TiVo and DISH / Echostar head back to Texas for another patent duel

If you aren't making it up, let's see a quote from Dish saying they never had much chance after the jury found them infringing.

Their engineers admitted so in the email and it was part of the court record.

I am not going to go on with your issues with me while totally ignore the issues at hand, that is do you think TiVo has a chance now, if so why?

Has TiVo done their job to prove continued infringement, if so why? Tell us what do you see that TiVo has a chance this time and we'll talk.

If all the TiVo folks can say is but TiVo won last time, Then I will not waste any more time to respond to that.

It is unfortunate that the TiVo folks don't even have anything to "make up" for themselves these days, all they can do is live in the past.

Their engineers admitted so in the email and it was part of the court record.
So let me see if I've got this straight. Their engineers said they never had much chance after the jury found them infringing even before the jury found them infringing? How could they say something "after" and "before" at the same time? and you can't provide a quote? Imagine my surprise.

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

...Oh what a tangled web we weave...

Interesting point.

Tivo now takes precisely the same position, that E*'s witnesses said some things stupid during the trial now they are trying to use that against them, look E* did so in bad faith, how could they say the PID was infringing then but now change their statement? How can you say $750k a good effort for design around? How come E* did not tell the judge they were going to design around?

Judge Folsom are you not pissed enough that they lied? And they had the ball not to tell you they lied? Lier lier pants on fire, got you, you lose!:)

At the same time, TiVo totally forgot what they need to do to actually prove infringement by clear and convincing evidence:) Some thing they did so well three years ago during the jury trial but not doing it at all right now.

Maybe E* was throwing this "tangled web" just to keep TiVo preoccupied with such nonsense.

Back on topic...for those of us who have grown weary of this 5-year ordeal, what's the current summary of this latest iteration of this never ending battle (i.e., have arguments in this case concluded? - when is Judge Folson going to issue his "final" ruling regarding infringement? - and when will this matter finally end?) Oh, in 50-words or less, please.:rolleyes:

Judge Folson is currently looking to rule on if the new software downloaded to the receivers are more then coloribly different then the infringing software. This could decide if the injunction should be enforced... basically if not more then colorable, the injunction would most likely stay in force. Also not ruled on is contempt of the original injunction to turn off the DVR function. Then after all that there would need to be a decision on any additional fees/fines if appropiate.

These rulings will most likely not come for a number months. Also count on an appeal being filed no matter which way the ruling goes.

Just be sure not to go by information posted on other sites as some members there post lies to bolster their argument.

Last edited:
Here...reading material...

Rope-a-dope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

I've said it before, I'll say it again....E* is less interested in winning as they are in litigating this nonsense into oblivion thus winning by default...

Dish's strategy is probably to try to litigate this until the patents expire or TiVo agrees to a one time licensing fee... There is no incentive for Dish to ever give in to TiVo after it has gone this far. May as well keep appealing and dragging it out as long as possible.

Dish's strategy is probably to try to litigate this until the patents expire or TiVo agrees to a one time licensing fee... There is no incentive for Dish to ever give in to TiVo after it has gone this far. May as well keep appealing and dragging it out as long as possible.

HFS....You know, I've been preaching this rhetoric in every forum, on every site ad naseum since the whole trial BS began...I've been flamed, banned, ignored, threatened, stalked, ridiculed, and who knows what else...

...but you are the first person who in some way, shape or form who ever agreed with me on it. :eek:

I need to get some sleep...

I don't know TiVo's financial worth, but is Charlie trying to litigate them into bankruptcy, then buy them, take them over? Would that work? Go Charlie.

E* needs to get (1) either get a ruling that its DVRs no longer infringe or (2) litigate with Tivo to the point where Charlie can buy it. Either way, Charlie gets to market his hardware to other segments of the industry.

E* needs to get (1) either get a ruling that its DVRs no longer infringe or (2) litigate with Tivo to the point where Charlie can buy it. Either way, Charlie gets to market his hardware to other segments of the industry.

Bingo. And as this trial nonsense drags out ad nauseum, the chances of either of those two scenarios coming into fruition improves little by little...

I was thinking...instead of a licensing agreement, I wonder if E* and Tivo will enter into a partnership? EchoStar could make the hardware and Tivo could brand and market this digital cable ready version of the EchoStar's 922. This would be a killer machine if they could merge all the Tivo HD, VIP Series and Sling features into one box. Additionally, there could be two version of this 922/Series X box: a cable tuner only model for Cable MSO sales, and a two cable tuner/two OTA tuner model for the direct-to-consumer sales. Having been a E* customer for almost three years and after having used a Tivo HD with FiOS TV the past couple months, I would love to see this happen.

I don't know about you, but this sould like a win-win-win situation that could actually help Dish Network add and retain customers.

Unlikely

I was thinking...instead of a licensing agreement, I wonder if E* and Tivo will enter into a partnership? EchoStar could make the hardware and Tivo could brand and market this digital cable ready version of the EchoStar's 922. This would be a killer machine if they could merge all the Tivo HD, VIP Series and Sling features into one box. Additionally, there could be two version of this 922/Series X box: a cable tuner only model for Cable MSO sales, and a two cable tuner/two OTA tuner model for the direct-to-consumer sales. Having been a E* customer for almost three years and after having used a Tivo HD with FiOS TV the past couple months, I would love to see this happen.

I don't know about you, but this sould like a win-win-win situation that could actually help Dish Network add and retain customers.

Cable systems and sat systems use entirely different technolgies. It is highly unlikely to be able to combine all these you you want. They just are not compatible. It would be totally different guts for both machines. You area also bringing in a 3rd totally different technology when you ask about FIOS as well. so you are looking a 3 different boxes here.

Cable systems and sat systems use entirely different technolgies. It is highly unlikely to be able to combine all these you you want. They just are not compatible. It would be totally different guts for both machines. You area also bringing in a 3rd totally different technology when you ask about FIOS as well. so you are looking a 3 different boxes here.
You do realize that EchoStar currently makes Cable products (Sling Modem), licenses Tru2Way cable technology, has been trying to reach set-top-box agreements with Cable MSOs for almost a year, and have announced they will be making a "Cable" version of the 922 available to the Cable community this spring? EchoStar is wanting to get into the Cable set-top-box market and a partnership with Tivo may be the "only way" they will get there. Anyway, I've provided links for your reading pleasure.

http://www.echostar.com/downloads/pdf/news/press_releases/Echostar_tru2way_PR.pdf
http://www.echostar.com/downloads/pdf/news/press_releases/BestofCESJan09.pdf
http://www.echostar.com/downloads/pdf/news/press_releases/Echostar_tru2way_PR.pdf
http://www.echostar.com/downloads/p...s/EchoStar-SlingModem Press Release FINAL.pdf

HFS....You know, I've been preaching this rhetoric in every forum, on every site ad naseum since the whole trial BS began...I've been flamed, banned, ignored, threatened, stalked, ridiculed, and who knows what else...

...but you are the first person who in some way, shape or form who ever agreed with me on it. :eek:

I need to get some sleep...

No one ever flamed you for saying E* might want to delay all they can.

Now your notion that the judge had the hidden agenda of the "new world order" was another story:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)