Tivo and Dish 322 Connection probs!

cla517

Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
We just got Dish and have been trying to hook it up to our Tivo. This seems to cause problems. We get lots of messages "finding satellite" and the dish and the tivo seem to be "fighting" for the phone line.

Is there somewhere I can look to see exactly how this should be set up? Thanks!

I had the same set-up before I got rid of the TiVo and got a 2nd 942. The hook up is very easy. Just use the composit (red, white and yellow) output from the 322 and put that in the input of the Tivo. Hook up a phone line to each and set up the infared blasters and you should be good to go.

The finding satellite message is probably completely unrelated to the Tivo setup. Does it work fine without the Tivo?

Why do you think they are "fighting" for the phone line?

The finding satellite has nothing to do with the Tivo. I had the same problem when I first got a 322. It turned out to be a bad connector crimp on the coax cable.

You shouldn't be having a phone line contention issue either because the 322 normally only calls out once a month, except for pay per view, billing calls.

When I hooked up my Tivo and programmed it to control the 322 using the IR blaster, I found how to keep the set up reliable, through trial and error.

1. Make absolutely sure that the Tivo is set to show only the channels you can receive on the 322. If you don't do this, the Tivo may try to change to a channel you do not receive. If this happens, the Tivo cannot produce the IR responses necessary to get to a channel that you can receive.

2. Enable program guide updates on the 322. Schedule them for a time that there are few or no programs that you want the Tivo to record. You need about an hour per day.

3. Set up a manual timer on the 322 to automatically tune to a station that you receive about an hour after the time set up in #2 above. Others have suggested that the time be set to 1 minute before the hour so that the Tivo can tune to a station on the hour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts