TiVo downloads guide but can't see the dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TadPops

Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
I've spent two weekends trying to get my Direct TV Tivo working. I am to the point that the Tivo says I have 95% signal strength, and has downloaded the guide, but it still won't "see" my dish (Round, 2LNB, run through a 3/4 multiswitch). I have a regular Direct TV receiver in another room that works just fine - anywhere with any configuration. All my settings on the receiver that works are the same on the Tivo. Why is it the TiVo can see signal strength and download the guide but not "see" the dish?

I've spent two weekends trying to get my Direct TV Tivo working. I am to the point that the Tivo says I have 95% signal strength, and has downloaded the guide, but it still won't "see" my dish (Round, 2LNB, run through a 3/4 multiswitch). I have a regular Direct TV receiver in another room that works just fine - anywhere with any configuration. All my settings on the receiver that works are the same on the Tivo. Why is it the TiVo can see signal strength and download the guide but not "see" the dish?

If the dish he has is round with 2LNBs... is it possible you have a DishNetwork dish and not a directv dish?

It is definitely Direct TV - the front receiver is Direct TV, the logo on the dish is Direct TV, the remote for the receiver that works has the Direct TV logo, the guide is a Direct TV guide - and I've had the service for over a year - just the TiVo, which also has the Direct TV logo on it, is new. Nice thought, though.

It is definitely Direct TV - the front receiver is Direct TV, the logo on the dish is Direct TV, the remote for the receiver that works has the Direct TV logo, the guide is a Direct TV guide - and I've had the service for over a year - just the TiVo, which also has the Direct TV logo on it, is new. Nice thought, though.

Do you have an on screen error message, if so what does it say?

Also, go into the satellite signal area and tell me if you have all of your transponders showing signal or if half are missing.

If you have even and odd transponders and full signal... then your tuner may just be fried and you need a new DVR.

Do you have an on screen error message, if so what does it say?

Also, go into the satellite signal area and tell me if you have all of your transponders showing signal or if half are missing.

If you have even and odd transponders and full signal... then your tuner may just be fried and you need a new DVR.

Or a cable is damaged/crimped or a connector is hosed.

To test the box itself use a multimeter on 20 volts. use a coax jumper (one can prob be found from the box to your TV). Touch the negative to the connector and positive to the stinger, Set to search Transponder 1, it should read 13.xx volts and transponder 2 should show 18.xx volts. If they dont then the box is toast.

Thank you guys for all your help - but the Tivo ended up being fried. However, I still have a wiring problem, but I think I've figured it out. What follows is my wiring diagram and what I think is the solution at the bottom. I'd appreciate confirmation of my solution (or that I'm wrong). Thanks!

Direct TV dish, round, 2LNB, both lines to a Samsung 3-to-4 multiswitch. My regular antenna is on the third lead into the multiswitch.

From the multiswitch to the living room is one coax cable, 50-footer, to a Holland STVC splitter that has a specific output line for the dish and one for the antenna. From there, coaxes to the dish, the DVR, etc. This setup works like a champ.

From the multiswitch to the back room: one 25" coax (which is actually too long, but is what I had - it will get replaced with a shorter one). This goes to a RadioShack satellite combiner, along with the antenna wire, and then a 50-foot coax into the house. From there to a RadioShack satellite splitter, with the antenna going to do its thing (and working perfectly) and the other to the receiver. To see if the problem was in the inside splitter, I took the line coming into the house directly to the receiver - still nothing.

Looking at my set-ups and based on what I've read that ya'll have sent me, please let me know if I need to do the following:

buy another multi-switch to use to combine the antenna and satellite lines on the roof instead of the regular combiner

and

buy another splitter like the Holland that is specifically labeled satellite and dish

or

can I get away with just the new interior splitter and not have to crawl on my roof again? I really hate that part.

Okay, gang, never mind. If I had thought for a minute, I would have absolutely realized I need an additonal mulit-switch, since I had it hooked directly to the receiver and was getting nothing - the problem couldn't be inside at that point. Good news - betcha it works tomorrow when I can get back on the roof - plus I can take out that extra 25-footer and thus will also have a stronger signal. The bad news - gotta get on the roof again. Will let ya'll know if successful. Thanks again!

Okay, gang - new wiring diagram:
Dish to Samsung Mulitswitch, with antenna into the Ant In post
1 coax out from the multiswitch into the house
Coax into the RadioShack diplexer
Sat out coax to Sat In 1
Coax out to TV
And we are back to "Cant' find right side of dish" (but at least it is finding part of the dish - this is good?)
Now what?

Never mind - I did one last, desperate thing, and it worked. I moved the coax into the multiswitch from one post to the other. I am now in business in both rooms (although the TiVo's tuner is still kaput, unfortunately).
Thanks again everyone for your help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)