Tivo must have phone line?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Does the Tivos and HD Tivos have to have a phone line? I can hook it up for initial setup by way of a wireless phone jack but the wireless phone jacks lock up my phone line for some reason and I can't leave them hooked up. Do I have to leave the Tivo plugged in?

You need the phone line only if you want to order PPV using the remote. Otherwise you don't need it, but you will get a nag message after awhile but you can ignore it.

Not true. DVR's do need an inital phone call to set up. after that the nagging message Spin wrote about it true. They do make a thing called a wireless modem jack. That can be utilized with the DVR. Im a huge fan of the showcases and those will only update with the phone line. My advise is do what you can to connect one. The overall experience will be much better.

OK I have it plugged in to my VOIP and it keeps failing... it WILL NOT go thru I have tryed every option and it wont finish setup and quite frankly is becoming VERY annoying.

I called directv and the CSR transferred me to installer support but it hung up on me :(

Who is your VOIP provider. There are some solutions using VOIP but directv won't be able to help you.

Try setting your dial prefix to ,#019

Spin said:
Who is your VOIP provider. There are some solutions using VOIP but directv won't be able to help you.

Try setting your dial prefix to ,#019

The directv CSR told me to set the dial prefix to ,#034 and up my bandwidth to 50 kbs on my vonage... I am still fighting with it but she said I might want to check out tivocommunity.com also

Also she had me change the dial prefix to 2122773895 which I found kind of odd as that is the area that you turn off call waiting etc... but *shrug*

I fought with it and finally got it to dial out and finish setup... I should not need the phone line past now correct?

For the future you may want to call Vonage (if thats your VOIP provider) and get them to send you a filter. That way you can keep it connected. But it will run forever now without a phone line.

I believe you can also have vonage and have them change a setting. I have that, the phone to use max bandwidth, and the tivo set to ,#019 and a DSL filter in reverse and I don't have any problems at all.

maogdamian said:
For the future you may want to call Vonage (if thats your VOIP provider) and get them to send you a filter. That way you can keep it connected. But it will run forever now without a phone line.

Vonage tryed turning my line temporarily into a fax line and it did NOTHING. I didn't have luck until I tryed real late at night later on after all settings were changed back... I fought with it and it finally went through... It has updated at least once since then with no problem.

Weird.

call vonage and tell them your tivo problem..they will change the echo settings and if worse comes to worse, the packet size...then..use the NY numbers as the dial number and for the call waiting put *99. you should be good to go...mine is working like a champ...

theslag said:
call vonage and tell them your tivo problem..they will change the echo settings and if worse comes to worse, the packet size...then..use the NY numbers as the dial number and for the call waiting put *99. you should be good to go...mine is working like a champ...

They tryed all of that and it didn't work... Like I said they even changed my line over to a data/fax line basically and it still didn't work... I got it to go through though... so I am fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts