Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
source: TVWEEK.COM
By Jay Sherman
Digital video recorder maker TiVo continued its winning ways Thursday, posting better-than-expected fiscal first-quarter results amid robust subscriber additions through DirecTV and TiVo's own retail partners.

The Alviso, Calif.-based company reported a narrowed loss of $857,000 for the three months ended April 30, compared with year-earlier red ink of $8.7 million. Revenue jumped 36 percent to $46.9 million.

Fueling much of the growth was service revenue from TiVo's DVR product, which surged more than 75 percent during the quarter to $38.3 million. The main driver was the addition of 319,000 new subscribers in the quarter, bringing TiVo's total subscriber base to 3.3 million.

TiVo's relationship with DirecTV to provide DVR service to its satellite subscribers continued to benefit the company, with 247,000 of the 319,000 new subscribers added in the quarter coming from the satellite provider.

In the past, that relationship has cast a dark cloud over TiVo as DirecTV moves to deploy a competitor's DVR and de-emphasize the TiVo relationship. However, earlier this spring TiVo got a huge boost when it and cable titan Comcast struck a deal to develop a version of the TiVo service for the cable operator.

Since the multiyear agreement was struck, TiVo shares have staged a comeback. They are up 10 percent since January, after falling more than 40 percent in mid-February.

tivo made a ton of money because a lot of people didnt mail in thier rebate form!!! http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/05/27/BUG95CUO1J1.DTL&feed=rss.business The Alviso firm, which has routinely posted net losses in the tens of millions, sharply trimmed its net loss for the quarter ending April 30 to $857, 000, or 1 cent per share. Its bottom line received a greater-than-expected boost when new subscribers failed to redeem about $5 million worth of rebate offers.

It amazes me that thousands of people felt it wasnt worth the 5 minutes time and effort to send in for a $100 rebate. Boy I feel like a poor schlep since I mailed in a $3 Cherrios rebate yesterday. :(

juan said:
tivo made a ton of money because a lot of people didnt mail in thier rebate form!!! http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/05/27/BUG95CUO1J1.DTL&feed=rss.business The Alviso firm, which has routinely posted net losses in the tens of millions, sharply trimmed its net loss for the quarter ending April 30 to $857, 000, or 1 cent per share. Its bottom line received a greater-than-expected boost when new subscribers failed to redeem about $5 million worth of rebate offers.

WRONG! There are a ton of people starting a class-action suit about the rebates. The rebate firm consistently refused to pay rebates on valid receipts submitted and marked rebates as paid, never sending out checks.

I was in this group for 13 months, with 4 unit rebates @ $50/unit. first, 4 months went by, they said I did not submit upc code, I had, 2 months more, missing unit id, wrong, I did, and had to fax them a copy of my copy showing I had, then 3 more months, and it was marked paid, waited 4 months, and after screaming yet again, finally got the rebates. 13 total months!

There are many in the tivocommunity.com group who were put in the same boat.

^^^^I've noticed a lot of companies doing this recently. I had a delivery rebate from Lowes come back to me as not having a legible copy of the receipt. I sent it out and it was perfect so I went down to Lowes and they gave me the $60 right then. I got the distinct feeling from the CSR that I wasn't the first person who had this happen to :rolleyes:.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)