmart attic mount antennas for my son. I put a pole in a 5 gallon bucket and set it on his patio. Not sure how long it will last since the plastic frame is made for indoors. I pointed it south towards Cincinnati which is 30 miles or so. We locked in everything there. Funny thing is it also locked everything from the north on the backside of the antenna. North is Dayton Ohio about 40 miles. So design wise it was a decent antenna especially outside lol. Total of about 37 channels

Hey:

Sorry for the lag in getting back with you.

I would say to just try one of the antennas first, aimed south toward WSVF-LD and W30CT-D. See how that does. I suspect you have a strong enough signal from WVPY that you don't need an antenna aimed at it, and the main WHSV transmitter is south of you anyway so I think that should give you the full set.

Sounds like you've made a good choice!

- Trip

Thanks Trip, I agree, WVPY can come in on a pop can and string, LOL. I am going to take one out, see if it works in both directions and then if so, mount them and make permanent. I know I got the WHSV stuff from the northern shot but that might have been just the TV3 out of Winchester but I could have swore it was Harrisonburg too. We'll find out as soon as the stuff comes. Might be a week before an update.

Nice Blindowl, one of the plastics broke on me but it still held together and worked so I'm sure it can be rigged if enough of them break.

The same programming runs on all three WHSV transmitters:

3-1 ABC-HD
3-2 Fox-SD
3-3 ABC-SD "TV3 Winchester"
3-4 Me/My

So you only need one of them. If you give up the one to your northeast, no loss as long as you have the main transmitter south of you.

Let us know how it works out!

- Trip

Ok, I have temporarily mounted the antennas on the knee wall in the bonus room of my garage until I permanently mount them in the "attic" above my second floor and may even do it in the "attic" of the bonus room. I mounted one antenna and didn't even aim it, just pointed in general direction and ran scan and to my surprise, I picked up 30.1-3 and 43.1-2 but the 43's went in and out so I moved the antenna a touch and bam, had those channels and I was pumped. So then, my combiner and preamp showed up in the mail but I left the amp in the box, used a compass and pointed the second antenna at about 65 degrees, connected to the combiner and did a scan and picked up every channel. I thought about adding the preamp and stuff and trying to pull in Martinsburg but I think there will be too many obstructions. I am real happy. I don't see any need for the preamp as I have picked up all 13 channels that I thought was a possibility even CBS on 43.2 which I didn't' know about. Now I just have to figure out a way to fine tune the antennas or should I not worry about it unless I get signal loss? Also, by sending the preamp back, I'll have about $83 in my setup so that is awesome to get my "locals" even though some aren't technically local for my area.

Excellent! Glad to hear it worked out for you. You may need to tweak the positioning depending on what kind of signal loss you see, and I would say to hang onto the amplifier until you are sure it is acceptable in the permanent location, but otherwise, it sounds like you are doing well!

- Trip

I wonder if you put one of these flat panel antennas in front of a satellite dish to try to collect more of the signal if it would be much help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SatelliteGuys

Of course after all of this, I then found out I could probably get the WHSV locals on D* now. Oh well, I get DC locals on D* and get my closer locals too so it's not all bad.

I hooked up the preamp on Saturday. I could pull the 42's easily (no issues) from the same tower as the 3's but I'm thinking WHSV is having some issues. I see some comments on their facebook about people losing signal. I'm not sure what their issue is but the reception has been more stable since I added the preamp. Their signaling looks to be an ongoing issue even years ago from what I've read so hopefully the preamp will and has solved the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts