Tivo and HD separate receivers on same TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cgraigy11

Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I just called Expert Satellite to sign up for DirecTV and I said I wanted an HD receiver and a TIVO receiver. The salesman told me I could not have the HD receiver and the TIVO receiver going into the same TV. Why? That makes absolutely 0 sense to me. I want a TIVO receiver and an HD receiver going into the same TV. Is this possible? Thanks.

There is no rule saying you can't have 2 receivers on the same TV. If you didn't want to get the HD Directivo you can get a regular HD receiver on Component or DVI and the Directivo on S-Video.

That's exactly what I have. HTL-HD via component and SD Tivo via s-video to the same RPTV. I can have 3 or 4 or even 5 connected to it if I wanted to. I can do 2 components, 1 DVI, and 2 s-video... as well as all the composite inputs as well.

I think the salesman is confused.

Exactly what I thought. Thanks guys. Any recommendations on where to get DirecTV?

I have the same setup ... HTL-HD and HDVR2 on the same TV.

VE seems to be popular, I have always self-installed so I go where it is the cheapest ... I picked up a Tivo at BB for 79.99. Sounds like those are dropping in price soon too.

Same here. I have a HDVR2 and Samsung 360 on the same TV.

After I bought 2 HDVR2's at Circuit City for $49.00 each last November, I got the Samsung from customer retention for $68.00, after I told them I had a Dishnetwork 6000 for HD only.

They were more then happy to help me switch. :)

Can someone take pics of their setup and post it here?
or email it to me and I will post it, so we can see how it is hooked up?
thanks,

I don know that a picture would do much good, but I can tell you that I have a Sony KP61HS30 and have my inputs set as follows:

HD=Samsung 360-RBG
Sat=DirecTivo-S-video
DVD=DVD player-S-video
VCR= VCR Player- RCA cables
Game= Front input for Playstation

I have a triple LNB DirecTV dish with a 4x8 multi-switch feeding my receivers.

I also have an Onkyo surround sound system with optical inputs running from the DVD and Samsung HD receiver. The DirecTivo and VCR are hooked up using RCA cables due to having only 2 optical inputs on the Onkyo.

Phil, do you have a playstation 1 or 2? If you have a PS2 you know that they make a high def kit for it?

Phil -Specifically concerning your DirectTivo, and HD setup.....

How many feeds from the satellite to you have coming into the display with both DirectTivo and HD Setup?

do you have 3 feeds?

2 feeds for DirectTivo
1 feed for HD?

Thanks

jl0810,

That is correct. I also have 2 additional feeds for a DirecTivo in another room, so I have a total of 5 active feeds coming from my 4x8 switch.

Neutron,

I didn't know about a HD Playstation adapter, but it is for my twin 17 year old daughters. They can buy their own HD switch if they want to. :)

I have a Mitz 65712 and I have HTL-HD Component 1080 i and HDVR2 S video a Xbox Component 480P ,PS2 Component , DvD 480P,Game cube S Video, and VCR Ant connection. So you can hook up a few things to one TV.

Just hooked mine up yesterday

I have a Samsung SIR360 HD receiver, Samsung TIVO, DVD player/surround sound system, VCR, XBOX all hooked up to my Panasonic 47" HDTV. Works great...I have the DTV 3LNB dish with one line to the HD, two for TIVO, one to back bedroom TV.

Right now, Circuit City has the Hughes TIVO unit for $59 after $40 rebate...cost $99-$40 mail-in = $59

PS...after reading some posts here; I got the Monster Component cable for my HD receiver. There is a noticable difference with these cables on my new Samsung SIR360 vs. the old Hughes E-86 and "cheap" plastic component cables.

Status
Please reply by conversation.