tivo hd?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jkh1978

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
We got a new tv, that used the R10 receiver. My wife loves the tivo features. I see some old websites that says there is a new partnership between directv and tivo. Should we wait to upgrade to that HD DVR? Does anyone know any rumored dates?

Its smelling like sometime about 4-7 months from now. I believe its going to come out on a new piece of hardware, the HR24.

So you're going to have a brand spanking new piece of HW and a brand new piece of SW. I'm betting its a little less than 100% for at least 6-9 months.

By getting and activating the receivers, you'll also be entering a new 24 month agreement with directv that has a good sized early termination fee.

So if you want HD now, dont want to experience growing pains with a new product, or dont want a long term agreement, you might want to look at a tivo HD and cable, fios or whatever other options you've got available.

I think I agree with you on all three counts. I just dont think I'd make my HD DVR choice an HR20/21/22/23, especially coming from a tivo user thats happy with what they have.

Both my parents and my wifes parents are long time tivo users. I hooked both up with an HR20 and both hated it. Flipped them over to a Tivo HD and both have been happy campers for over a year.

I think the HR's are good DVR's for people who have had directv (non tivo, non DVR) receivers for a while, or who never have had a DVR. The changeover from people who have had good tivo experiences to the directv DVR's has not been a good one for me, or anyone else I know.

I came from the TiVo world and my transition went very well. I had SD DirecTV TiVos (T60 and DSR6000) and also the HD version (HR10-250). None of these are currently active on my account. I basically had to replace the HR10 with the HR23 when DirecTV turned off the MPEG2 DNS channels, as the HR10 could no longer be used to resolve DNS conflicts.

I'd also like to point out that the UI for the new HR24? may not be exactly like the older TiVos. And who's to say that the unit won't have some growing pains. :)

I'd also like to point out that the UI for the new HR24? may not be exactly like the older TiVos. And who's to say that the unit won't have some growing pains. :)

You mean like the previous D* HD Tivo HR10-250 (I think that was the model number). The HDMI kept failing and a lot of people had to go through several machines to get a working unit.

I would hate to go through that again.

I'm thinking that a hardware related unit specific problem involving a chipset that hasnt been made since 2005 is pretty unlikely to be a persistent issue in a completely new platform 5 years later.

But if I were making a clean decision today, I doubt I'd wait for it either.

I'm thinking more in the line of the software operation. Hopefully, the new unit will have the same support in the cutting edge beta program that the Hr2xs have now.

I was waiting for the new unit, but DirecTV pulled the MPEG2 and forced my hand. There's no need for me to get a third DVR.

I was a long time TiVo user. The DIRECTV HD DVR was different but I didn't hate it.

Within a week or so of getting the DIRECTV DVR I never missed the TiVo.

I guess some people adapt to new things more easily than others.

You mean like the previous D* HD Tivo HR10-250 (I think that was the model number). The HDMI kept failing and a lot of people had to go through several machines to get a working unit.

I doubt that they wouild have a HDMI issue anymore, a lot of that had to do with it being new (HDMI)

I guess some people adapt to new things more easily than others.

I dont have a big problem with adaptation. What I have trouble with is missing features, features that dont work right, the erratic performance, missing remote button presses or doubling button presses, the remote control with too many small buttons too close together and poor ergonomics, etc.

A big part of it is also expectations, which is why I try to balance the postings when someone asks the "I have a tivo and i'm thinking of..." question.

When I was ready to move to HD, I went to a popular satellite tv web site (not this one) and posed the question. I was told unequivocally that the directv HR2x was not only as good as a tivo hd, but better and rock solid. That turned out to be a real disservice to me.

What I've found is that some features on the directv box are in fact better. Some are worse. Some are much worse. And a lot of people saying "this is better than tivo" are measuring against 5+ year old R10's and HR10-250's, not the current tivo product.

So its part the needs of the user, its part the expectations that are set, and its part adaptation.

They weren't all bad. I was one of the first adopters and mine worked perfectly until the day I sold it and replaced it with a D* HD DVR.

The only thing I ever did to it was replace the cooling fan because the old one got too noisy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)