TiVo and Dish HD programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PJW99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
I was considering doing the D.I.U promotion, but I had a setup/configuration question.

MY CURRENT SETUP:

2 standard definition TV's(one in my living room and one in my bedroom) I have 2 322's(one for each TV). In the living room I have my series 2 TiVo connected to one of the tuners so I can record a program while Im watching something completely different.

MY POTENTIAL NEW SETUP I WAS THINKING ABOUT:

I was going to purchase a new HD TV for the living room. I was thinking about changing the receivers to a 222(for the living room) and a 211 (for the bedoom) In the living room I was thinking about connecting the series 2 TiVo to the standard definition connection on the receiver, so I could still record programs in standard def. Ive thought about the 722 DVR, but that is not an option for me, because I want the capability to burn programs onto a recordable DVD.

Does that sound like an option that will work for me? Or is that not possible based on the design/layout of each device? As crazy as it sounds I want high-definition programming, but dont care as much about being able to record the high definition programming. As long as I could still record standard def. programming that is good enough for me. Thanks.

I was considering doing the D.I.U promotion, but I had a setup/configuration question.

MY CURRENT SETUP:

2 standard definition TV's(one in my living room and one in my bedroom) I have 2 322's(one for each TV). In the living room I have my series 2 TiVo connected to one of the tuners so I can record a program while Im watching something completely different.

MY POTENTIAL NEW SETUP I WAS THINKING about:

I was going to purchase a new HD TV for the living room. I was thinking about changing the receivers to a 222(for the living room) and a 211 (for the bedoom) In the living room I was thinking about connecting the series 2 TiVo to the standard definition connection on the receiver, so I could still record programs in standard def. Ive thought about the 722 DVR, but that is not an option for me, because I want the capability to burn programs onto a recordable DVD.

Does that sound like an option that will work for me? Or is that not possible based on the design/layout of each device? As crazy as it sounds I want high-definition programming, but dont care as much about being able to record the high definition programming. As long as I could still record standard def. programming that is good enough for me. Thanks.

I believe, but have not tried it, that you can record to a SD DVD Recorder. I am almost certain that back in the spring, I recorded a program that we had recorded to our DVR onto a DVD from a friend (it was an SD program from a local station). I know I had the DVD Recorder hooked up to the receiver in our Front Room (just don't remember if it was before we got HD. However, it should work to have the DVD Recorder hooked up to the 722.

Geoff

I have a DVD recorder hooked up. Now with the understanding that it will not record HD as HD (it will record it, but it won't be HD). I use my 622 dish receiver in single mode always.

HDMI to TV, optical audio to AV receiver

Svideo to DVD recorder (yeah I know, but it doesn't input from component) along with standard audio

Stop right here....
Now I can record to DVD anything that's playing on the 622. Whether it's playing from the DVR or live... if it's output to the TV.... it's also output to the DVD recorder.

You can also split your OTA, send some to dish receiver and some to DVD recorder and let it scan channels. Now your DVD recorder can independantly record OTA.

I don't know anything about TiVo :)

Why not get an external hard drive for the 722 so you don't have to worry about disk space?

I was actually considering that. However I was told by a friend that the recordings are encrypted so I wouldnt be able to burn it onto a DVD like I do now with my series 2 TiVo.

Also with the price of AT200 and AT250 with locals being exactly the same as Dish DVR Advantage I may just go with having 2 DVR's (1 Dish HD DVR for the living room and my TiVo for the bedroom)

Or as a possible 3rd option I was thinking I would move my existing living room setup( standard definition TV, TiVo and 322 receiver to the bedroom) and then go with a 211 for the living room

Decisions, Decisions. Anyways thanks again for all of the input guys.

DVR w/ RAID

Those looking for archival storage for DVR video might want to look at a RAID. Once these are formatted, they look like one hard drive so they should work as external storage for your DVR. So if recording material on DVD is for backup purposes, a RAID might be another option.

Arrays operating in RAID 1 (mirror) mode give you redundant storage: loose one drive and you do not loose the content. You pay around $500 for a 1.5 TB 2-disc array (750 GB of redundant storage) and around $800 for a 2 TB. There are also larger arrays that use more drives. More drives means less space is needed for redundancy: n+1 redundancy for RAID 5, etc. means 4 750 GB drives gives you 2.25TB (750 GB + 3). But these arrays are usually more $$.

Any external storage plugged into a Dish DVR stores encrypted material so you'd need to play it back on a receiver registered to the same account as the one it was recorded from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts