Tivo and Comcast ink deal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Could Dish be far behind in inking a deal? They have to settle that lawsuit from Tivo somehow. Best way to deal with it is to pay for the software.

Maybe someone should do a poll asking us if we think Dish will pay Tivo for the software or if they will buy Tivo to settle the lawsuit.

MikeD-C05 said:
Maybe someone should do a poll asking us if we think Dish will pay Tivo for the software or if they will buy Tivo to settle the lawsuit.
-----------
I think a more likley outcome would be more cable providers signing deals with
Tivo (Comcast deal was not a exclusive one). Since hardware is being provided by the cable company(lots of comps. have dvr's, but crappy software), this would be a sensible match. Who knows...maybe Tivo and D*
will kiss and make up taking the pressure off of the spector of suddendly
having millions of potential new customers for cable? :D

The suggested opinon has been that D*, want's to develope and sell/rent there own
DVR. I think they have stated that they do not intend to renew the contract with Tivo,
which expires in 2007

> Why are D* and TIVO separating anyway??

News Corp who recently took over DirecTV has a company called NDS that makes DVRs among other things.

However, it is still unknown if DirecTV will completely drop TiVo right away after their contract ends in 2006. DirecTV may keep TiVo for an "upgrade" service. But who knows.

Definitely for TiVo, this Comcast deal is a very good news. I just hoped that it happened a couple of years ago. :)

Hong.

hongcho said:
> Why are D* and TIVO separating anyway??

News Corp who recently took over DirecTV has a company called NDS that makes DVRs among other things.

However, it is still unknown if DirecTV will completely drop TiVo right away after their contract ends in 2006. DirecTV may keep TiVo for an "upgrade" service. But who knows.

Definitely for TiVo, this Comcast deal is a very good news. I just hoped that it happened a couple of years ago. :)

Hong.

I don't know but ask Scott

This what scott posted a year or two ago.

DirecTV is planning on rolling out "A DVR in Every Home" where all DirecTV customers will be upgraded to a DirecTV DVR. This DVR will not use TIVO, however it will use software from News Corp. This DVR will have NO MONTHLY DVR FEES. The users will have the option to upgrade to better TIVO based software for a monthly charge. The new units will have additional hardware such as 8psk which would let DirecTV offer more channels with their existing bandwidth. No word on if this upgrade will cost the customers anything
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=361512&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)