TiVo added a bunch of channels the other day that I haven’t the slightest of receiving off-air...

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
For example, I looked at the locations of some of the channels which are like 180 miles as the crow flies! What idiot submitted this lineup report? There’s NO WAY of receiving these channels at my location.

For example, I looked at the locations of some of the channels which are like 180 miles as the crow flies! What idiot submitted this lineup report? There’s NO WAY of receiving these channels at my location.

They started that crap way back when Rovi took it over. Just go into your channel list, and uncheck them. I'm in mid-Michigan, and they add channels for me at random in a circle extended out as far as Minnesota. Totally insane...

Reactions: edisonprime
I guess if they think they can juggle hundreds of stations in their database, someone will perhaps be impressed.

TiVo has lost sight of what made them a household word: simplicity and reliability.

Once the repack gets going in earnest, I suspect that things are likely to be messy for a while in terms of guide data as stations move to new radio frequencies. An overabundance of guide data would seem to be a huge liability.

You need to report this mess to TiVo.

There should only be OTA stations listed that are receivable in your zip code.

I might even re-run the setup for your zip code just in case you got a bad batch the first time.

I'd say 50 miles radius from your DMA border.

I get 2 channels in the downloaded TiVo database that I cannot receive, they are from adjacent counties about 60 miles away.

Mine shows pretty much everything in the state... several different 3.1, 3.2, 3.3's (PBS)8.1, 8.2, 8.3 (NBC) just have to do signal checks to pick the right ones...
They may have switched to going by DMA instead of Zip code, your DMA is almost the whole state since Albuquerque took over most of the local stations.
I miss the time when we got NBC from KCBD in Lubbock, Johnny Carson came on at 9:15pm.

Reactions: N5XZS and dfergie
Used go to ENMU in Portales, NM used to get Lubbock, Amarillo and others citys by Tropo Ducting condition which is somewhat fairly common. Sadly we don't get that kind in Albuquerque metro areas save for E-skips on the VHF low band rf ch. 2 to 6.:)

I'd say 50 miles radius from your DMA border.
DMAs can be rather large and employ dozens of translators. Oregon has four DMAs and one (Bend) is kind of in the middle of the Portland DMA. That method probably doesn't make sense here where the Portland DMA covers a >250 mile span from southwest Washington to the southern Oregon border and employs dozens of translators.

I'd suggest that they use something like antennaweb (or maybe the horribly dated tvfool) to determine what a user is likely to see and deliver a little better tailored result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)