Tivo coming to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Shouldnt it really be 100% are not using tivo for HD. There what only 5 or 6 channels that are not mp4 yet.

The tivo subs are dwendling because it makes no sense to keep a broken tivo. your tivo breaks and you have the protection plan and they say we like to offer you a deal free hd dvr ( I am talking to people who have SD DTivos not the HR10-250 tivo. But there a standing order with dtv to replace hr10 free of charge with a hr2x . People like there tivos but there not stupid they are going to swap out a sd tivo with a broken 2nd tuner for a free HD DVR.

Now you take people who cant tell up from down. And asked them to use say a hr2x with tivo software vs standard hr2x .... I want to see who wouldnt want tivo over dtv current crapstatic software.

Personally I think dtv really not all that interested in dealing with fixing bugs in there dvrs other then the major ones. The same annoyances that were in my friends R15 3 years ago are still in my hr22.

Dish moves slow to fix things but jeesh! I would pay good money to have even hafl the functionality of my 722 back.

The only thing I regret about the switch is the HR22 box. DTV DVR options are crap hence why now I have Dtivos and UTV till the mpeg4 transistion.

Any theories/ideas on whether Tivo will sell the new DVRs directly? It would be nice to pay for the lifetime subscription and not have a DVR fee.

You waaaayyyyy overestimate the "want" for Tivo. There were only at their peak 250K HR10's. Based on the Citi call yesterday there are over 5.5 million DirecTV subs now with HD (most of which have the DVR). And growing. And Tivo stand alone subs keep on going down. Basically other then a few hard core Tivo'ites the general public does not care one bit what the UI is on their DVR, just so long as they have one. A new HD DirecTivo will certainly get some subs, but not really all that many compared to the big numbers.

Your numbers will be skewed in the case of Tivo because there is no "upgrade" plan in going to another Tivo HD DVR. DirecTV has positioned itself to be the only player when it comes to their receivers. Hence when you talk about strong numbers in reference to HD DVRs there is no "other" alternative.

As for UI, your probably correct the general public might not care so long as they have that one works for them.

Your numbers will be skewed in the case of Tivo because there is no "upgrade" plan in going to another Tivo HD DVR. DirecTV has positioned itself to be the only player when it comes to their receivers. Hence when you talk about strong numbers in reference to HD DVRs there is no "other" alternative.

Well you are correct. My comment was more meant toward those who thought that DirecTV was going under because they kicked Tivo to the curb and that the masses would revolt that there was no Tivo. Obviously that wasn't and didn't happen, also as evidenced by the tens of millions of people with cable DVRs and the still shrinking numbers of Tivo stand alone subs.

But I digress. :)

And now Tivo at CES refused to talk about the new DirecTV product and would only say no comment. That after gushing over themselves at every turn the past 6 months to talk about it. Along with being delayed to 2010 (at least) plus the fact that DirecTV hasn't said one single word about it since their small press release last summer, doesn't bode well for this box ever seeing the light of day.

And now Tivo at CES refused to talk about the new DirecTV product and would only say no comment. That after gushing over themselves at every turn the past 6 months to talk about it. Along with being delayed to 2010 (at least) plus the fact that DirecTV hasn't said one single word about it since their small press release last summer, doesn't bode well for this box ever seeing the light of day.

well I guess that's one way to look at it. others might see it as if they weren't going to do anything you don't lose much by just admitting that the project has been canceled. like you said yourself, D hasn't been hurt by making their own Dvr's. if there's nothing in the works it couldn't hurt saying so either.

I think it will see the light of day. Just not in the originally planned time frame, more like a year or so late. I have a suspicion that TIVO is finding out just how much more complicated D*'s systems are now with Ka Hi/Lo sats, interactive functions, Mpeg 4, etc., than they were when they last made software for D* boxes.

Going by TIVO's efforts at Comcast - still in limited deployment, and Cox - still in internal testing I think late 2010 might just be an a more accurate projection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)